Euro 2012

Lineker

Rooney was awful last night, constantly giving away possession. I'm guessing we brought Henderson on because they were worried Parker was probably about to break, he'd been chasing the ball a lot. Would've been lovely if we could've brough on someone like Scholes who has the experience to keep the ball and help dictate a game. But I agree, Defoe would've been a nice option to bring on for Rooney as a 3rd sub, I feel that's the one thing Roy handled badly this tournament. Granted, if his overhead kick went in it would've been the best thing ever, but he was largely ineffective and clearly not fit enough to play 120.

• Admin

I'd say that he wasn't fit enough for 90 let alone 120.

The German Football Association (DFB) are fined 25,000 euros (£20,051) over the behaviour of supporters during their Group B win over Denmark eight days ago. They were punished for the "improper conduct" of their fans, which allegedly included the displaying of a neo-Nazi banner in the crowd. Germany had already been fined just over £8,000 for supporter-related incidents during their game against Portugal.

Johnson was fantastic defensively last night. He's been one of our best players the whole tournament. He was the only player back to block about 4 or 5 clear opportunities that I can think of.

What?

Have you not seen John Terry this tournament? Even Lawro was commenting that Terry had done loads of work, and he's miserable about everything.

Johnson was okay for me defensively, but the weakest of the four at the back. I don't think Cahill would've mattered since Lescott had a fine tournament really, but Cahill does lend a hand getting forward. Still, I agree that we were set up in the 'right way' for our players, and we probably got as far as we could have done without drawing Greece.

What's Terry got to do with anything I said?

Edited by Pesci

Johnson was fantastic defensively last night. He's been one of our best players the whole tournament. He was the only player back to block about 4 or 5 clear opportunities that I can think of.

What?

Have you not seen John Terry this tournament? Even Lawro was commenting that Terry had done loads of work, and he's miserable about everything.

Johnson was okay for me defensively, but the weakest of the four at the back. I don't think Cahill would've mattered since Lescott had a fine tournament really, but Cahill does lend a hand getting forward. Still, I agree that we were set up in the 'right way' for our players, and we probably got as far as we could have done without drawing Greece.

He has to do with the crux of your own point. Obviously. He was by far and away our best defender and made countless blocks and tackles to keep us going in this tournament. For all his critics, and I can be one of those at times, he's had a fantastic end of season and summer campaign.

To Boxy:

I wondered why Di Natalie didn't feature, is there a reason for that? His pace for those balls over the top would've put us down very quickly. The fact that Mario managed to beat our offside trap numerous times is crazy. Although only catching them offside twice in the entire game was awful considering their approach.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

I'm guessing the 'only player back to block' because Terry also made a couple of cracking tackles/blocks.

No, I said he was the only player back to block about 4 or 5 clear opportunities that I can think of. As in, nobody else was back on those 4 or 5 opportunities - and I meant over the whole tournament, not just the Italy game. Generally a striker in the box with no defenders anywhere near to him who would've scored or at least forced a fantastic save out of Hart if they shot. I'm not disputing that Terry threw his body on the line and played well last night.

What?

He has to do with the crux of your own point. Obviously. He was by far and away our best defender and made countless blocks and tackles to keep us going in this tournament. For all his critics, and I can be one of those at times, he's had a fantastic end of season and summer campaign.

Then you misunderstood my point completely. See above. I didn't think I worded it that sloppily :/

Edited by Pesci

I feel like the greatest asset in England's footballing history is their defending, and Hogdson's managing style was perfect for the team, sit back and play in counter-attack. But, besides Wilshere, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes ( only Wilshere isn't old ), who actually has that creative spark to push counter-attacks? Nobody. Players might be hard-working, but they are hardly creative. Milner has one or two shiny moments, and Young is very irregular. Rooney is hard-working, but you don't see him doing any spectacular dribbling, or working a different play. Welbeck actually has some of that, Ox too. But they're too young and you can't just drop the responsibility on their shoulders.

The followiing will not be selected for the wc qualifiers: heitinga, Mathijssen, boularouz, van bommel, huntelaar and van der vaart

This is speculation, the media reported this not Van Marwijk himself. I highly doubt the likes of VdV, Huntelaar and Heitinga will never be called up again under him. Anyone could have mentioned Van Bommel, Boulahrouz and Bouma 'cause it's obvious they don't have a future due to age or just sucking.