General Gaming Thread

TKz

Wasn't going to buy a football game this year, but saw PES 2021 available for £15 on PC so went for it.

I've already installed the PESUniverse option file, as I would any other year on the PS4 version, but I've also been looking into the mods and some of the stuff you can get is insane. Currently in the middle of getting every PL/La Liga stadium, which have been perfectly recreated over the last few years, and I also have a ball pack of around 300 to choose from.

Absolutely massive news. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM, Dishonored, Quake, Starfield and more all under one roof. 

Suspect the proper sequel games will be exclusive to Xbox and PC. It's sort of hinted that way in the article when they say Starfield will be released for them. 

1 minute ago, Baddar said:

Will this mean that games like Skyrim and Fallout become Xbox (timed?)exclusives in future?

More details:

• MS is paying $7.5 billion in cash for ZeniMax Media
  • Game Pass has reached 15m subscribers and is growing
  • Microsoft has now 23 studios
  • Bethesda's future games will be on GP on launch day

Also watch out for Master Chief meets Doom Guy.

This is the kind of move Microsoft very much needed, and to be honest if this can lead to Bethesda putting out games that are less... broken on launch that would also be a big plus.

4 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Will this mean that games like Skyrim and Fallout become Xbox (timed?)exclusives in future?

You would think that they will be on Xbox and PC, but not anything else. Anything that's already been announced for other systems shouldn't change, just as games like The Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3 came out on PS4 after Microsoft purchased their studios.

Microsoft doesn't publish games that are completely exclusive to Xbox consoles now. Game Pass is the thing that's being pushed hardest now, and getting PC players on board is a big part of that strategy. Unless you're strictly a Sony or Nintendo-only player, you should still be able to access future Zenimax games.

It's somewhat bad business in the digital media age to lock up games on one console, which is why I don't envision everything ZeniMax just winding up exclusively on Xbox. As mentioned, a lot of their focus is on Game Pass which opens up their games to more of an audience. So this probably just means you won't get games on Nintendo or Sony consoles with limited exceptions.

This is such a big acquisition in shear dollar amount, I'd wonder exactly how ZeniMax will reorg under the Microsoft umbrella. You don't pay this much for something if you want them to remain a largely independent subsidiary.

9 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Just daydreaming a little here, business aspects aside, what all franchises does Microsoft owned that could contribute characters to their own Sumer Smash Brothers like game? 

You could already put a reasonable roster together with Rare characters alone. Other than that, you've only really got Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, Doom Guy and BJ Blazkowicz that are especially well known. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale was thin enough on the ground with a larger range of recognisable characters, so I don't think Microsoft is in a great position to put something like that together without whipping round a few third parties.

3 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

You could already put a reasonable roster together with Rare characters alone. Other than that, you've only really got Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, Doom Guy and BJ Blazkowicz that are especially well known. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale was thin enough on the ground with a larger range of recognisable characters, so I don't think Microsoft is in a great position to put something like that together without whipping round a few third parties.

Combine those listed with Rare and Bethesda though? From Rare you got Joanna Dark, Conker, Banjo/Kazooie, Battletoads, people from Jet Force Gemini and Killer Instinct. Bethesda has Elder Scrolls and Fallout to draw from for sure. Plus some others that I am forgetting/don't know.

35 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Combine those listed with Rare and Bethesda though? From Rare you got Joanna Dark, Conker, Banjo/Kazooie, Battletoads, people from Jet Force Gemini and Killer Instinct. Bethesda has Elder Scrolls and Fallout to draw from for sure. Plus some others that I am forgetting/don't know.

I just don't think there are enough characters with sufficient mainstream appeal. In any case, I can't see it happening, although it's fun to think about.

7 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I just don't think there are enough characters with sufficient mainstream appeal. In any case, I can't see it happening, although it's fun to think about.

Yeah it's fun to imagine what it could be like!

One advantage they'd have is that when the Playstation one came out, nobody was really doing platform fighters other than Nintendo. Now there's a billion of them, probably wouldn't be too hard to snap up one of those dev teams (frankly there already is one that I remember playing at ID@XBOX open houses, but I remember not really loving it).

But yeah, my preference would just be more big-name characters heading into Smash DLC. Cuphead would be in my first-choice list for an XBOX version and man do I want him to be more than just a Mii fighter skin in Smash.