General Gaming Thread

TKz

10 hours ago, =BK= said:

Any Super Hero games out besides Avengers or Spider-Man or is DCUO gonna be my fix?

If you have a Nintendo Switch, the Marvel Ultimate Alliance game is by all accounts a good title.

There's also the Arkhamverse games that are probably quite cheap.

Or if you wanna go a completely different direction and play old games, Freedom Force is a fun little Superhero RPG inspired by golden age comics. It's a bit old and jankety, but still very enjoyable!

And there's also always the Lego Batman/Marvel games?

34 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Or if you wanna go a completely different direction and play old games, Freedom Force is a fun little Superhero RPG inspired by golden age comics. It's a bit old and jankety, but still very enjoyable!

I remember Freedom Force and its sequel. They were a lot of fun. Irrational Games made them a few years before developing Bioshock.

Injustice 1 + 2, LEGO Marvel, LEGO DC, Deadpool, Arkham: Batman 1/2/3, Marvel vs. Capcom (Infinite, 3), the Telltale games (Batman, Guardians)

As far as games that aren't based on Marvel or DC, but still "superhero" type games - Saints Row IV, Infamous, Megaton Rainfall, The Wonderful 101.

Yeah, but it's on Amazon and places like eBay. Granted the PS4 copies are much more expensive ($74 brand new on Amazon), but If I had an Xbox One I could order it on Amazon for like $23 new right now.

Used copies are cheaper, and on both sites I mentioned. I generally like to buy new games online - don't mind doing used, but I rather be there in person if I'm doing that.

• Thanks 1

People who pre-order Crash Bandicoot 4 get access to a demo next week. I know this isn't the first time this has happened, but it seems completely backward to me. Demos always used to be released to convince people to buy the full game, but now it's the other way round.

Played a bunch of games over the weekend.

Oxenfree: Enjoyed this, I liked the art style and the voice acting, enjoyed the gameplay for the most part though it did get a little bit irritating when it come to retreading and backtracking through certain areas and I wanted to move faster, but to be fair, at the same time, the game was still providing interesting dialogue and narrative throughout that so it wasn't too bad. 

Dear Esther: I found this absolutely boring as fuck. Just interminable. I think I got absolutely nothing out of it. Pretty drab visually too, all muddy sepia and grey, bar one sequence in it which was admittedly visually beautiful. I just wandered aimlessly through it not really knowing or, by the end, caring what it was really about or what the guy was waffling on about. Moving painfully slow didn’t help. I actually really liked Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture which is apparently a spiritual successor to this but this was just dreary. I generally don't mind these types of games, games like EGTTR, or Gone Home a few years ago, games that are kind of disparagingly calling "walking simulators" but I got infinitely more out of those two, particularly Gone Home, than this. This just felt lifeless to the point of tedium and I didn't really feel like I was getting to piece together a story through exploration. 

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: Eh, this was fine. It has some decent enough problem solving and puzzles but I just wasn’t really in to the story at all, and some of it got a bit repetitive. Particularly the whole repeated mechanic of putting together the chronology of a murder. Think I was already put off it slightly by the pompous message at the start that was like “this game does not hold your hand” too. It all just all felt a bit lifeless and stilted and bland. I didn't really care what happened with or to any of the characters, or the mystery of the game.

What Remains of Edith Finch: Utterly adored this. Every part of it. What a beautiful game. Might play it again this week. Visually gorgeous, I loved the art style and how the subtitles were integrated in to the game to gently guide you, the different styles of gameplay for different stories. Felt really inventive and some of the stories were just great visually and felt like something new in terms of gameplay. One particular story with one of the characters that has you doing two things at once I thought was extraordinary. I love the voice acting, the music, everything really. It’s funny, sad, touching, unsettling, incredibly atmospheric. It never becomes maudlin or saccharine and it would have been so easy to. It's almost Wes Anderson-esque in it's kind of almost surreal quirkiness while staying grounded and never robbing the stories of their emotional weight. It reminds me of how I felt about Gone Home years ago but x10. Fuming I hadn’t played it sooner tbh. You move slowly here too but it felt much better because there’s so much more going visually and in the storytelling that you're rewarded for taking your time and it hits you more because you can't rush through. It somehow gave me waves of nostalgia playing it. Wonderful

• Like 1

Flight Simulator is a huge game and took a million years to download but just doing a test flight I can see why.  The Bing integration just adds a ridiculous amount of detail.  In the old Flight Simulator, Connecticut was pointless to fly over as everything except Hartford was just generic woods and the occasional lake.  The game was mostly about learning to fly a plane accurately, if you weren't in a major city there was nothing to look at.  Now the entire map is detailed.

