Formula One 2012

Lineker

Even if Vettel did overtake Vergne under the yellow flags, I'd much rather Ferrari left it alone.

I dunno, I just think that the championship should be over now. It would put a damper on such a great season, if this was to alter the result of the championship.

If they appeal and win the title this way, it will be absolutely pathetic. But at least it will remind people what a set of dishonest cretins Ferrari are. However many people were crying cos Alonso has 'more integrity' than Vettel (not on here but people I know and elsewhere) will not have a leg to stand on.

You lost, you weren't good enough. It's over. Let it be.

• Admin

I meant Vergne <_<

Red Bull's delight at securing a hat-trick of Formula 1 world championship successes will be shortlived, reckons Mercedes boss Ross Brawn.

Sebastian Vettel helped Red Bull achieve a third successive drivers' and constructors' title double at the Brazilian Grand Prix when he bounced back from a first-lap crash to finish sixth.

While Red Bull's chiefs are overjoyed at what they claim is their biggest achievement to date, Brawn suggests that there will be little time for the outfit to enjoy the spoils of its success.

"To win a race is a massive challenge, to win enough races to win a championship is pretty special, and to do it consecutive years is even more special," said Brawn, who was part of the dominant Ferrari set-up at the start of the 21st century.

"But I know their pleasure is going to be shortlived in that they are already thinking about next year.

"In our case, it was fantastic to win it, but always there is the pressure of the following year - you want to win it, repeat it, and do it again.

"It is so intense in F1, you rarely sit back and feel job done, fantastic.

"There is a feeling of elation and achievement, but a fear of failure that is immediately there for the following year. You have that mixture of emotions.

"It is very special to win any championship and to win consecutive championships.

"It is a great achievement, and one they should be proud of."

Red Bull is only the second outfit in F1 history, after Ferrari during the Michael Schumacher years (2000-04), to have completed a hat-trick of championship doubles with the same driver.

STATS: Ferrari dominance vs Red Bull dominance

Ross Brawn's Ferrari team won every F1 title available from 2000 to '04 with Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello - a run Red Bull is on the way matching with its 2010-12 double title hat-trick.

This is how the dominant eras compare so far, with Red Bull closing on Ferrari's five-year pole stats just three years into its reign but looking unlikely to match the Scuderia's win tally even if its steamroller run continues.

Ferrari 2000-04

Races: 85
Driver titles: 5
Constructor titles: 5
Wins: 57 (67%)
Poles: 51 (60%)
Fastest laps: 42
Podiums: 117

