Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

8 minutes ago, Schlitzbrille said:

Winter Is Coming (so I've made a nice fire to keep warm)

image.png

So is Bobby :shifty: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up CK3 base pack in sale and it is waaaaaay more intuitive than CK2 was. The tutorial was solid. I'm still picking stuff up and learning how to actually be good at the game, but I managed to conquer all of the southern half of Ireland before bed last night. I'm horrendously short on cash though so I think my next regent needs to be a bit less war mongery and a lot more fiscally responsible for a while... before being more war mongery.

Do the packs add any more mechanics that are good?

• Like 4

I liked Tours and Tournaments best. The ability for characters to actually travel around the map is really cool. The various events are fun too but I've not played it a whole lot so I could see them getting a bit repetitive. Royal Court was quite good but mostly because it looked nice and I go for that sort of thing because I'm shallow. Not played the newest one.

• Like 1

Had a restart now I think I've got the hang of most of the basics and started the Ireland campaign again without the tutorial wheels on having learned from the errors I made figuring things out in the first place.

Stuck with Petty King Merchad mac Donnchad as my opening ruler and quickly took the southern half of Ireland again, before forging Alliances through marriage with some major powers to assist with taking the rest of Ireland. Unfortunately Merchad died before I could finish the job and his son briefly reigned for 10 months taking one other area before dying himself of illness.

Cue a power struggle for my 6 year old new Petty Queen who was the only child remaining of the line because for some reason my peeps didn't want to get it on. We had our uncle as regent and he did a good job building up money, which was useful to keep him from stealing power further down the line.

Eventually my little Queen grew up and she's facing a lot of faction warfare because she is female. I've had a LOT of claims against me but battered four separate civil wars back whilst also having the Queen become the ruler of all Ireland, which I'm pleased with. I know it's a basic ass thing to have done in the game but given how many times I tried to get into CK2 and failed, it feels like a good achievement. Next up since I have claims - Scotland!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/07/2024 at 22:46, METALMAN said:

I liked Tours and Tournaments best. The ability for characters to actually travel around the map is really cool. The various events are fun too but I've not played it a whole lot so I could see them getting a bit repetitive. Royal Court was quite good but mostly because it looked nice and I go for that sort of thing because I'm shallow. Not played the newest one.

Tours and Tournaments gave me my favourite character death. Painfully shy character who hates social situations and I decided to see what would happen if I sent him on a nice long tour of feasting and meeting people, inevitably his stress levels rose, and continued to rise but I wasn't letting him out of this easily. Drops dead of a heart attack from stress in the middle of dinner after having to bribe a vassal to let him into the city in the first place. Best. Game. Ever.

• Haha 2

Playing a Burgundy game, which I've not really done in a looong time, so the dynamics of the succession crisis etc. are all very new to me. Makes the early game pretty fun (and dare I say, easy).

I *had* been trying to pursue two achievements - The Burgundian Conquest (as Burgundy, own the Low Countries region as core provinces and have France and Austria as your subjects) and Mary of Lotheringa (starting as Burgundy, form Lotheringia and have a female ruler named Marie). The first one needs to be done before you form Lotheringia, so I put that off and managed all of it except for vassalising Austria... which, given that they've now formed Austria-Hungary, I'm not sure is still even possible? But even if it is, they've ended up guaranteed by the Ottomans, so FUCK THAT.

So sod it, I gave up on the first one and formed Lotheringia. Now I just have to try for a female heir.

lotheringia2.png

• Like 1

Picked up my Queen of Ireland save again whilst I run a watcher game of TEW in the background. I've decided the rest of her reign should be relatively peaceful as now we have united Ireland we need to build our foundation. I'm trying to decide whether Wales or Scotland would be our best entry point into taking on England, when my Spymaster... well my Spymaster just got me a hook on someone...

image.png

Be a shame if that secret was not exposed, right?

• Haha 1