I live right down the hill from all the schools in town.  I start to see the schools come into view "OK, there's the baseball field, there's the football stadium, there's the high school....so if I just follow the road down a bit.....holy crap there's my condo!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got the Platinum trophy for Ghost of Tsushima. I suddenly have 6 weeks off work due to having transient osteoporosis of the hip, so I'm knocking out some games. This was an experience. I haven't teared up/cried at the end of a game since I played Life Is Strange/Before the Storm. The story hits, the combat is great, and it doesn't make you do real stupid shit to get the 100% (for example: only collect 20 artifacts/records instead of the full 40 or whatever). I don't care about the multiplayer expansion coming out soon - I know the pandemic limits everything, but I hope in the future we can revisit these characters and play as the main four allies (and an "enemy" or two) that Jin has.

I think now I'm going to start up the first (Crystal Dynamics) Tomb Raider game, since I grabbed it for $2.99 on the PS Store a few days ago (plus the sequel was free on PS Plus in July or something, so I have that too).

Beat the Avengers main storyline, so I just have the various side missions on the campaign war table and the Avengers Iniative part of the game. Now it's a game that I can pick up and play for an hour or two and then switch to something else, since the missions aren't actual "stories" like the main campaign. Not complaining, it's fun, but I wish the main part was a lot longer. I'm positive I'll revisit it again, but I'm dying to re-play Tomb Raider for some reason.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2020 at 00:50, tristy said:

I've finished the Avengers main story (not cleared the campaign War Table, though). It's a good story, I like it. Towards the end it feels really rushed, though. It seems like there was a lot cut from the story for whatever reason, when you could have added maybe an extra hour or so and it'd be ever better.

No major bugs, like what some are reporting over on the subreddit, but I've had two that made me restart from the last checkpoint (oddly enough, during Black Widow's story missions). I haven't had framerate drops that slow gameplay, but I've had drops in picture quality due to chaotic nature of the combat in some missions where the game just throws dozens of enemies at you.

The difficulty needs to be tweaked, at least in my opinion. Even on easy I'm dying a shit load, but maybe it's because all of my characters besides Ms. Marvel are below level 10 (but their power levels are around 20ish). 

If anyone does get the game, don't immediately jump into the Avengers Initiative, unless you don't mind spoilers IMMEDIATELY, as soon as it loads up the first cut scene.

But anyway, BIG spoilery thoughts on the main story/final battle: 

Reveal hidden contents

I completed it last night, and I also enjoyed it and thought it was rushed towards the end. I really enjoy the gameplay though so the huge amount of post-story content is going to be fun.

Spoiler

More on the rushing, the time between Thor and Cap joining the team and the final battle is literally one mission, so I struggled with the Cap-centric parts as I hadn't played with him much, particularly anything involving wall running.

I did enjoy the final battle though, I would have liked the action to be more spread out among the characters but the Kree sentry was a genuine surprise and the second credit scene I assume will set up more cosmic entities in the inevitable sequel.

another Ubisoft Forward starts in a minute.

EDIT: Also Yves posted a four minute video about the allegations and people who've been forced out of the company but it couldn't be included in this due to "time constraints." Uh-huh.

It's back!

I dunno if it's just because it was the 10 year anniversary or what but I've seen people talking about it recently, like I think there was an article about it on Kotaku and the original creator was tweeting about it as well. Dunno if it's purely that that's led to this or if they've had it in the works a while but neat to see it come back from it's licensing grave. Game wasn't anything amazing or anything from what I recall, graphics were nice but the gameplay was your bog standard brawler with the RCR esque RPG-lite elements. That soundtrack though...

This makes me think I should watch the movie again, I haven't seen it since it came out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Ellis said:

It's back!

I dunno if it's just because it was the 10 year anniversary or what but I've seen people talking about it recently, like I think there was an article about it on Kotaku and the original creator was tweeting about it as well. Dunno if it's purely that that's led to this or if they've had it in the works a while but neat to see it come back from it's licensing grave. Game wasn't anything amazing or anything from what I recall, graphics were nice but the gameplay was your bog standard brawler with the RCR esque RPG-lite elements. That soundtrack though...

This makes me think I should watch the movie again, I haven't seen it since it came out.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Meanwhile VTMB2 has been pushed back to 🤷‍♂️2021 because of course it has.