Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

I would say that this is the most difficult choice United have ever faced.

Whoever takes over will be in pretty perilous position if it goes a bit wonky. Especially if Ferguson hangs around the club in some role and the fans start getting on the new guy.

I don't get why everyone thinks it has to be Mourinho though. He's a collector more than anything, he hasn't stayed at a club for more than a handful of seasons, hardly in the Ferguson mould of loyalty and commitment. He'd be a great short-term appointment obviously but I think Jurgen Klopp is the only man for the job, apart from maaaaaaaaybe Moyes.

He would be the perfect choice to take over, that's why. He would bring immediate success to appease any doubters. Nobody is saying he would stay there as long as Fergie did.

You could do a hell of a lot worse then Moyes. For example it could be Steve Bruce

• Like 1

I don't get why everyone thinks it has to be Mourinho though. He's a collector more than anything, he hasn't stayed at a club for more than a handful of seasons, hardly in the Ferguson mould of loyalty and commitment. He'd be a great short-term appointment obviously but I think Jurgen Klopp is the only man for the job, apart from maaaaaaaaybe Moyes.

He would be the perfect choice to take over, that's why. He would bring immediate success to appease any doubters. Nobody is saying he would stay there as long as Fergie did.

The problem being that if a club starts saying "our ideal is a long-term appointment, and yes, we picked this guy because he's the best and will bring immediate success in the short-term...but the NEXT guy is totally going to be the long-term one", it can be a very difficult cycle to break out of.

• Like 2

I'm amazed this hasn't got it's own thread. I don't come in to the Sports Bar often, but I had to for this. It's the end of a massive era in not just Man Utd's history, but in the history of competitive football. No manager has so consistently done at one club what Fergie has done during his tenure at Utd. The man is an absolute legend, and love him or hate him you should respect the man who has spent the last two plus decades as the top manager in one of the top divisions in the world.

Fuck the speculation about who's next, let's just appreciate what he's done over the last twenty plus years as a behemoth of English and international football.

• Like 1

I choose to remember Sir Alex Ferguson as a kind black man who loved birds.

• Like 7

I remember him single handedly rescuing the chewing gum industry during the recession

Moyes massive favourite at the moment. He's a gem of a manager and I think he'd do well at United, lacks a bit of European experience but that's something he can pick up on the way. Exciting, if not a little strange, times at United at the moment. Next season will be fun!

I think it'll be a very big ask for Moyes. I can't see it ending well.

This is what I think. Hopefully they won't do a Chelsea and bin him after a season.