General Gaming Thread

TKz

They didn't even say "Skate 4." They were just like "Skate is back!!! Whoa!"

The Star Wars game is probably fine but boy, that was a bad presentation. Even that early Xbox one was better.

Yeah, the Skate thing was weird. I don't even think the guy they cut to mentioned Skate by name, you just saw all the Skate stuff in the background and he was like "Oh man, we're so glad to be back" and it was when they cut back to Greg that he was like "OMG SKATE".

Why is it that every time I see a new video game talked about, the two biggest components people think are good are "First Person" and "Multiplayer." As someone who hates both, I really hope that single player campaigns for games that I love aren't reduced to this each time. I just read an article about someone saying GTA 6 should be completely first person. Please, no.

It was pretty much the reason I bought it on the next-gen consoles, since it was one of the additions that came from that. I thought it was pretty neat - and it especially made sense to experience it in a game that already had so much detail in it, way more than any other game at the time to be able to properly see the interiors of cars and such. Was pretty cool as a use in some of the online maps as well.

But saying that it should be the only mode in any future game of its sort is moronic.

I liked GTA V in first-person for the on-foot gameplay. I played the driving sections in third-person because it was much easier to control that way.

I think I was very much in the minority in playing Red Dead Redemption 2 in first-person mode. I thought it made it more immersive.

I do agree that first-person gameplay shouldn't be used in every game, though, and I doubt it will.

I can't play games in first person. I'll play a game like Call Of Duty long enough to get through the campaign. Something like Cyberpunk looks like it might be good but the fact that it's First Person is probably going to be what keeps me from ever experiencing it. I like to be able to see my character. First Person always makes it harder for me to navigate the world.

48 minutes ago, Forked Out said:

I can't play games in first person. I'll play a game like Call Of Duty long enough to get through the campaign. Something like Cyberpunk looks like it might be good but the fact that it's First Person is probably going to be what keeps me from ever experiencing it. I like to be able to see my character. First Person always makes it harder for me to navigate the world.

I find first person makes me struggle to feel like I am the person and not just a faceless ghoul when it is single player. BioShock is perhaps the one major exception to that rule, but that's largely because it's a specific choice given the story being told.

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

I find first person makes me struggle to feel like I am the person and not just a faceless ghoul when it is single player. BioShock is perhaps the one major exception to that rule, but that's largely because it's a specific choice given the story being told.

Yeah, I would agree with you as well. I'm not saying people can't have their first person views if they want but I wouldn't mind games including both type of play. Games should be as accommodating as they can be to appeal to as large an audience as possible.

There's times when 1st person works really well for games and times it doesn't. IMO GTA falls into the latter but the two games I'm looking forward to (Cyberpunk and VTMB2) will probably work out fine for them. Swapping from first to third would be a compromise I'd like to see in a lot more games, but not a lot of them do it well IMO. Bethesda RPGs let you go third person but they're meant to be for first person and when you try it in third, it shows.

It's kind of like stylistic black and white for a movie. It shouldn't be done for every movie, and not for everyone, but when it's done well for a movie that works with it, it can really enhance a movie. The Spirit would be a movie that's average and only memorable for Samuel L Jackson's excellent performance if it were in color, but with the stylistic color filter had some fucking awesome visuals that make it a fun movie.

1 hour ago, OctoberRaven said:

There's times when 1st person works really well for games and times it doesn't. IMO GTA falls into the latter but the two games I'm looking forward to (Cyberpunk and VTMB2) will probably work out fine for them. Swapping from first to third would be a compromise I'd like to see in a lot more games, but not a lot of them do it well IMO. Bethesda RPGs let you go third person but they're meant to be for first person and when you try it in third, it shows.

It's kind of like stylistic black and white for a movie. It shouldn't be done for every movie, and not for everyone, but when it's done well for a movie that works with it, it can really enhance a movie. The Spirit would be a movie that's average and only memorable for Samuel L Jackson's excellent performance if it were in color, but with the stylistic color filter had some fucking awesome visuals that make it a fun movie.

I think a lot of it is laziness or not wanting to put in the money to create these characters that are really well done if only 50% of your audience is ever going to see it. To me though, that's fairly short sighted because at the end of the day if you only give one view, you might lose 50% of the potential audience you could have had. For me personally, the story would have to be incredibly good for me to go out and pay money for a game that only has First Person view. The only way I'd know how incredible the story was is by word of mouth and since other than here I generally don't look into games that much, I probably would never buy it.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

The official Crash Bandicoot 4 announcement will be tomorrow, along with ALF and a musical performance. No, I don't know either.

It's got Alf! I'm in!

Well, I can vouch for the Deus Ex games as far as first person games go (except The Fall, don't get The Fall, it's an unfinished mobile game). VTMB1 was mostly first person and is a flawed masterpiece. I've pre-ordered Cyberpunk and VTMB2, so I'll let you know how they are (though VTMB2 might have third person options if the pre-order options are any indication? then again VTMB1 had multiple outfits for characters and while they weren't just cosmetic but depending on your build you'd only see it on rare occasions).

Some games wouldn’t work in first person in much the same way that some wouldn’t work the other way around. Design choices are made for a reason, not every game can have it every way and instead of doing something 100% you could end up with a half realized version of each.

I wouldn’t call this lazy by any means. Games aren’t created haphazardly (most) of the time. There are people with visions who study this stuff. Resident Evil was known for keeping the camera close to the character because it enhanced the feeling of being in a tight corridor, of knowing that something could be right behind you - and if you could adjust that, you would lose part of what makes it so.

When they jumped to first person for RE7 - they adapted their design and it worked for that game. I can’t see that game being half as good in third person, and having to sacrifice bits of it to make it feasibly work like so would’ve been an unnecessary time and money drain.

I know for Cyberpunk, they ran tests and gauged how people felt. The vision with The Witcher was that you are Geralt, who existed as his own entity. You are playing as Geralt, you are not him. When you are playing Cyberpunk - you are your own entity and it just felt right that you experience that from first person.

• Like 4

Honestly with Cyberpunk, while I'd like it to be in third person, or at least when out of combat? The perspective is less important to me than a lot of others things, including but not limited to body modifications. Including those modifications. Especially those.