Board Game thread

So today I did two things;

• Played my first game of Terraforming Mars with my girlfriend, who was totally into it. Took just over 2 hours and I finally understand what people mean by engine building games. It's so satisfying - she did a better job with it as well, and won out in the end.
  • Found an even better board game shop in town, they have almost my whole want list - so I picked up Viticulture: Essential Edition and I'm super pumped to play that as well.

4 minutes ago, apsham said:

• Found an even better board game shop in town, they have almost my whole want list - so I picked up Viticulture: Essential Edition and I'm super pumped to play that as well.

Beeeeeeeeeeeee careful. I have a gameshop on my way home from work that's essentially a boardgame warehouse with every game known to man. It takes everything in my power not to stop in there a couple times a week to pick something up. :lol:

:( 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Meacon said:

Beeeeeeeeeeeee careful. I have a gameshop on my way home from work that's essentially a boardgame warehouse with every game known to man. It takes everything in my power not to stop in there a couple times a week to pick something up. :lol:

:( 

Oh I... already want to go back down tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you guys might like to see my little games box. I take it camping, when I go visit my partner, when we do long train rides, basically anywhere we might have some time to kill.

PSX_20190826_143517.jpg

It fits in an old tin, the modern equivalent is the altoids tin. The price on the label is 25 1/2 p so the tin is older than me.

It's 10 X 6 X 2 cm.

PSX_20190826_143436.jpg

It holds eight dice, the twelve tiles needed to play LESS, a mini card deck, Pass The Pigs, the board to play Coinage, as well as enough coins to use as tokens. It also holds instructions for Pigs, Coinage, and cheat sheets for the dice games Yahtzee and Decathlon.

So yeah, as well as the above, you can play any card or dice game, Cribbage, Idiot, Colonnade, Buck Dice, etc. And the back of the tin is a magnetic white board for keeping score.

PSX_20190826_143352.jpg

And it all packs away into a pocket sized tin

PSX_20190826_143505.jpg

• Like 11

My recent haul of board games includes;

• Barenpark
  • Dark Souls: TCG
  • Hive Pocket
  • One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows
  • Terraforming Mars: Prelude & Map expansions
  • Trogdor
  • Viticulture Essential Edition

And the two big ones I want to talk about;

Wingspan

Wingspan-Game-Experience.jpg&f=1

Look at those birds! Look at how well created and put together it is! This game is actually stupidly fun and all of the bird cards are unique which is super cool too. I've yet to win but I've had fun every time we've played. Plus it came with a dice tower shaped like a bird feeder with wooden dice, so that's really neat.

Dominion

_MG_9778.JPG&f=1

The fact that this card game has been out for over a decade now and I haven't been playing it sucks. We've played it every night since I picked it up, picked up one expansion to it and have a few more planned or on the way. It seems slow at first and then by the time that you're chaining like 7-8 actions in a row and doing a bunch of crazy stuff, it really starts to take off. And there are so many cards that make for so much variety. It's awesome.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I love Dominion so much!

We picked up Intrigue as a first expansion, and the local shops all have Seaside constantly in stock so I got a shop to order in Prosperity. That's all the first expansions and the ones that don't add too much complexity so I'll probably be good with them for a bit. But yeah, I love the heck out of it! I was looking for a deck builder and I didn't realize that it was the game that coined the term.

Dominion is one of those games that I've looked at but never got round to picking up, though since I can see unopened boxes of King of Tokyo, Kingdomino, Mangaka and Carcassonne next to me right now due to other things in the rotation I probably won't get round to it for a while. With our Blood Bowl season about to start (I've cobbled together a team after a couple of hundred quids worth of minis were stolen...) and talk of a Necromunda campaign kicking off which will push it down a bit too!

On 27/08/2019 at 16:26, lanky316 said:

Dominion is one of those games that I've looked at but never got round to picking up, though since I can see unopened boxes of King of Tokyo, Kingdomino, Mangaka and Carcassonne next to me right now due to other things in the rotation I probably won't get round to it for a while. With our Blood Bowl season about to start (I've cobbled together a team after a couple of hundred quids worth of minis were stolen...) and talk of a Necromunda campaign kicking off which will push it down a bit too!

If you want to play Dominion.... https://dominion.games/

• 4 weeks later...

Would anyone be up for a One Night Ultimate Werewolf game sometime? I found a site where you can set a game up, but I haven't really fiddled with it yet. 

EDIT: Nevermind. It appears to just be intended for playing with other people in the room. 

I really want to play some Resistance or Werewolf or something..

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh hey! http://www.theresistanceplus.com/

• Like 2

On 22/09/2019 at 11:56, Rey Cloudy said:

Would anyone be up for a One Night Ultimate Werewolf game sometime? I found a site where you can set a game up, but I haven't really fiddled with it yet. 

EDIT: Nevermind. It appears to just be intended for playing with other people in the room. 

I want to play One Night Ultimate Werewolf since watching the Achievement Hunter people play it.

And Resistance is fun! If you want to play it, grab the free MINDNIGHT on steam. Basically the same game.

On 22/09/2019 at 13:56, Rey Cloudy said:

I would definitely be down for this. 

On 22/09/2019 at 11:56, Rey Cloudy said:

On 24/09/2019 at 13:39, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I would definitely be down for this. 

On 24/09/2019 at 14:04, Meacon said:

Same. Someone set up a game and let me know when we’re playing. I also have Mindnight on steam if we want to do that.