Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

6 hours ago, Troy said:

I would also be down to play Among Us, I'm pretty certain phones can x-play with PC right? Bonus points if we use Discord or something to do a voice call because jesus am I bad at typing on my phone. :P 

you can definitely cross-play

• 3 weeks later...

Hi computer people. I've just bought a new laptop for the first time in over a decade, and I while it's largely not for games I do want to grab a couple. Having not bought a PC game quite possibly in this century, what is the ruddy craic given I don't even have a DVD drive? I've looked on Steam and am probably going to grab Two Point Hospital as it's on sale, but I was looking at Planet Coaster and that's £30. A quick google and there's a few places selling Steam keys for it for about a tenner, is that legit or is something dodgy afoot?

Any recommended places to get mousey strategy games, bearing in mind I'm unlikely to buy anything brand new, I've missed two decades of PC gaming.

Definitely going to get a DVD drive though even if just to see if any of my old games work in Windows 10...

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Hi computer people. I've just bought a new laptop for the first time in over a decade, and I while it's largely not for games I do want to grab a couple. Having not bought a PC game quite possibly in this century, what is the ruddy craic given I don't even have a DVD drive? I've looked on Steam and am probably going to grab Two Point Hospital as it's on sale, but I was looking at Planet Coaster and that's £30. A quick google and there's a few places selling Steam keys for it for about a tenner, is that legit or is something dodgy afoot?

Any recommended places to get mousey strategy games, bearing in mind I'm unlikely to buy anything brand new, I've missed two decades of PC gaming.

Definitely going to get a DVD drive though even if just to see if any of my old games work in Windows 10...

Key sites are varying degrees of dodginess, but most notable ones will not take your money and run. It's mostly a case of their source of keys being often illicit in some form.

It can range from them buying batches of keys from secondary parties, second/third world countries, all the way to keys acquired through creditcard fraud.

Steam/GOG are good for general purpose games, Origin/uPlay are for EA and Ubisoft games, and Epic store straddles the line between the two.

Those are of course fully legit stores. Other legit stores are Gamebillet, 2Game, Greenmangaming, DLGamer, Games planet, Fanatical, and the humble store.

Cdkeys.com is a bit grey market, but their keys are at least not sourced through cc fraud. It tends to be my go to, and generally have most keys.

Kinguin/G2A/G2Play/Gamivo are personal hard passes. Basically any store that works via a 'marketplace' are very dubious where you'll have to wonder how those sellers acquired keys.

---

As for clicky games. Depending on how much you want to get addicted, Factorio is a game where you crash land on a planet and have to build a gigantic factory to build a new rocket to gtfo. 

It's freeform, and the alien danger is optional. But the feedback loop of expansion, getting supply lines going is extremely good and addictive. It also never feels like you're grinding at any point (Unless you max out the aliens and you're grinding alien bases just to clear out a path to your next iron vein).

Everything can be automated too, where you end up simply dropping down blueprints and let your droids do the labour.

The game has no added payments, and you can play with mates. And there's a lot of mods to expand and enhance an experience that is out of the box already great.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Thanks 1

On 14/10/2020 at 13:17, Colly said:

Keep an eye on Humble Bundle for cheap games. They release packs of content at discounted prices. I've picked up some good stuff from them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else play Monster Train?  It's become my 3rd most played Steam game behind Xcom 1 and 2 now.  I have finally beaten every clan combo with both champions on level 25 and got gold with every card.  I still have a few achievements to get, but what a fun game.