EWB's Top Actor

I totally realize the criteria could be whatever the voter chooses, and I have no gripes with that. Moreover, I even like Zooey Deschanel and Olivia Wilde (whose inclusion seems to be in a simliar spirit), depending on what they're in.

But.

Meryl Streep. Julianne Moore. Sigourney Weaver. Maggie Smith. Helen Mirren. Glenn Close. Angela Bassett. And a hundred other names.

You guys.

That's all I'm saying.

Angela Bassett.

I cannot even imagine Angela Bassett showing up on an EWB list. She's appeared in basically nothing that most EWBers would watch except for, like, Green Lantern. Shit, I can't see a thing on her filmography that I've actually seen.

EDIT: Wait, no. She had a cameo in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, which I ended up seeing because it was the only thing my friends could agree on one time. So yeah.

Angela Bassett.

I cannot even imagine Angela Bassett showing up on an EWB list. She's appeared in basically nothing that most EWBers would watch except for, like, Green Lantern. Shit, I can't see a thing on her filmography that I've actually seen.

EDIT: Wait, no. She had a cameo in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, which I ended up seeing because it was the only thing my friends could agree on one time. So yeah.

Fun fact: That's the only film I've ever just up and walked out of. So bad.

And honestly, I don't think any of the actresses you listed would actively make me want to see a film, Josh. Like, Sigourney Weaver made my list for the Alien franchise. Not that they're not great actresses, but there's also the point of not every great actress will necessarily have done films that everyone would want to see.

Oh, I'm not saying I expect everyone here to have seen How Stella Got Her Groove Back (hell, I haven't) or even The Score (an underrated film.) I'm just saying there's a shit-ton of great actresses out there we have likely ignored.

Again, it's not a surprising statement, but something worth noting.

Oh, I'm not saying I expect everyone here to have seen How Stella Got Her Groove Back (hell, I haven't) or even The Score (an underrated film.) I'm just saying there's a shit-ton of great actresses out there we have likely ignored.

Again, it's not a surprising statement, but something worth noting.

I'd say that's probably the biggest part of it. EWB is mostly a male demographic, therefore most of us aren't too interested in seeing... The Queen, for example.

Yeah, my actress' list could change from week to week, whereas my actors list won't drastically change all that too often. Like, until a few weeks ago, Rooney Mara wouldn't have anywhere near topped my list - but I thought she was so good in Fincher's latest film that I would definitely go see anything else she was in. If it was a 'best of' list Streep, Mirren and Judi Dench would be floating about, but they don't want to make go to the cinema.

See, I'd say the same for Mara. I thought she was goddamn great in the Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I can't say just seeing her in a cast list for an upcoming film would get me to go.

That leads me to a more broad point: I don't know if there's even 5 total actors and actresses (living or dead) whose mere presence in a cast will make it a must see film for me. As much as acting is a passion of mine, it takes a (somewhat variable) total confluence of elements to draw me into viewing. That has a lot to do with my tightness with money, but circumstances like that really show you what you value in entertainment.

Back to the main topic: that's why my list is essentially a "These are the people to observe if you want to do it right" list. A list of 15 people who will guarantee I'll see a film simply doesn't exist.

No matter how much I'd love to be mutually naked with Olivia Wilde.

Maybe it's down to the fact I have a cinema card and can go to the cinema as often as I like, but I could definitely name 20 actors who, if I saw their name on the cast list, would at the very least make me want to at least check the film out. I can safely say I would give any film a chance if Christian Bale were in it. Similar with directors, I could name you a handful whose movie I would check out regardless.

Maybe it's down to the fact I have a cinema card and can go to the cinema as often as I like, but I could definitely name 20 actors who, if I saw their name on the cast list, would at the very least make me want to at least check the film out. I can safely say I would give any film a chance if Christian Bale were in it. Similar with directors, I could name you a handful whose movie I would check out regardless.

Yeah, again, my financial situation forces me to be extremely picky, but in a perfect world I'd take in as much I could from the people I listed. I'd agree with the director comment too.