Prometheus

TKz

I get that, but I don't feel like it meshes with the rest of the story that they were presenting. It made sense with Alien because it was a totally unknowable and primal entity. The Engineer ultimately did not live up to what they said it would be, either through the ideas of the crew or the structure that the Engineers left. Everything was grandiose except for the Engineer itself. It just felt as if you could have had the Frankenstein monster in there and it would have had the same effect.

Kongo is correct. This is the first time in this film universe where the villain is capable of speaking and he says nothing. He just goes on like any of the other monsters we've seen. It's ridiculous. But this is the state of movie making now, leave the answers for the sequel. It makes for lazy storytelling. Let's keep in mind, the end game of this Prometheus series should be an engineer on a ship, carrying Xenomorph eggs. If we don't get to that point, or at least have it explained, then what was the point of this?

I think the whole point is that we're *not* supposed to know anything about the engineers, and that not knowing is supposed to be troubling.

In fact, I think even the opening scene (if that was supposed to be Earth) was too much.

That was one of the things I liked about it, honestly. The whole mystery about the Engineers felt very much like the mystery of how the Aliens came to be (well, before we got a stupid shoe-on in Prometheus).

I guess it boils down to whether you think the movie is trying to make a statement about the whole creator/creation issue or a belief/reason one. I can see a case being made for both, but I guess I'm inclined towards the latter. In either case, it does seem to me that Damon Lindelof hasn't gotten LOST out of his system.

I guess it boils down to whether you think the movie is trying to make a statement about the whole creator/creation issue or a belief/reason one. I can see a case being made for both, but I guess I'm inclined towards the latter. In either case, it does seem to me that Damon Lindelof hasn't gotten LOST out of his system.

No, that's not it for me. I just wanted it to be more than a generic monster movie villain.

Perhaps an Engineer spin off and franchise is needed?

:shifty:

On that note, what was the point of the Engineer at the start? Is that what started the alien 'DNA' as such and it was the catalyst they wanted to use to wipe out the human population. Genuinely forgot about that opening part of the film, despite thinking it was quite good, until the whole Engineer chatter just started in this thread now.

On that note, what was the point of the Engineer at the start? Is that what started the alien 'DNA' as such and it was the catalyst they wanted to use to wipe out the human population. Genuinely forgot about that opening part of the film, despite thinking it was quite good, until the whole Engineer chatter just started in this thread now.

I'm pretty sure the idea was that the Engineer created us by doing that.

Well I completely didn't get that from watching it. I'll take your word for it though!

Well I completely didn't get that from watching it. I'll take your word for it though!

It's the consensus most people have reached, so take that for what you will. I guess it can be assumed one of two ways. 1) He created humans because the Engineers were a corrupted people who, despite all their technology, still maintained elements of savagery. So by coming to this distant planet he was going to try and create a new civilization for life. The Engineers would want to wipe out this rebel civilization. 2) He was abandoned there by the Engineers as part of an experiment. And then after creating humans and their civilization, the Engineers return regularly to act as gods, but eventually the humans get away from the idea of the Engineers as their gods and start worshiping "false gods" and this leads to the Engineers deciding to wipe out that planet.

Saw it today but I'm not really going to get into a discussion that involves clicking spoiler on twenty posts in a row, so just general thoughts with no plot specifics. I thought the cast was really good and it was technically well-made but the plot was way too dependent on characters being stupid and it left me and my dad with about a million questions, and not quite in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler;

Apparently what David says to the Engineer at the end is "This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life.", which is kind of disappointing

And, yeah, too many characters make stupid decisions that are completely at-odds with their alleged profession and established character traits; be it the rock-loving geologist getting hopelessly lost, or two guys who are initially terrified of a scary room ten minutes later walking back into said scary room for no reason.

• 1 month later...

Saw it today and I liked it a lot. Not perfect but it was an enjoyable watch with a couple of nicely gross moments and a good number of nods towards the future and to the Alien franchise.

Also, the fifteen minutes from Rapace waking up and David taking her necklace were brilliant. Made my wife kinda freak out and feel kinda sick though (she IS due to give birth in 3 weeks...) It was tense and kinda scary in the same way as Ripley and the facehugger in Aliens. The other standout scene was the two scientists and the "lizard". It was great that Scott had the guts, in this modern day, to go oldschool and just build story for a good long time before everything kicks off.

Mega huge facehugger. Just as well they evolved into being smaller. Glad I didn't watch it in 3D though, I have a fear of tentacles.

...and yes, Fassbender was excellent.

For all the problems the film had, I really enjoyed it and oh man, I just remembered how fantastic the opening moments on the ship were. With David all alone.

Thinking about it, if I could change one thing (other than the ending being sequel bait because obviously that sucked) it'd be that they just had Guy Pearce not in ridiculous make up and had him play the Weyland from the TED talk. Could have easily explained that he was dying from something other than old age.