Red Bull 2010-12

Races: 58
Driver titles: 3
Constructor titles: 3
Wins: 28 (48%)
Poles: 41 (71%)
Fastest laps: 23
Podiums: 61[/code]
Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has thanked Michael Schumacher for his 'gracious' gesture of handing sixth place to Sebastian Vettel at the end of the Brazilian Grand Prix. Schumacher allowed Vettel to make an easy pass on him near the end of the Interlagos race, although seventh would have been sufficient for the Red Bull driver to claim the title regardless with his rival Fernando Alonso only second. "Michael very graciously gave him P6 and that was enough to convert his third consecutive world championship," said Horner. "Michael is renowned for being a tough racer. I think it was his gesture to Sebastian, almost like passing the baton on. "I'm sure it was not particularly well received at his former employer [Ferrari] but I thought it was very magnanimous of Michael to move out of the way for his fellow countryman." Horner admitted Red Bull had considered telling Vettel to hold position behind Schumacher rather than risking a battle with the seven-time champion in his final Formula 1 race. "I thought he'd be pretty tough to fight with," said Horner. "We weren't sure whether to tell Sebastian he didn't need that [position] so long as the finishing order was there so he didn't need to get in a scrap with Michael. "Michael obviously felt it was something he wanted to do and it was very generous that he moved over in his final grand prix." Schumacher and Vettel are long-time friends, and the elder German said after the race that he had no qualms about relinquishing sixth to his compatriot. "He was a lot quicker and there was no point getting engaged with him," said Schumacher. "I didn't see the point so that's why I moved over and let him through. "I'm proud of him. He's a good friend of mine."
McLaren will be a 'weaker team' after Lewis Hamilton's exit, reckons Red Bull boss Christian Horner. Hamilton's departure for Mercedes in 2013 means Jenson Button will be joined at McLaren by Sergio Perez, who has scored three podiums with Sauber but is yet to challenge at the front consistently or win a race. Along with Ferrari, McLaren has been Red Bull's main opposition through the Milton Keynes squad's three-season Formula 1 title run. But Horner believes the loss of Hamilton will significantly hamper McLaren. "I think McLaren is a weaker team without Lewis," said Horner. "I think McLaren would admit that. "Lewis is an outstanding driver and in Lewis and Jenson they had a hugely strong driver line-up." He added that he would not discount McLaren even with its new driver pairing. "McLaren have had a great car this year and who's to say they won't have an even better one next year," Horner said. But he also believes Mercedes is set to be a greater force with Hamilton onboard. "Whichever team had taken Lewis, he would be an asset," said Horner. "I'm sure he will naturally add performance to Mercedes next year."
McLaren must use the momentum of its strong end to the season to prevent another world championship slipping through its grasp next year, according to team boss Martin Whitmarsh. Jenson Button claimed McLaren's seventh victory of the 2012 Formula 1 season in the Brazilian Grand Prix, giving it the same victory tally for the season as Red Bull, which took both the drivers' and constructors' titles. Looking towards next year, Whitmarsh said that McLaren was buoyed by its victories in the last two races of the season, and it was now up to the outfit to do all it could over the winter to ensure its 2013 car was just as strong. "We've had a good competitive car for the last part of this season," he said. "That means we just have to do that for the beginning of next year. "We've had a quick car for a lot of this year, but we have to make sure we're really taking the points when they are there to be taken. "Many have slipped through our fingers this year, which is frustrating, but we've had seven great victories. "Many teams would be delighted with that. But we're not delighted with it. "Nonetheless, we've a good foundation for next year with relative stability in rules, so we ought to be able to come out with a decent package." McLaren could have moved ahead of Ferrari for second in the constructors' championship if it had finished first and second in Brazil.
But its hopes of doing that were wrecked by a collision between Nico Hulkenberg and Lewis Hamilton. Speaking about the incident, Whitmarsh said: "That's what happens in motor racing. "It was an incredibly exciting race for everyone, great for the championship and great for the fans. "Jenson did it all right; Lewis did it all right until becoming a victim of Nico. "It was a racing incident. I accept that, but it was a tough one for the team and a tough one, in particular, for Lewis. It wasn't how we wanted it to end."
Pirelli hopes that a decision on whether or not it will continue as Formula 1's tyre supplier for 2014 can be made well before next June's deadline. The Italian tyre company signed a three-year contract with the teams and the sport's chiefs back in 2010 to become F1's exclusive tyre partner. No decision has been made yet on whether or not the deal will be renewed, but there is no urgency yet as mid-2013 has been earmarked as the official deadline for the matter to be resolved. But with F1 heading towards a radical change of car designs for 2014, Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery said he would prefer an quicker resolution. "The deadline is June next year, but we would be keen to have a decision earlier than that," said Hembery. "If we need to find 300-400 people a different job then we need to know earlier. "We are starting to talk and finding out what the sport wants. With the cars changing dramatically for 2014 from a tyre manufacturer and producer's point of view, there is so much changing at once." Pirelli has suggested it could trial more aggressive tyres if it is able to continue beyond its original deal. But until a contract is in place, Hembery says that the firm will not spend too much time developing its 2014 rubber. When asked by AUTOSPORT about Pirelli's testing plans for 2013, Hembery said: "We need a contract, as there is nothing to test right now."
Kamui Kobayashi has thanked the fans who have tried to help save his Formula 1 career by backing a fundraising website. After losing his Sauber drive because he could not raise enough sponsorship money, Kobayashi has set up a 'Kamui Support' website where fans can donate money to help boost his funds. The website has only been active for a few days, but the Japanese driver announced on Tuesday that it was generating great interest and he had already secured around £500,000. In a message posted in Japanese on his Twitter account, Kobayashi said: "Thank you for your support from everyone for 'Kamui Support'. Thank you very much. "As of November 27, the current fundraising total was 65,813,672 yen." Although the £500,000 would not be enough to secure a drive on its own, a growing fund like that could prove useful in topping up any backing he has. Kobayashi said at the weekend that he was in talks with another team - believed to be Force India - but that his chances rested on securing funding. "We're just waiting for some money to come in," said Kobayashi. "We're waiting, we just need a sign. "It will be difficult. I'm talking with another team, but it's difficult to say. If I don't talk [to other teams] it means I'm retired."
[color=#8B0000][b]2013 Formula 1 line-up so far[/b][/color] Kobayashi's quest for a seat appears to be down to Force India and Caterham, with most of next year's field now settled:
[code]Red Bull-Renault Sebastian Vettel Mark Webber
Ferrari Fernando Alonso Felipe Massa
McLaren-Mercedes Jenson Button Sergio Perez
Lotus-Renault Kimi Raikkonen Romain Grosjean *
Mercedes Lewis Hamilton Nico Rosberg
Sauber-Ferrari Nico Hulkenberg Esteban Gutierrez
Force India-Mercedes Paul di Resta drive available
Williams-Renault Pastor Maldonado Valtteri Bottas
Toro Rosso-Ferrari Daniel Ricciardo Jean-Eric Vergne
Caterham-Renault Charles Pic drive available
Marussia-Cosworth Timo Glock Max Chilton *
HRT-Cosworth** Pedro de la Rosa drive available

* Drive not yet officially confirmed
** HRT future is still unclear

• Admin
Valtteri Bottas will race alongside Pastor Maldonado at the Williams team during the 2013 Formula 1 season, the British squad confirmed on Wednesday.

The Finn was widely expected to land the racing drive after acting as Williams's third driver during the 2012 season, replacing Bruno Senna in opening practice for 15 of the 20 grands prix.

The 23-year-old from Nastola won the GP3 championship in 2011 and spent this year testing for Williams. He told AUTOSPORT earlier this week that he "needed" to go back to racing next year.

Bottas, who was signed by Williams in 2010, admitted on Wednesday that racing in Formula 1 will be a dream come true for him.

"It has always been my life-long dream to compete in the Formula 1 world championship," he said.

"To do so with one of the most legendary teams in the sport is incredibly special. I've really enjoyed my three years with Williams so far and feel very at home here so my goal was always to stay for 2013 and progress to a race seat."

Team boss Frank Williams said he was extremely excited about his line-up for the 2013 season.

"In Pastor and Valtteri we have two of the most exciting talents in motor racing and I'm especially excited about what 2013 can bring for Williams," he said.

