Django Unchained

GoGo Yubari

I'll be so damn pissed if the Mayans were right and the world ends this year. Not because I'd die but because I'd miss out on this. I don't think there's a word that exists that accurately describes my excitement for this.

I don't know. This time around, I'm a bit skeptical. Apparently there was A LOT of people who dropped out during the production of the film, so I'm wondering if there is more to the big names who left during production.

I haven't seen anything about any big names dropping out except for Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who had to drop out because he was also in the middle of his directorial debut. The other big names I've heard - Will Smith, Jonah Hill, etc - were only rumours or busy with other projects, never actually attached to the film. Hill was in the middle of filming Neighborhood Attack, and Smith was just rumoured - the only person I can find who dropped out to due to anything other than "scheduling conflicts" is Kurt Russell.

Yeah Sacha Baron Cohen, Kevin Costner, Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Kurt Russell were the ones I had heard. I remember reading an article a few months back about it and being caught off guard. It just seemed a bit strange for a big director like Tarantino to lose a lot of big name actors on such a high profile movie.

I have a feeling this one's going to be tough to defend after the fact.

They have the built-in "but that's really how they talked in those days" excuse, but that's not going to go much further than "I have black friends and they say it's okay" usually does.

The Sacha Baron-Cohen one was apparently about The Dictator's press tour conflicting with shooting dates, so I wouldn't read into that one too much.

The Sacha Baron-Cohen one was apparently about The Dictator's press tour conflicting with shooting dates, so I wouldn't read into that one too much.

Yeah, his was just a cameo anyways. The Russell thing is a bit odd but apparently the character was pretty much just absorbed by the character Walton Goggins is playing and honestly, I'd rather see Goggins than Russell anyways.

Tarantino wrote the Django character with Will Smith in mind but Smith declined even though everybody around him apparently said he should. Cloudy is right about Hill though because apparently he would've been in it had it not been for The Watch. And Tarantino apparently gave Gordon-Levitt his "blessing" to leave to pursue his directing gig.

So the cast turnover, while not common, doesn't really seem indicative of the content of the film.

On the Will Smith front... It just goes to show that the guy would jump through the highest of hurdles to protect his clean image. This is totally not his type of film.

And thank god for that. I'd rather watch Jamie Foxx act in anything rather than Will Smith "act" in anything.

• Like 2

I loved Christoph Waltz in Basterds and thought he seriously made the movie. I'll probably watch this to see Waltz again..

They have the built-in "but that's really how they talked in those days" excuse, but that's not going to go much further than "I have black friends and they say it's okay" usually does.

Did I miss something? I didn't note anything.. too off about the accent that Foxx was using.

Did I miss something? I didn't note anything.. too off about the accent that Foxx was using.

I think some of us are operating on the assumption that Tarantino's script has multiple instances of characters acting in a racist manner through language and/or action. Given the setting and Tarantino's past comfortability with terminology and imagery many other people in his position would not share, I think it's a pretty safe bet.

Without actually seeing the film, it's hard to say it's careless with the subject matter or outright racist, but I can see a lot of people having that reaction sooner or later.

I am interested in seeing it, but cautiously so.

This film looks awesome. Huge Tarantino fan. But the youtube comments... urgh. Are there that many stupid people in this world?

Edited by deli2000

So the cast turnover, while not common, doesn't really seem indicative of the content of the film.

Yes and no. High cast turnover rate could be completely coincidental, or could mean that many people were uncomfortable with the content of the film or didn't think it was really all that good. Again, just me being skeptical. I'll be in line to check it out. I'm not a huge Tarantino fan, but I like to check out his films because it's always an interesting experience.