Euro 2012

Lineker

Spain to finish this match without a striker then.

Pedro is sort of a striker... at least as much as David Villa is these days.

He's out wide with Cesc in the middle, isn't he? I miss Villa the clinical finisher.

Spain to finish this match without a striker then.

Pedro is sort of a striker... at least as much as David Villa is these days.

He's out wide with Cesc in the middle, isn't he? I miss Villa the clinical finisher.

He possibly is, can't say I noticed him much when he came on.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the problem with playing 4-6-0 given the way Spain play?

I'd suggest one shot on target in 90 minutes (straight at the keeper) is an issue. Pass pass pass is all well and good but when your best finishers are on the bench it isn't working against good sides. It could be fantastic potentially, but I'm not convinced a Villa-less Spain can beat Germany or maybe even Italy.

re: deciding a game. I don't get why extra time doesn't just keep going until we get a golden goal. Forever.

Penalties aren't that much more evolved than a coin toss, no matter how much you rip on that other guy :P

Because in theory the game could last 3 hours and that could cause problems for fans travelling home. Plus if the stadium is in/near a built-up area, you're potentially causing a huge public disturbance very late at night (remember, these games are going on until 23:30 before extra time anyway) by letting thousands of pissed up fans out at the same time.

Edit: Colly, even if they played Torres they'd still be pass-pass-pass,it's not really making much difference, they've had one shot on target because they haven't managed to get beyond the Portuguese back line.

And the reason I hate penalties isn't so much because it's a lottery but because it stops being a team game.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the problem with playing 4-6-0 given the way Spain play?

I'd suggest one shot on target in 90 minutes (straight at the keeper) is an issue.

They played the majority of the match with Negredo, a striker, and have looked better since replacing him with Fabregas.

A Penalty shoot-out is all about the psychological side. No matter how good you are at penalty-taking, if you're messed up psychologically, you have a good probability of sending the ball up in the skies.

Rui Patrício is my hero.

Edited by RafaelFms