"Pastor has always demonstrated remarkable pace and this year has seen him mature as a racing driver.

"Valtteri is quite simply one of the most talented young racing drivers I have come across and we expects great things from him in the future."

Williams also thanked Senna for his work at the team during the 2012 season. The Brazilian's future in F1 remains uncertain, with very few racing seats available.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to thank our departing driver Bruno Senna for his hard work over the past year and wish him the best of luck going forward," Williams said.

AUTOSPORT Says

F1 editor Edd Straw

Signing Valtteri Bottas is a genuine statement of intent by Williams. Having run him extensively over the past 12 months, Williams has no doubt of the very real potential that the Finn has to emerge as a top-line driver.

That this is regarded as more important to the team than retaining Bruno Senna, whose presence in the squad is reckoned to be worth around $14 million but who didn't do himself or the car justice with his performances in 2012, tells you everything you need to know about the ambition of the team.

Yes, the Finn is a rookie. While he has 15 free practice sessions under his belt, not to mention almost 2800kms of testing, the step from F3/GP3 level straight into F1 is a big one. But all of the evidence suggests that he's a driver with the ability to make the stride effectively.

Some within the team reckon that Bottas is fundamentally the quickest of this year's three drivers. That's saying something considering Pastor Maldonado's mercurial qualifying performances.

He's also a level-headed driver with the right level of intensity to combine speed with an intelligent approach, which, if the car is as good as Williams's recent progress suggests, could be potent.

Expect this move to pay off big-time for Williams over the next few years. Everything AUTOSPORT has seen of Bottas suggests that it will.

As for Senna, it's important not to underestimate the disadvantage he had of missing 28 per cent of the available free practice running this season. He's likely to be on the grid elsewhere in 2013 and if he can cut out the errors, he can still emerge as a reliable performer at this level, even if he doesn't share Bottas's ultimate potential.

Bruno Senna said he knew it was likely that Valtteri Bottas would replace him at the Williams team for the 2013 season.

The Brazilian joined the Grove squad for the 2012 season, but was replaced by Bottas in 15 of the 20 opening practice sessions during the year.

Williams confirmed on Wednesday that the Finnish driver will race alongside Pastor Maldonado in 2013.

Senna admitted the announcement did not come as a big surprise for him.

"Since the beginning of my programme with Williams I accepted that I had to share the car with Valtteri for 15 Fridays as a part of his preparation for a likely debut in 2013," Senna said.

The Brazilian scored 31 points this year and finished the championship in 16th position, one place behind team-mate Maldonado, winner of the Spanish Grand Prix.

Despite losing his seat, Senna believes he has made huge progress as a driver this season.

"It has been extremely satisfying to be the team's most regular point scorer and for me to demonstrate my pace in all 20 races," he said.

"I have learned a lot and improved considerably through the season. I have had a relatively short career so far and feel as though I have come a long way in just a few years.

"I had some notable achievements this year, such as the fastest lap in the Belgian GP, my favourite track, scoring points on a regular basis and making up many, many places through the races.

"Regularly racing in the top 10 has certainly been a step forward in my still relatively short career and has allowed me to further sharpen up my race craft.

"Working with a competitive and supportive engineering team like Williams has left me well prepared for the next step in my career."

Senna said he will announce his future plans soon.

Pastor Maldonado believes Williams's main goal for the 2013 season should be to be more consistent than it was during 2012.

The Grove team bounced back from its worst campaign in 2011, where it scored just five points, with a promising start to the year which included victory in the Spanish Grand Prix in May.

After the win however Maldonado failed to score any points for nine consecutive races. The Venezuelan finished the year on 45 points and in 15th position.

He is convinced Williams has the potential to do much better next season.

"We have a lot of potential as a team and next year we must continue this upward trend and produce a car that can challenge for strong points finishes and podiums at a wide range of circuits," Maldonado said shortly after being confirmed at Williams for 2013.

"The goal is to be more competitive next year and have a car that is consistently in the points and challenging for podiums.

"This year we showed excellent pace at a number of tracks such as Barcelona, Monaco and Abu Dhabi, but we didn't have the consistency to maintain that at every grand prix.

"We have all the tools needed to push the top teams, and hopefully we can learn from this year and move further up the field."

Maldonado is sure Williams has all the ingredients to return to the top again. The team finished in eighth place in the 2012 constructors' standings.

"I firmly believe that we have all the tools we need to become a top team again and fight for podiums more consistently that we have this year," he said.

"It's not easy as the standard is so high right now, but the gap between the teams is very small which means that a few tenths per lap can make all the difference.

"My ambition is to win the world championship and I'd love to be able to do that with Williams and be alongside some of the greats who have won titles here.

"I feel ready to fight for wins and after tasting success this year I want to experience that again as soon as possible."

Williams insists new signing Valtteri Bottas will not be given carte blanche and will instead be expected to deliver points finishes in his rookie season.

The team announced on Wednesday that the 23-year-old will line-up alongside Pastor Maldonado next season.

With the team pushing to improve on eighth in the constructors' championship, and build upon its first win since 2004, Williams boss Toto Wolff said the team could not afford to give Bottas extra dispensation to make mistakes in his debut year.

Wolff insisted that Bottas would be able to handle such pressure.

"First of all [when you] come in to F1 you have to cope with pressure, and I think Valtteri is capable of coping with that," Wolff said.

"It is his rookie season, but it is not the case that everything is allowed - he is pretty aware of that.

