The 2012 January Transfer Thread

Crybaby Bunting

Norwich have had a bid accepted for Leeds' Jonny Howson.

Who are we gonna start a rumour about though on transfer deadline day now and try and get that name trending on twitter or on the BBC text update :(

Ritchie De Laet has returned to United after his loan at Norwich was terminated. Not sure yet if it's because of injury or we just need him for cover.

He ripped his calf when they played Spurs at home on Sky the other month.

Apparently it's a back injury that is worse than first thought that has triggered the loan termination, Norwich wanted to free up a squad place for another potential loanee.

Looks like Sebastian LeToux, currently of the Philadelphia Union and formerly of Seattle Sounders FC, is going to be signed by Bolton. Terrible news for Meacon though I'm excited for the possibility of an ex-Sounder being in the Premier League for at least a couple months.

Colin Cramb

:w00t:

Howson is a big loss for Leeds if he goes, the fans must be getting beyond frustrated at Ken Bates now.

I've just been reading the Leeds forum I frequent and I've never seen the fanbase so united against him, usually he has a few people defending him (often myself included, though that's mainly just through the fact that some people make up bullshit arguments rather than liking Bates) but today, no-one. In the last few years we've sold/lost Delph, Beckford, Johnson, Schmeichel, Gradel and now Howson, who've we replaced them with? Mika Vayrynen, Billy Paynter, Michael Brown and Robbie cunting Rogers.

Edit: Also:

394146_10150526821259360_586519359_8382082_1542044614_n.jpg

According to McLeish, Grayson enquired but McLeish hadn't got back to him. Unless there's been a more recent development. And as good as Delph is, it's not really much consolation that we've sold one of our best 2-3 players and intend on replacing him with a six month loan.

I find that a bit strange, prior to his injury he looked like a good premiership player, has he not been the same since his injury? I don't recall seeing him since he came back to be honest.

Before this season, in his cameo appearances he looked good. Showed his bite and vision well. This season he's been left behind by others. He got plenty of chances early on, but he really didn't take any of them at all. He just hasn't looked good enough. Hopefully the loan happens and sorts him out, there's a fantastic player in there somewhere.

Big problem for Delph, really, is Gary Gardner. By the time Delph comes back, Gardner is gonna be a staple in our midfield. The lad is fantastic.

Howson only had 6 months left on his contract, didn't he? Getting a couple of million quid for him isn't bad business at all if that's all accurate.

Yeah, I believe that's right, nonetheless, a club with ambition wouldn't have let their hometown hero who is one of their best players to get in that position.

I find that a bit strange, prior to his injury he looked like a good premiership player, has he not been the same since his injury? I don't recall seeing him since he came back to be honest.

Before this season, in his cameo appearances he looked good. Showed his bite and vision well. This season he's been left behind by others. He got plenty of chances early on, but he really didn't take any of them at all. He just hasn't looked good enough. Hopefully the loan happens and sorts him out, there's a fantastic player in there somewhere.

Big problem for Delph, really, is Gary Gardner. By the time Delph comes back, Gardner is gonna be a staple in our midfield. The lad is fantastic.

Fair enough, yeah, from what I've seen of Delph (admittedly that was mostly two years ago) he was a quality player that could easily cut at it the highest level, I'd hope that he's still of that standard (if not better, through training with better players) for his own sake, if not for ours.

• Admin

Liverpool are close to agreeing a deal for Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Carlos Teixeira. Talks are continuing between the two parties, with the latest bid understood to be £850,000 for a player who is yet to start a game for his current club. The 19-year-old is out of contract in the summer and Sporting Lisbon are suffering financial problems.

Blackburn are set to sign striker Anthony Modeste on loan from Bordeaux until the end of the season, according to the Ligue 1 side. The 23-year-old is travelling to England for a medical and to discuss personal terms. Modeste, who joined Bordeaux from Nice in 2010, has fallen out of favour with the club and lost his first-team place. However, Bordeaux insist the loan deal for Modeste does not include an option to buy him.

Queens Park Rangers have agreed a fee with Manchester City for Nedum Onuoha.

Chinese Super League side Shanghai Shenhua have claimed they are in talks to sign Chelsea striker Didier Drogba. "It's like flirting with a girl," said Shenhua spokesman Zhu Jun about the pursuit of Drogba on the Chinese equivalent of Twitter. "Perhaps she will resist you at first, but if you continue to ask her out, it always ends well. Never give up." Zhu also told the Shanghai Daily: "It's like making a blockbuster film. "When superstars like Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Zhou Xun have confirmed their participation, other actors and actress will be confident of the movie." Shanghai Shenhua finished 11th out of 16 teams in the Chinese league last season. They are determined to win the league and have already signed Brazilian forwards Cleo and Muriqui as well as former Fulham and Monaco boss Jean Tigana as their head coach.

Carlos Tevez's advisor will hold talks with French club Paris Saint-Germain on Thursday about a possible transfer.

Leicester City have agreed a fee with Manchester United to sign central midfielder Danny Drinkwater, BBC Radio Leicester understands. He is also shit.

Actually meant to come in here and post the Teixera news. Kenny Dalglish's transfer policy is very midfielder centric. I would like to see us getting a striker with some actual pace, who doesn't need to be kept in cotton wool like Bellamy does.