Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

Vampyr is really fun. Might be hitting close to home for some given the setting and the last couple of years, though.

On 23/12/2021 at 12:14, Jolly Old St. Mick said:

Eh, it was the way you wrote the post after you quoted him. 

Looking back at it, yea, I phrased it wrong

Also, I did a search for the name you posted and nothing came up...my friend code is 129227482

Been playing GreedFall lately. It's an RPG with a pretty neat worldbuilding and deals with colonialism in it's storytelling. It's not a mindblowing experience but worth a look.

Madden 22 is on sale for 24 bucks and I think my buddy and I are going to each pick up copies so we can play connected franchise or whatever that's called these days. We've been looking for something to game together for awhile.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

Been playing GreedFall lately. It's an RPG with a pretty neat worldbuilding and deals with colonialism in it's storytelling. It's not a mindblowing experience but worth a look.

I played Greedfall on PS4 and I agree.  Its basically "Low budget Dragon Age".  Was a fun play through, but I never played the DLC for it. 

I apparently also got the bad ending for the main story

28 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Disco Elysium is a point and click kinda thing like the first Fallout right? I've wanted to play it and saw it's included in the sale but if it's anything more involved than clicking on the guy I want to kill I think I might get it on console instead

It is a point-and-click game, but not like Fallout. You're a detective and you don't kill people at all. Instead, you have stats that all relate to individual aspects of your personality and thought processes, and these are used to determine what actions you can take and what dialogue options you can choose. It's all based on a dice-roll system, so your stats affect the chances of a decision having the desired outcome.

It's possible to "lose" the game by losing health or morale, but generally, losing skill checks is as much a part of the story as succeeding at them is. Two different playthroughs can be very different, depending on which skills you choose to focus on.

And if you just want to be all-powerful, there are bound to be third-party trainers that let you max out everything.

As an aside, if you're looking for an isometric action game more akin to the old Fallouts, Wasteland 3 is well worth looking at. Given that it was made by a Microsoft-owned studio, it's on Game Pass for both PC and Xbox, and it's got all the fun and humour that you'd expect from the Interplay Fallout efforts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Your Mom

Disco Elysium is more like a novel than anything. Very narrative and very descriptive in the world it has built. And however you build your character has a very distinct effect on how you experience the world around you and how you (can) approach the case you've been assigned to tackle.

For example if you are highly specced in Visual Calculus, you basically become a walking CSI montage where you can innately figure out trajectories and how things went down based on the evidence you see. If you are specced in Half Light, you basically have a super light trigger and want to approach things from a 'punch first' perspective. 'Authority' makes you want to be a Judge Dredd who asserts himself by flexing the book as hard as possible. Whereas 'Conceptualisation' basically makes you experience the world as an abstract painting.

It's a game that's very hard not to complete in some form or fashion, and doesn't have a wrong way to play. And in many ways, it's more so an evolving narrative piece and exploration in fictive writing. And the writing is just second to none.

One thing that immediately struck me early on is that I made a few steps and had a few points in 'electro chemisty', and I looked at a half smoked cigarette butt, decided (myself) I didn't want to, but the trait basically went through insane lengths to explain to me how much I wanted to drag the last bits of tobacco from it, and in turn gave me a morale penalty/boost whether or not I relented to the inner demon.

And that's basically how the game is, it's not about a balanced build (although that's definitely another possibility), it's more so about exploring where you can go with the character as every trait affects your personality and outlook on the world in various ways. Playing a smart cop plays out significantly different than being a talky cop. But there's no optimal or suboptimal way, all approaches have narrative pitfalls, and all of them are super interesting to explore because the devil's always in the details.

tl;dr - Rather than seeing it as a Fallout/Wasteland type of game, it's better to look at it like a very high concept Monkey Island.

• Like 3

Got a $20 Steam card for Christmas. So far, I've bought THIS IS THE POLICE 2, and a WIZARDRY 6, 7 and 8 bundle. And I still have over $10 left. (I played WIZARDRY 6 and 7 way back when they originally came out.)

• Like 2