"He is a relaxed driver, always was, so it won't affect him a lot."

Wolff said that Bottas, like Maldonado, was on a long-term deal with the team but would be operating with the expectation of scoring points in his maiden year.

"What is important for us is that we have long-term, multiple-year deals with both drivers to have stability for the team," Wolff said.

"As for the team, we are pretty well aware Valtteri will have his rookie season next year, but for us he plays an important role because everyone knows him, he has been an investment of the team.

"We believe he is going to do well, learn a lot from Pastor at the beginning.

"For us it is important to score a good level of points; I think this is what we are expecting from him."

Wolff added that Bottas will bring his own sponsorship to the team, helping to smooth the financial blow of losing Bruno Senna.

"I think we are all aware that operations have to be financed: finance plays an important role. In that case for us important to have best possible package," Wolff explained.

"Valtteri has partners committed to follow him into F1. We have an omnipresent commercial reality, [so] I'm happy to say [Valtteri] did a great job on and off the track. He was quite successful in Finland securing backing."

Sebastian Vettel believes he has proved his doubters wrong after charging through the field in the Abu Dhabi and Brazilian Grands Prix to secure his third title.

The Red Bull driver started from the pitlane in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix but went on to finish in third position.

In Brazil, he spun on the opening lap after contact with Bruno Senna but came through the field with a damaged car to secure sixth position and with it the 2012 championship.

Vettel believes it is funny to think of the comments from doubters who thought he could only be strong when he was starting from pole position.

"It's actually a little bit of comedy to look back now and you were the driver who can't overtake," said Vettel during a media event at the Red Bull factory.

"Now after just two races people have changed their mind.

"To win from the front and to come through the field is the same. You still do your best, and people credit you have overtaken.

"You have come through the field, more than you pulling away and pulling lead of 8s or something. They don't maybe understand what it is worth to pull that gap.

"Last year we always started from a great position and, yeah, we didn't have to overtake, and then you get criticised for not overtaking."

Vettel won last year's title commandingly, taking 11 wins and scoring over 100 points more than his closest rival. This year, however, he beat Fernando Alonso by just three points.

The Red Bull driver admitted the pressure to win back-to-back titles increased, but he reckons that focusing on each race individually is one of the keys to his success.

"It's not easy to stay focussed in that regard - it's very, very hard but I think for me I always try to go step by step," he said. "I said on Sunday after the race that the hardest thing is to win again after you have won.

"You get the attention and the pressure and you are very likely to focus on how to win again, rather than focus on small steps to win in the first place. Obviously we won the championship last year and this year again, so I don't want to praise ourselves, but I think we have done a couple of things right."

The three-time champion reiterated that the Brazilian Grand Prix had been extremely hard for him after his car was damaged at the start.

"It's not a miracle, there's an explanation," he said. "Obviously it didn't make our life easier the fact the car was quite damaged after that. I was just not competitive.

"We lost a lot of power due to damage on the exhaust and we lost lot of performance due to damage on floor."

Red Bull boss Christian Horner admits he was impressed by the way Sebastian Vettel managed to keep his focus and rise above the 'gamesmanship' of rival teams.

The German decried the use of 'dirty tricks' in the aftermath of clinching his third straight Formula 1 World Championship crown.

Red Bull and Vettel were embroiled in several rows across 2012, including technical disputes and speculation linking him to Ferrari.

Horner praised Vettel for not allowing such gamesmanship to affect his focus.

"I think there have been several of his opponents that have tried to [get under his skin]. It is part of sport isn't it," Horner said during a media event in Milton Keynes.

"Sebastian showed the true strength of his character because he has not got involved.

"In many respects I'd suggest [it was] gamesmanship, but he's never allowed it to distract him, he's always maintained his focus."

Asked whether it had ever gone too far, Horner replied: "I think that everybody has their own way and their own character...

"The success we have had sometimes does not sit too easily with some of our more established colleagues, [but] we don't allow it to distract us. We focus on ourselves; on what we can do."

Horner believes Vettel's 2012 triumph is his best yet, particularly because he and Red Bull had significant ground to make up across the second half of the season.

In contrast to 2011, when Vettel racked up 11 wins and clinched the title with four races to go, he had to overcome a 39-point deficit to Fernando Alonso in order to clinch this year's crown.

"I think in many respects this championship is his best," Horner said.

"He's had to work so hard for it. His mental strength has always been very, very impressive, but this year again he's stepped it up another level.

"He's never given up, he's never allowed himself to get distracted no matter whether people have tried to get under his skin or not.

"He has never allowed his focus to wane, and almost the more the pressure he has been under the better he has delivered.

"He knew coming out of the summer break 39 points behind that he needed to start delivering and he put a string of four race wins together which was hugely impressive.

"But beyond that his drive back in Abu Dhabi was massively impressive and the mental strength he has - on Sunday [in Brazil] a lot of lesser drivers would have wilted under that pressure."

Former world champion Alan Jones rates Kimi Raikkonen's comeback season as "one of the most successful" the sport has seen.

1980 champion Jones said the Finn's performances were on a similar level to Niki Lauda, who won the title in the third year of his comeback.

The Austrian had quit grand prix racing before the end of the 1979 season but returned with McLaren in 1982, winning his third and final championship in 1984.

Speaking on the official podcast for the Australian Grand Prix, Jones - whose own return to the series in 1985/86 with the newly-created Team Haas was unsuccessful - said: "I think he surprised a lot of people, me included.

