• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, =BK= said:

I got armbar'd.

Redemption!

Ebu8lpQWoAAtvwO?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

19 hours ago, apsham said:

I've never been a fan of Jim Sterling owing to his earlier shit-heel days - but hearing him talk here, and owning up to a lot of stuff is pretty interesting, so good on him. I also had no clue that he worked for CHIKARA as well.

Breaks my heart that MCA got outed in this video, I honestly thought he was class.

Finally finished The Witcher 3 and both expansion packs with something in the region of 130 hours. Wish I'd played it sooner, fantastic game. Is Cyberpunk 2077 expected to be more of the same with a futuristic vibe?

• Like 2

I bought Witcher 3 on my switch but it does not translate well to playing it on a handheld. Using the L/R buttons for combat and such while on handheld just makes my hands hurt. I'm going to have to hook it up to the television in order to put any time into it.

I'm starting to look at games with depth because I want something that's going to take me many hours to beat. I miss the days of playing Final Fantasy 8 for the first time and it taking me over 80 hours of play time to beat. I'm currently playing that latest Assassin's Creed and I've been playing for nearly 30 hours and feel like I haven't even touched the amount of stuff the game offers yet.

Much like I mentioned in the PC thread. Are there any recommendations for games like this? I don't want 15 hours of game play. Those are fun sometimes. I want something with 100's of hours of play.

7 minutes ago, Forked Out said:

I bought Witcher 3 on my switch but it does not translate well to playing it on a handheld. Using the L/R buttons for combat and such while on handheld just makes my hands hurt. I'm going to have to hook it up to the television in order to put any time into it.

I'm starting to look at games with depth because I want something that's going to take me many hours to beat. I miss the days of playing Final Fantasy 8 for the first time and it taking me over 80 hours of play time to beat. I'm currently playing that latest Assassin's Creed and I've been playing for nearly 30 hours and feel like I haven't even touched the amount of stuff the game offers yet.

Much like I mentioned in the PC thread. Are there any recommendations for games like this? I don't want 15 hours of game play. Those are fun sometimes. I want something with 100's of hours of play.

The Lord of the Rings Mordor games are very much in the Assassin's Creed vein of "here's a lot of things to do and find, and lots of side missions" but more older style than the way the newer Assassin's Creed games are.

The Far Cry series, and especially Far Cry 5 has a lot of the same kind of "lots of places to unlock and different activities to do in them" kind of things - but once again, the new Assassin's Creed games are in a whole league of their own.

I can't think of a ton of things that make themselves like that this day and age. There are a ton of games that you can get into and sink hundreds upon hundreds of hours into (me and Animal Crossing, me and Surviving Mars, me and Farm Together for instance) but then again, those are situations where you really decide yourself if you want to pop in that amount of hours and kind of make your own goals. And games like Surviving Mars are more strategy than broad, adventerous game styled.

26 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Finally finished The Witcher 3 and both expansion packs with something in the region of 130 hours. Wish I'd played it sooner, fantastic game. Is Cyberpunk 2077 expected to be more of the same with a futuristic vibe?

It's going to be first person for one, but I don't doubt that it's going to have HOURS of well written content with actual choices to make, etc. It's going to play entirely different but it's going to bring to life that world the same way the Witcher did its own.

3 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I enjoyed The Witcher 3 on Switch. I didn't have any problems with the controls at all.

Did you play it on the handheld though? I assume that once I put it together and play it using the actual computer, I won't have an issue. I just can't used to the handheld portion of it. It might also be the time between plays. I often forget the controls when I don't play something every day and I sometimes go weeks without playing The Witcher.

24 minutes ago, apsham said:

The Lord of the Rings Mordor games are very much in the Assassin's Creed vein of "here's a lot of things to do and find, and lots of side missions" but more older style than the way the newer Assassin's Creed games are.

My partner used to play the Lord of the Rings Mordor games. The voice acting was fine, but they would reuse the same lines over and over again and it was so incredibly comical from an outsider's perspective watching him play that game. All of the sudden, you would hear 'YOU THOUGHT YOU GOT ME, BUT I AM NOT DEAD' in this high pitched orcish voice. I am sure the game is fine, but the voice acting was so over the top it killed the game for me. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forked Out said:

Did you play it on the handheld though? I assume that once I put it together and play it using the actual computer, I won't have an issue. I just can't used to the handheld portion of it. It might also be the time between plays. I often forget the controls when I don't play something every day and I sometimes go weeks without playing The Witcher.

I feel like a lot of modern games need a "controls demo" from the main menu just for when you've not played games for a while. I tried to go back into Arkham City having never played it in years and basically forgot all the moves you need to beat specific generic baddies, ended up starting again from the beginning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, apsham said:

Looks like it's just cosmetics, so less of a microtransaction (which I think of as more pay-to-win or pay for features in a free game) as a term and more DLC the way you might have originally thought of it, I guess?

I mean there was a time when you got in-game outfits through in-game achievements, so I don't really buy that it being "just cosmetics" is even that good a mitigating factor.

I've spent the last two weeks re-playing Mafia 3, and I don't understand why people are so negative about it. The documentary format is really clever (although it is odd how some of the scenes willingly spoil the big set pieces before they happen), the story is good with a badass protagonist with a perfectly cromulent backstory for his revenge mission, and the combat can be frustrating but it's not broken.

I can see why people might think the missions were repetitive, but that doesn't bother me as I'm perfectly happy with grinding.

• Like 2

Eh, 100 levels of Crash and if I can't play as him in shorts I think I'll be fine. There isn't even a clear idea of what the microtransactions WOULD be - just a note in the Microsoft game store about it having them. Everyone was massively up in arms about Crash Team Racing having microtransactions, but they were inconsequential and only there if you only really wanted one of the seasonal goals - everything was easily earnable through playing the game itself and it's my favorite kart racer ever.

Agreed on microtransactions in general but not really all the fussed in this instance... if they're even there and it wasn't just a store listing error.

18 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I've spent the last two weeks re-playing Mafia 3, and I don't understand why people are so negative about it. The documentary format is really clever (although it is odd how some of the scenes willingly spoil the big set pieces before they happen), the story is good with a badass protagonist with a perfectly cromulent backstory for his revenge mission, and the combat can be frustrating but it's not broken.

I can see why people might think the missions were repetitive, but that doesn't bother me as I'm perfectly happy with grinding.

Loved Mafia 3.

When the remastered trilogy eventually gets a reduction in price (1 and 2 anyway, I still have 3) I'm going to play through the first two games. I've never played the original, but did play 2.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I think the story and setting are easily the best of any Mafia game, Lincoln is a great protag and the late 60s Nixon-era timeframe is a great setting too.

I think the biggest issue people had with the game was the mentioned repetitive nature and that it doesn't really mix things up.

Also I guess people had higher expectations of Mafia 3 after waiting so long after Mafia 2, although I personally never really dug Mafia 2 as much as others did. That game was quite boring itself, and I think Mafia 3 basically improved upon it in every way.

• Like 2