Euro 2012

Lineker

I wasn't surprised to see Italy score 2 goals in the fashion they did today. What surprised me was the way they just completely stifled the midfield-heavy attack of Germany. They just shut down passing lanes and made it impossible to do anything near the goal. Spain has really relied on a similar attack as the Germans this tournament, wouldn't you say? And the Italians have seemingly gotten better with each match. They were rather unlucky not to have beaten England in 90 minutes, and had to rely on penalty kicks. The final truly might come down to whether Del Bosque picks the right tactics or not. But it might also come down to penalty kicks because, quite frankly, I can't find any reason why the match shouldn't end 0-0 or if we're lucky 1-1.

Also, all that complaining about how Germany and Portugal both had 2 extra days rest was for naught. Though I think I speak for everyone when I say UEFA needs to adjust their scheduling of the tournament in 2016.

Well done Italy, stifled Germany and forced them to play bad football and deserved winners. Germany will be back. Will be a good final, although I never like to see a group match reappear as the final.

They played one of the best games of the tournament in the group stage and it was a draw. What better basis would there be for a rematch in the final?

I agree rematches aren't "preferred" but when nothing separated the two of them the first time it isn't a bad matchup. I much would have preferred Germany vs. Spain or Portugal vs. Italy for those reasons.

Not everyone will get this, but I hope this rematch doesn't go the way of Alabama vs. LSU.

They're racing stripes obviously. They make him go faster.

• Like 1

Spain. I want to tell my kids I watched the greatest international team of all time. This certainly helps set that up.

Plus, I'm tired of the frequent "I'm Italian!" folks who show up in the U.S. anytime Italy is in an international tournament. They know nothing about Italy, don't even know the team's players, but because their grandmother or someone is from Italy they are automatically as Italian as it gets. I'm looking at you Jersey Shore.*

*my grandmother is Italian, but I identify as Italian as much as I identify as Kenyan.

The greatest international team was probably 4 years ago, before Torres got his shit spell, and Villa on fire.

I wasn't quite referring to a single year, was referring to this generation of Spanish players--Iniesta, Xavi, Casillas, Fabergas, Xabi Alonso, etc. This entire run this Spanish team has had has been incredible, and if they win tomorrow could reasonably be called the best 4 or 5 year spell of any team in history.