"He's come back to Formula 1 and he's done extremely well. It's probably one of the most successful comebacks, next to Lauda and so forth, so good on him."

Jones also reserved praise for Michael Schumacher, who retired for the second time following Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix, after a less-than-successful three-year return with Mercedes.

"I think Michael probably didn't get the car that he thought he was going to get," he added, as the German leaves the sport to make way for Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes.

"People say to me he shouldn't have come back, well at the end of the day there's only one person that decides whether he should back or not and that's Michael. You do it for yourself, for nobody else."

Maria de Villota underwent further surgery last week following her dramatic accident during testing for the Marussia team.

The Spanish driver, who lost her right eye as a consequence of the crash, had her first operation since appearing in public for the first time in October.

De Villota underwent surgery for more than seven hours at the La Paz hospital in Madrid, in an operation aimed at the cranial and ocular reconstruction.

New plaques were added to her skull and the doctors said the operation had been a success.

De Villota left the intensive care unit today and will continue with the recovery process, which is not expected to be too long, according to the doctors.

She has one, less critical, operation left.

"Maria has to start her recovery process again but she still has that vital strength that we are used to and she is improving all the times," said her father Emilio de Villota.

"We have been able to talk to her these days and she even followed the final race of the season."

• Admin

Keep up LUKIE!

Ferrari wants clarification from the FIA over Sebastian Vettel's overtaking move on Jean-Eric Vergne at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Prior to explanations from the FIA on Thursday that Vettel's pass of Vergne took place immediately after a green flag signal, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali wrote a letter to FIA president Jean Todt on Wednesday night seeking a detailed explanation of the circumstances surrounding the incident on lap four.

The team wants confirmation that Vettel's pass did not take place under yellow flag conditions, as video evidence that has been widely distributed since the weekend did not provide a clear answer.

Although there had been talk that Ferrari could protest the result of the championship, such a scenario is thought to be highly unlikely.

A spokesman for Ferrari said: "We are seeking clarification about the overtaking move."

Ferrari's Fernando Alonso lost the world championship by just three points to Vettel after the season finale in Brazil.

Formula 1's ruling body, the FIA, says there is "no case" to answer in the controversy involving Sebastian Vettel's overtaking of Jean-Eric Vergne during the Brazilian Grand Prix.

It confirmed exclusively to AUTOSPORT that it was in no doubt that Vettel's pass was legitimate.

Vettel was crowned champion for the third time at Interlagos after finishing in sixth position in an action-packed race in which he was spun after making contact with Bruno Senna on the opening lap.

Ferrari's Fernando Alonso finished in second position, a result that left him three points behind Vettel in the standings.

On Wednesday evening, however, Ferrari said it was reviewing video footage allegedly showing Vettel overtaking Vergne in a yellow-flag sector between Turns 3 and 4 early in the race.

The team stated on Thursday that it had written to the FIA asking for clarification over the matter.

FIA sources have confirmed to AUTOSPORT that the yellow-flag sector at Interlagos started at the light panel just before Turn 3, at marshal sector 3, and ends about 150m before Turn 4, where a green light panel is displayed.

However, there is a marshal's post in between these two panels and a green flag was being waved there on that lap.

Under the FIA's rules for the Brazilian GP, if a green flag is displayed before a green light - as it was in Vettel's case - it is the first green that counts.

Therefore, the FIA is in no doubt that Vettel's pass was legitimate, which is why race control was not informed of any potential infringement.

The FIA confirmed to AUTOSPORT that no team had asked for a review of the incident. The ruling body also said it does not comment on the stewards' decisions.

Formula 1 fans, the media and Ferrari themselves have pored over YouTube clips from the Brazilian Grand Prix that appeared to show Sebastian Vettel overtaking Jean-Eric Verge before the end of a yellow flag zone on lap four.

Yet although this short video was enough to prompt Ferrari to ask for clarification about the matter, detailed analysis of the incident by high level sources shows that the Red Bull driver was entirely within the regulations - and that there are no grounds for further investigation.

An FIA spokesman confirmed to AUTOSPORT that during the race itself there had been no report from a marshal about any overtaking under yellow flags, as would most likely have happened if a breach of the regulations had taken place.

Furthermore, an in-depth look of the warning lights and marshal's post set-up at the Interlagos circuit showed that Vettel's pass took place after he had passed a green flag.

Although the 'yellow' sector itself starts at a light panel just before Turn 3, and ends about 150m before Turn 4, the light panels are a supplement to the traditional flags and are rarely in the same location.

With the use of lights, due to increased visibility, the track can be divided up into fewer sectors as line-of-sight is not always needed between them. At Interlagos, there were 22 marshals' posts while the FIA installed 16 light panels, which means there was overlap in places. The warning lights are also linked to the display in the cockpit.

According to high level FIA sources, the light panel that was showing yellow for Pastor Maldonado's stricken Williams was shown 100 metres before the next marshal post, which was located near the exit of the pitlane.

At this marshal's post a green flag was being waved on lap four - at the same time as the light signal at Turn Four was displaying green.

The separation of these two posts was about 350 metres and FIA race director Charlie Whiting has made it clear to drivers since lights were introduced more than five years ago that when there are consecutive signals from both a flag and a light, it is the first one that counts.

So if, for example, a yellow flag is displayed followed later by a yellow light, then the no overtaking area begins at the first yellow signal which would be the flag.

So, as happened in the Vettel case, if a driver is given a green warning flag followed by a green warning light, it is the first green that counts.

