EWB's Top 99 Artists of 2011

GoGo Yubari

Someone literally voted for "Rob Zombie/White Zombie" and I don't really care enough to separate them. Same rule applies to Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five. Also I'm in finals season right now so I will be updating this sparingly for the next few days. After that I will have no excuse!

blink182fueltv003.jpg

49. Blink 182 (25 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #52)

ramones_big.jpg

49. The Ramones (25 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

152_aerosmith4.jpg

48. Aerosmith (26 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #53)

Johnny20Cash-006.jpg

47. Johnny Cash (26 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #103)

Next Time On This Thing: Skummy's not gonna like this.

Oh dear, who's next? Is it Queen? I'm kind of over that particular bugbear now, but I feel I probably owe you a regurgitated rant all the same. Or is it just some wank?

That list was okay. Blink 182 and Aerosmith are terrible, but The Ramones and Johnny Cash more than make up for that.

I saw Aerosmith at Download last year, and they were awesome. Much better than AC/DC, and for a fraction of the cost!

This list is pretty good - it's the usual EWB clusterfuck of genres.

see-a-new-face-of-music-through-the-queen-5.jpg

45. Queen (28 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #66)

GreenDay.jpg

45. Green Day (28 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #25)

band1970a.jpg

44. Black Sabbath (28 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #153)

BrandNew.jpg

43. Brand New (28 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #91)

stooges_panoramic_462106a1.jpg

42. The Stooges (29 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

Alkaline-Trio.jpg

41. Alkaline Trio (29 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #19)

Next Time on This: Been thinking a lot today.

Meh! Only bands I care about there are Sabbath and The Stooges. Green Day's alright - I like most of Dookie but that's about it.

Sabbath and The Stooges rule. Green Day are awful. Brand New and Alkaline Trio I barely know, but don't like.

Queen - as I've said - I mellowed on recently. I still think a lot of their stuff is absolutely horrendous, but my recent renewed love for the Highlander franchise has reminded me that, actually, they've got their moments. Princes Of The Universe, Hammer To Fall and Gimme The Prize are all bad-ass.

Greenday and Brand New? Really EWB? Top 50? Really? Better than Elvis and Johnny Cash? Really?

I hate these threads, primarily from these posts. Seriously......two to four people voted for these bands, in a ballot which was probably voted on by about 20. They aren't that representative, and they probably are going to be full of bands that probably fall under the banner of 'popular' rather than 'good'. It happens, get over it, done.

• Like 1

I have always had a soft spot for Queen despite how absolutely over-the-top most of their catalog is. I think the appeal is that they did what they did better than anyone else in history.

Sabbath are great, Stooges are good but I've never had a huge urge to listen to them on the regular.

Alkaline Trio I'm neutral on, not a fan but they've never mamaged to get on my nerves.

Green Day get on my nerves but it's more because of how disappointing and overplayed everything from Warning onwards is. Their material before then I appreciate and in some cases like "Welcome to Paradise", "J.A.R.", and "Geek Stink Breath" really enjoy. But I cannot stand American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown to the point where they are 2 of my least favorite albums of the last decade.

This is the biggest collection of dad rock I've ever seen. Makes me wonder if you guys listen to music made in, you know, 2011.

Says the guy with a show in his sig so 2010.

Edited by zrc

I can't actually think of an album I really really like from this year. Art Brut's album was disappointing and Fleet Foxes' album was pleasant but not really memorable for me.

the-killers-large_0.jpg

40. The Killers (29 pts, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

tomwaits_4.jpg

39. Tom Waits (30 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Year: #86)

misfits.jpg

38. The Misfits (30 pts, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

queens-of-the-stone-age.jpg

36. Queens of the Stone Age (32 pts, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #20)

ben_folds_jpg_627x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

36. Ben Folds (Five) (32 pts, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #21)

Next Time, on etc.: YOU GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE