Euro 2012

Lineker

A sad inevitably. Don't care how well drilled you are, how much 'heart' or 'passion' you've got, if you can't keep the ball you'll get nowhere. The fact that Hodgson sets him teams up to cede possession only exacerbates a huge problem in this country, which is that left to their own devices English players lack the brains to keep the ball.

Seriously, if a group of players who are payed £80,000+ a week can't keep control of the ball without the witterings of a manager, then the manager is fucked irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

agreed. fact is the players were embarrassingly outclassed from the 45th minute onward. we did well to hold on, and to top our group, but we've shown how far away from the good sides we are.

A sad inevitably. Don't care how well drilled you are, how much 'heart' or 'passion' you've got, if you can't keep the ball you'll get nowhere. The fact that Hodgson sets him teams up to cede possession only exacerbates a huge problem in this country, which is that left to their own devices English players lack the brains to keep the ball.

Seriously, if a group of players who are payed £80,000+ a week can't keep control of the ball without the witterings of a manager, then the manager is fucked irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

How much they're paid is irrelevant. Players from countries far worse than us earn exactly the same amounts. The problem is the entire footballing structure in this country is geared up to produce players who can only really excel when they're charing around at a 100 miles per hour, thundering into tackles and launching the ball from one end of the pitch to the big lad at the other. Suddenly when the game slows down our players can't cope. They're alright when they're surrounded by Spanish/Brazilian/Argentine or whatever players, but 11 of them on their own are clueless.

I don't blame Roy. It's something that has always been a problem with English football, and there doesn't really seem to be any appetite for it too change.

How much they're paid is irrelevant.

I don't blame Roy.

These are the two most important things. I know money isn't relevant, but it shored up my point a little. Yes, it is endemic in our game, but my point mostly stemmed from the second point, which is that it seemed like you did blame Roy a little for his choice in tactic, for something which, in a matter of months, he is fucked if he is going to be able to change it.

How much they're paid is irrelevant. Players from countries far worse than us earn exactly the same amounts. The problem is the entire footballing structure in this country is geared up to produce players who can only really excel when they're charing around at a 100 miles per hour, thundering into tackles and launching the ball from one end of the pitch to the big lad at the other. Suddenly when the game slows down our players can't cope. They're alright when they're surrounded by Spanish/Brazilian/Argentine or whatever players, but 11 of them on their own are clueless.

I don't blame Roy. It's something that has always been a problem with English football, and there doesn't really seem to be any appetite for it too change.

This.

I don't blame Roy.

These are the two most important things. I know money isn't relevant, but it shored up my point a little. Yes, it is endemic in our game, but my point mostly stemmed from the second point, which is that it seemed like you did blame Roy a little for his choice in tactic, for something which, in a matter of months, he is fucked if he is going to be able to change it.

He won't change it. It's how he plays. He said as much when things were going tits up for Liverpool - 'my methods have been the same for 35 years, why change now?' I don't blame him for that, it's how he's always been - the FA should have known that when they hired him. The problem is that we've now got a manager who openly admits he will only ever use a system which was looking outdated over a decade ago, when technically we're already years and years behind an awful lot of teams.

I don't blame Roy.

He won't change it. It's how he plays. He said as much when things were going tits up for Liverpool - 'my methods have been the same for 35 years, why change now?' I don't blame him for that, it's how he's always been - the FA should have known that when they hired him. The problem is that we've now got a manager who openly admits he will only ever use a system which was looking outdated over a decade ago, when technically we're already years and years behind an awful lot of teams.

even if he did change it, our technically poor side would be outclassed by sides who want, and are comfortable on, the ball.

Kilmarnock weren't playing, since that is the only team that I have heard you be vocally supportive of.

Oh Andy, I do hope you aren't being a glory hunter in any way, shape or form. This would completely lessen my opinion of you. :(

Kilmarnock weren't playing, since that is the only team that I have heard you be vocally supportive of.

Oh Andy, I do hope you aren't being a glory hunter in any way, shape or form. This would completely lessen my opinion of you. :(

Stop biting.

Stop biting.

I'm not really biting, I'm just trying to show up Andy as the dirty Scottish scumbag that he is.

Unlike Kaney, who is awesome Scottish.