Vettel's pass took place after the first green flag but before the green light, so was wholly legitimate.

This was why race control was not informed of any potential infringement and the matter was never subject to a post-race inquiry by the stewards.

By Jonathan Noble

Mark Webber remains determined to beat Sebastian Vettel and insists he will not play a supporting role to the world champion.

Vettel secured his third title in a row last weekend while Webber had to settle for sixth position in the standings after a difficult season.

The Australian will be Vettel's team-mate again next year.

After three titles in succession, Webber admits Vettel continues to be on the front foot at Red Bull, but insists he will never start a season thinking of being number two to the German.

"Obviously with Sebastian's form, he's clearly on the front foot," Webber was quoted as telling reporters in Tasmania by Reuters.

"Not only from within our team but he's won three world titles on the bounce now so all the drivers have got to try and topple him.

"I don't go there thinking I've got to be playing a team role as such. I'm there for myself, to get the best results possible and to do that I need to be part of the team.

"So, no, I'm not going there thinking in a supporting role at all."

Webber won two races this year but endured a disappointing second half of the season and dropped down the order in the championship.

The Australian conceded he lacked consistency.

"Ultimately we just weren't consistent enough compared to 2010 and 2011. Our qualifying pace this year was a very, very good step forward but [not] our Sunday performances," he said.

"It wasn't strong enough towards the end but they're fine margins and before you know it, the odd non-finish here and there, and the points are not in your favour."

• Admin
The HRT Formula 1 team looks set to officially close down after failing to find a buyer before the FIA's deadline for 2013 entries on Friday.

The squad was absent from the 22-car entry list published by the governing body on Saturday.

HRT had been put up for sale by owner Thesan Capital just before the United States Grand Prix.

Attempts were made to find a buyer before the entry deadline. AUTOSPORT understands that Chinese company Chery Automobile among those involved in talks to save HRT.

Sources indicate that the team is now working to pay its creditors and that the plan is for the team to shut down without unpaid debts.

Team representatives declined to comment on the current situation.

HRT was originally launched as Campos Meta by former F1 driver Adrian Campos when the FIA invited new entries for the 2010 season.

But its first reconstitution happened before it even made the grid, as former Jordan/Midland boss Colin Kolles was parachuted in to lead a last-minute rescue when the project hit funding problems.

Kolles saw the renamed Hispania team through to the middle of the 2011 season, when it was bought by Thesan.

It was relocated to a Madrid base in an attempt to revive the Spanish team image that Campos had originally planned, with Luis Perez-Sala installed as team boss.

Designing its own car for the first time after adapting a Dallara-produced chassis in its early years, HRT hinted at progress in 2012 as it briefly closed on Marussia.

But it drifted away at the tail of the field by the end of the year, with its funding problems clearly apparent as tales of parts shortages dominated what turned out to be its final races.

HRT had beaten Marussia to 11th spot in the constructors' championship in its first two years, before falling to last in 2012.

It is the first F1 team to close down since Super Aguri's mid-2008 exit.

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone believes the controversy over Sebastian Vettel's overtaking move in the Brazilian Grand Prix is a "complete joke".

Vettel took his third championship after finishing in sixth position in Brazil, but rival Ferrari said it was reviewing video footage allegedly showing the Red Bull driver passing Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne in a yellow-flag sector between Turns 3 and 4 on the fourth lap.

Since then, however, the FIA has made it clear there is no case to answer as it was clear a green flag was being waved before Vettel completed the pass.

Ecclestone believes the situation has detracted from what was a thrilling end to the season.

"It's a shame because everything had gone so well," Ecclestone told the Telegraph. "It was a super race, a super championship. Now everyone is talking about this. The problem is that no one knows what is going on."

Ecclestone is convinced nothing will happen despite the controversy.

"Personally I think it's not really like Ferrari to do this. I think they badly wanted to win. But if you want to go back and see what Ferrari have done down the years...

"But nothing will happen. What can they do? Take civil action? Maybe. But the case is flawed before it starts. Nothing is going to happen."

The F1 boss also feels Ferrari's call for a clarification comes too late.

"In the rules and regs normally you have to protest. They [Ferrari] missed that time," said Ecclestone.

"Then there is the fact that a green flag was shown, which nobody seems to dispute.

"It's a complete joke. What they are saying in that letter is wrong. I don't think there needs to be any action taken. It's completely and utterly wrong."

Ferrari considers the controversy surrounding Sebastian Vettel's overtaking move of Jean-Eric Vergne in the Brazilian Grand Prix now 'closed', after receiving an official response from the FIA.

The Maranello-based team had written to motor racing's governing body asking for clarification on the pass - with on-board footage from Vettel's car appearing to indicate he passed his Toro Rosso rival under yellow flag conditions.

Prior to an FIA clarification that Vettel's pass had been completed after a marshal had waved a green flag, as first revealed by AUTOSPORT, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali wanted answers from the governing body to ensure that nothing untoward had happened.

Click here for AUTOSPORT's exclusive analysis of why Vettel's pass was legal

The FIA responded on Friday morning to explain the situation, and Ferrari is now happy that the issue has been put to rest.

In a statement issued on Friday it said: "Ferrari duly takes note of the reply sent by the FIA this morning and therefore considers the matter now closed."

Ferrari made it clear that it had a duty to its fans to follow up the Vettel controversy after widespread distribution of the Vettel video.

