These films are underrated!

Some films don't get the love they deserve. Some other films get more criticism than they deserve. Here are some of them.

Kingdom of Heaven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDzPz0WJP2A

Ridley Scott made a very good Crusades movie which was deemed too long for theatrical release so it was pretty much butchered with huge swathes of plot (such as the leper son) either cut out totally or at least reduced massively. I watched it and enjoyed it but it was definitely flawed and didn't feel complete. Add in Orlando Bloom as a so-so lead and it received mixed reviews.

However you owe it to yourself to hunt down the Director's Cut where it really shines. The story really improves, the subtleties play nicely against the wider, sweeping tale and it's very nicely shot. Even Orlando grows on you. I really rate it as a film actually and deserves to be up there with Gladiator.

Yeah, I really liked Kingdom of Heaven. Went into it looking for a swordfight movie, came out with that and more. Orlando Bloom really is a shit lead, though. It reminds me a lot of fantasy and epic sci-fi in that it had enough cool, near-mythic shit (leper king especially) to keep you satisfied even though the other bits may have been lacking.

The Messenger: Joan of Arc

Yeah it's not magnificent in any way but it gets a massive panning. Surely a Luc Besson film starring Faye Dunaway, John Malkovich and Dustin Hoffman can't be all that bad, even with Milla Jovovich as the lead?! Nah it's not.

Worth a watch, especially now we can get hold of films easily and cheaply.

Carry On films

I'm a huge fan of the low budget, farcial double-entendre heavy Carry On series. In fact I've gone so far as to own the entire collection in a spanky DVD boxset. Yeah there are some rubbish films in the collection (Carry On Emmanuelle for a start) and some very average films too but most have at least some funny parts and a good chunk of them are good or better (even overlooked gems like Carry On Abroad).

Of course sometimes they rely on Kenneth Williams hamming it up or a Sid James laugh and often they do play pretty much the same roles from film to film but the actual acting ability of the cast was really really good which carried the hammy scripts and the cheap sets.

Pure rainy Sunday afternoon viewing pleasure. Ain't that right Babs?

ss3407820_-_photograph_of_barbara_windsor_as_babs_from_carry_on_camping_available_in_4_sizes_framed_or_unframed_buy_now_at_starstills__55766.jpg

NYAHARHARHAR

I always feel like a thread like this begins and ends with DIRTY WORK because it encapsulates everything great about Norm MacDonald's comedy into a feature length movie. The third act is meh (although it has the best throwaway line for an ending ever), but really, Norm is awesome here.

One Hour Photo

Robin Williams is always at his best when he plays creepy.

I rented One Hour Photo on a total whim years ago (I think the mrs and rented it from her local corner shop when she lived with her parents - that place had less than a hundred films to choose from in total and we probably went through all their ok stuff) and it turned out to be surprisingly good. Critically acclaimed in fact (yet pretty much no mainstream success it seems).

You don't hear much about it and it was never big news then but watch the trailer and if it looks intriguing to you it's well worth hunting down.

• Like 1

What a joyous feast that would have been. Flubber! Millennium Man! Patch Adams! Wondrous.

I'd have even fitted One Hour Photo into there somewhere.

I bet your Top 300 Robin Williams Movies and my Bottom 300 Robin Williams Movies would have been very similar.

Their is no "bottom" Robin Williams movie. They're all wonderful. Though Jack is the best.

With the exception of One Hour Photo, which I have yet to see, everything listed thus far is tied for Worst Robin Williams Movie Ever.

• Like 1