Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

I can't see Guardiola turning Villa round at this stage. It is just a shambles there, bad move after bad move since O'Neill left. At one stage Randy Lerner looked like the beacon for what all foreign owners should be like but there's been a few wrong turns on this road in recent years.

It's astounding that a team with so many very promising youngsters is doing so poorly but it's true that you need the right blend and there are no leaders in this team, bar maybe Richard Dunne?

Harry Redknapp would have been perfect for us if he hadn't already gone to QPR. I know he hates the title "wheeler and dealer" but that's exactly what 'Arry is and it's exactly what we need. Somebody who can bring in experienced players on a shoestring budget, much like he did at West Ham and Pompey.

Lambert has to go. I, too, was excited by his appointment in the summer but there is no excuse for losing to Southampton and Wigan at Villa Park when we are desperate for points and getting absolutely tanked 8-0 at Stamford Bridge and then getting hammered 4-0 at Villa Park courtesy of Spurs. At the very least we have to be competitive against those teams.

I can't see Guardiola turning Villa round at this stage. It is just a shambles there, bad move after bad move since O'Neill left. At one stage Randy Lerner looked like the beacon for what all foreign owners should be like but there's been a few wrong turns on this road in recent years.

It's astounding that a team with so many very promising youngsters is doing so poorly but it's true that you need the right blend and there are no leaders in this team, bar maybe Richard Dunne?

That is the key problem. Its good having these youngsters who have potential but its not what you need when you are stuck in a relegation dogfight. Having a look at the starting line up of: Guzan, Clark, Stevens, Baker, Lowton, N'Zogbia, Westwood, Delph, Holman, Benteke and Weimann that isn't a starting XI I'd have faith in.

That squad looks more like a team that would benefit in getting relegated and trying to come back up in the first season of trying. If I was Villa its either A) Cut Lambert and try and bring someone in for the rest of the season, give them the transfer window to try and bring in some key players and hopefully stay up or B) Have faith in Lambert, stick with him and hope that it works out.

But even with that option in B, looking at the squad and the players it just screams to me "This team isn't good enough now but will be in a few seasons". I can't really comment on performances of the players because I can only go off things like MOTD or seeing the game against us but really Guzan and Benteke have been the stand out players for me, Weimann looks impressive at times and the rest are just a bit meh. Is there any estimation on when Petrov might be back?

Benteke and Weimann up front is fine but when you look at the rest they simply aren't good enough. At this stage of their careers, the likes of Baker, Stevens, Westwood, Delph (who I think is complete dog shit, by the way), Lichaj and Bannan are squad players at best. You just can't integrate that many young players into a team all at once at any level, especially not the Premier League.

I fear another stuffing at the Baggies next week.

Building for the future is all well and good but we need to take care of the present first. Benteke has been pretty poor the last two or three games. I'd play Weimann and Agbonlahor up front the next game.

He had a poor game (some credit to Duke of course) against Bradford also. We lack some defensive steel which, coupled with a manager known for his extensive knowledge of German football and along with the fact we bought a man known as "Concrete Ron", is laughable.

He needs to play Ireland more too. He may be an arrogant and a little egotistical but he has that killer ball in him that we severely lack.

Delph had his first good game but normally he's been shit. Warnock and Ireland should be playing. N'Zogbia is useless for us.

Vlaar is good. We need another centreback and a defensive midfielder though. Then another midfielder if we can.

Possibly but Warnock isn't as quick as he used to be. Clarks got some pace

It's nice speaking to a Villa fan who agrees Lambert needs to go. The amount i know who say "Stick with him" is staggering.

I'd take Sven at this point.

I like Lambert. Thought he was the answer and I imagine his longterm plan would be okay. However shortterm we'll go down and miss out on the biggest tv payment ever. Need to stay up. We need a man who can motivate a team and keep us up. Not sure it's Lambert now.

I've pretty much lost faith in Lambert as well. Could've forgiven the 8-0 and 3-0 to Spurs, but losing to Southampton, Wigan and Bradford is not good enough. Was supposed to go to the game today but tbh, I'm glad the weather meant that I couldn't. And I think everyone is overrating Benteke slightly, he has been pretty inconsistant. Weimann is probably the best performer for us at the minute.

@LFC: Confirmed #LFC team v Man Utd: Reina, Wisdom, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Downing,

subs: Jones, Carragher, Henderson, Sturridge, Borini, Shelvey, Robinson.

Andre Wisdom is going to have a long day. Borini on the bench.