"The request for a clarification from the FIA, regarding Vettel's passing move on Vergne, came about through the need to shed light on the circumstances of the move, which came out on the Internet only a few days after the race," added the Ferrari statement.

"The letter to the FIA was in no way intended to undermine the legality of the race result.

"We received tens of thousands of queries relating to this matter from all over the world and it was incumbent on us to take the matter further, asking the Federation to look into an incident that could have cast a shadow over the championship in the eyes of all Formula 1 enthusiasts, not just Ferrari fans."

The FIA also issued a statement on Friday confirming that it told Ferrari that it was adamant the overtaking move was not in breach of the regulations.

"The FIA received a letter from Scuderia Ferrari, seeking clarification on Sebastian Vettel's overtaking manoeuvre in Sao Paulo on Sunday," it said.

"In the spirit of transparency and goodwill, the FIA wishes to make public the receipt of this letter.

"The Federation also informs it has replied to Scuderia Ferrari, in the same constructive spirit, stating that as the overtaking manoeuvre was not in breach of the regulations, and therefore there was no infringement to investigate, it was not reported to the Stewards by Race Control."

Red Bull has expressed its satisfaction - but not surprise - that the controversy over Sebastian Vettel's overtaking move on Jean-Eric Vergne is at an end.

Rivals Ferrari had written to the FIA asking for clarification about the legality of Vettel's lap four pass of Vergne, which appeared from on board video footage to have taken place under yellow flag conditions.

However, following clarification from the FIA that Vettel only passed Vergne after he had been shown a green flag, Ferrari said on Friday that the matter was now closed.

In a short statement issued on Red Bull's website, the reigning champions welcomed the matter coming to an end.

"We are pleased, but not surprised, that the FIA has confirmed there is no case to answer regarding the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix," said the team.

"We are extremely proud of Sebastian's incredible achievement and his third historic title, which makes him the youngest ever triple world champion."

Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali has denied his team's intention was to diminish Sebastian Vettel's championship victory when asking for clarification on the German's pass in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Ferrari wrote a letter to the FIA asking for clarification on the move after footage from the race appeared to indicate he may have overtaken Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Verne under yellow flag conditions.

The team received the clarification from the FIA and said on Friday that it considered the matter closed.

Domenicali said on Friday it was his team's duty to ask for clarification, but made it clear it was not Ferrari's intention to cast a shadow over Vettel's third title.

"I believe it was the duty of our team to make sure that the championship finishes in the best way possible, for the interest of the championship and for the interest of the team and our drivers," said Domenicali during a press conference in Madrid.

"It was our duty to ask for a clarification to the FIA to understand what was the thing that was circulating on the web, without trying to diminish the victory of the driver who has won the title.

"But with the approach of seeking clarity and trying to understand what was the video that was on television. It was nothing more than that.

"So it was a very rational and very correct approach from Ferrari to make sure that we understood. We have received the clarification from the FIA, so we have taken notice of their position.

The Italian insisted the team has now moved on and is already focusing on giving Fernando Alonso a car to win the title next season.

"As I said, there's nothing to say apart from the fact that we look ahead," he said. "We need to look ahead and these things will give us more spirit to look for the start of next season.

"I believe Fernando deserved this title and we need to make sure that Fernando will be able to win the title next year."

Domenicali also said his team will always do whatever is necessary to ensure everyone abides by the rules.

"I think that there were a lot of polemics, not only this year but also in the past," he added.

"This is part of F1, and not only F1. If we don't as sportsmen follow the principle that the FIA has the duty to make sure that everyone is compliant with the regulations and we don't believe in it, it is better to do another job.

"Of course when we speak about regulations we speak about something that is always on the limit, the limit is very thin and sometimes difficult.

"What I can guarantee looking ahead we will make sure that if we see something we will use our formalities to make sure that our rights are totally protected."

Red Bull faces a $3.26 million payout on Friday as the deadline for entry fees for next year's Formula 1 world championship closes.

As part of the move to increase the FIA's revenue from Formula 1, teams have faced a dramatic increase in entry fees for the 2013 season.

The new structure replaces the flat 309,000 Euros fee with a sliding scale. Each team must now make a basic $500,000 payment, with the constructors' champions then paying $6000 per point scored and every other team paying an extra $5000 per point.

Although the rise in fees caused some controversy when it was introduced, FIA president Jean Todt told AUTOSPORT earlier this month that he believed the new system was much fairer.

"The smallest teams will pay less, as they will pay $500,000 - $800,000. So that is about six teams out of 12," he said. "The biggest teams with the biggest revenues will pay more.

"I feel in any democratic country you are paying your taxes depending on your income. So it will generate about 30 per cent more from this side."

F1 teams have already lodged their entries for next year, and made the $500,000 initial payment, but must now pay the full amount by the end of Friday.

The deadline will also likely make the fate of HRT clearer, with the outfit having already been given dispensation to delay its $500,000 when it lodged its original 2013 entry.

The full scale of fees for the 12 F1 teams is:

1. Red Bull Racing   460 points     $3.26 million
2. Ferrari 400 points $2.5 million
3. McLaren 378 points $2.39 million
4. Lotus 303 points $2.015 million
5. Mercedes 142 points $1.21 million
6. Sauber 126 points $1.13 million
7. Force India 109 points $1.045 million
8. Williams 76 points $0.88 million
9. Toro Rosso 26 points $0.63 million
10. Caterham 0 points $0.5 million
11. Marussia 0 points $0.5 million
12. HRT 0 points $0.5 million[/code]

Force India says speed rather than money will be the deciding factor in who lines up alongside Paul di Resta next year.

