Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Your Mom

I picked it up today - totally getting deep into it.

I'm not any further than people would be if they got the 45 minute demo... but damn this game feels good. You can kind of tell that it was supposed to be a MMO from the way that some of the things are laid out, but that's not a knock against it in the least. That with the promise of about 200-300 hours of gameplay for a completionist like me, and I'm one happy camper. It was Joystiq's review that made me run out on my lunch break to pick it up. He basically stated he tried to just play the main story so that he could review right up to the end of the game, but just couldn't do it due to how much content there is.

well I haven't done much due to other games but ....

the combat is fun and the playstyle is kind of like Fable but it tries to be like Skyrim/Oblivion and even a mix of WoW.

however the questing/story just doesn't have the appeal of something Bioware like. it's somewhat generic and I'm used to my character having a voice. even without it, it seems like you aren't giving replies or making choices, just that the npc's are giving you information and then you do stuff. it just doesn't feel as interactive as it could.

with that said it does seem like it could be fun to play through. the classes/designs are pretty cool. the graphics could be better.

I love the look and style of it. I like that the character progression isn't too complex, and the combat system is really well done I reckon. I have found I tend to skip through dialogue a bit, although I think it's partly since at the beginning everyone's basically saying the same thing to set up the world.

I noticed.... don't do any crimes with people nearby. I picked up some item for a quest t hat was stealing in the warsworn place and they all came after me and they won't forgive or forget. had to reload a save.

you can easily get lost doing random side quests and the combat has me interested. it's still the dialogue and options that bores me, it just doesn't feel interactive enough.

went to Webwood briefly and that's a lot of big ass spiders. all of a sudden they just jump out.

the pre order weapons I have look pretty cool.

Edited by mystikz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not normally one for picking up strategy guides unless they're on clearance in my shop, but we finally got the Amalur one in today (not stocking guides at point of release? Retarded) and it's wonderful. Hardcover, about a million pages, and some really nice artwork. I might actually pay attention to the crafting disciplines now.