The Silverstone-based team is expected to confirm its 2013 driver line-up in the next few weeks, with a host of names having been linked with the outfit.

Although Paul di Resta is understood to be certain to retain his drive, the identity of his team-mate is not yet clear, with Sebastien Buemi, Adrian Sutil, Bruno Senna and Kamui Kobayashi having been linked with it.

Force India chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer thinks it vital that the outfit finds a quick replacement for the departing Nico Hulkenberg, because that will ensure it gets the best out of di Resta too.

"I am a believer that you need someone like that," he told AUTOSPORT. "Not everyone does, and it is a subconscious thing.

"You think you are driving the best you can, but there is nothing like competition for us humans to really sharpen our focus, attention and skills in all sort of stuff.

"If you have competition you end up driving yourself more."

Force India is expected to announce its line-up at its Christmas party, which takes place in the middle of December.

"We will announce everything in a couple of weeks," said Szafnauer. "We have a pretty short list of candidates now."

Ferrari is bracing itself for what it believes will be the 'toughest year' in Formula 1 history next season, as teams get ready for new regulations in 2014.

With the outfit determined to make amends for the weaknesses that cost it this year's world championship, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali says he is under no illusions about the size of the task his outfit is facing if it wants to triumph.

He reckons that the challenge posed by new car and engine rules for 2014 is already immense, and that having to also keep pushing with its 2013 challenger will be tough.

"Next year will maybe be the most difficult year - we are in parallel two projects," said Domenicali during a press conference in Madrid on Friday.

"We need to make sure the 2013 car and team is successful and, on other hand, we have a group of people that need to make sure that with massive change, the car of 2014 will be successful.

"It is an extremely challenging year with a lot of investment, and a lot of opportunities, and I don't deny it will be a very critical year in order to achieve in all the directions the objectives that we want to achieve."

Domenicali has faith that Ferrari has learned valuable lessons this year, where Alonso lost the title by just three points to Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel.

"We know where we need to improve and I believe we have all the tools to make sure we will improve," he said. "Our season has not finished.

"On the Monday after the end of the championship I was back in Maranello to make sure the work around the next project will give a boost. We need to make sure the car is faster than it was at the beginning of this season. On that I have the confidence it will be."

Domenicali also thinks that Ferrari's main focus must be on lifting the performance of its car, because he reckons in other critical areas that team is good enough for championship success.

"We need to be pragmatic and consider that if you want to win you need to have the best car, the best driver, we have that is clear, the best strategy, the best pitstop, the best reliability and the best luck.

"On those six [items], I would say apart from two we had all four. The best car above all at the end of season and the beginning? No. So it is a fact to improve.

"And in terms of luck, I don't like to give the answer because it is quite easy to reply. Next year we need all six elements in our pocket and then I am sure we can succeed in the objective we want to achieve together."

He added: "You never give up. From the emotional point of view, when you receive a hit in the stomach it hurts, but we are good boxers. We stand up and fight again.

"I am convinced on one fact: that this year we had a difficult start for Felipe [Massa], a difficult start to the season, and I saw Felipe grow in a great way in the second half of the season.

"This will be an important element to count on as a team to be more competitive from the beginning of the season."

A memorial service to remember the late Professor Sid Watkins will take place in London in January.

Watkins, who was the long-serving Formula 1 medical delegate, passed away in September at the age of 84.

His family has now announced that a memorial service will be held at Marylebone Parish Church, 17 Marylebone Road in London at 11.30am on January 18.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who brought Watkins in to F1 in 1978, claimed after his death that he was 'irreplaceable'.

"You only meet somebody of his calibre once in your lifetime," Ecclestone said.

Former grand prix driver JJ Lehto has been freed of all charges for his part in the boat accident that killed a friend in 2010.

Last year, Lehto had been sentenced to two years and four months in prison after a court found he was drunk and speeding on his boat before crashing into a bridge support pillar in Finland in July of 2010.

Lehto, 46, had appealed the sentence, claiming he was not steering the boat, but instead sitting in the back when the accident occurred.

The Finn, who raced in Formula 1 from 1989 and 1994, has now been cleared of all charges.

• Admin
Fernando Alonso believes Ferrari was right to question Sebastian Vettel's pass on Jean-Eric Vergne in the Brazilian Grand Prix, despite the controversy it caused.

Several days after Vettel beat Alonso to the 2012 Formula 1 title at Interlagos, Ferrari wrote to the FIA seeking clarification following the emergence of video footage intimating that Vettel passed Vergne under yellow flags.

The FIA declared that the pass took place after a green flag so was legal - an explanation Ferrari accepted.

Although Alonso stayed out of the row, when questioned at the Ferrari World Finals event at Valencia on Sunday he backed his team's decision.

"There were a lot of video clips on the Internet and we knew our fans were asking for an explanation and so it was right for Ferrari to turn to the Federation for a clarification," Alonso said.

"We got a reply and I think everything has now calmed down.

"I did not pay much attention to all the uproar this incident caused, but I felt we owed our fans an answer."

He shrugged off any criticism of himself or Ferrari that the controversy generated.

"Frankly, I'm not that interested in what the opinion is of me in Germany or elsewhere," Alonso said.

"What I know is that people who see me in the streets hug me and call me gladiator or samurai."

And that's 2012.