Olympic & Paralympic Games London 2012

Starvinho

Montoya's marking on that goal was... shoddy, to be kind. Obviously the once great footballing nation of Spain is crumbling all around us! Japan really working hard in all seriousness, slightly stereotypical but they're just pressing high and working hard, let's see if they can keep it up for the duration of the match. Thought Isco would be more influential for Spain than he has been, hasn't really seemed to be able to stamp any authority on the game yet.

Letter of the law says the red card was deserved too, last man and he fouled him so he had to go. I think it's Danny Mills on commentary, and if so it was Mills who was saying it should have only been a yellow card. Perhaps not a terrible foul of any sort but a red none the less. Although whether Japan would have traded that for a quick free kick and goal who knows.

Montoya's marking on that goal was... shoddy, to be kind. Obviously the once great footballing nation of Spain is crumbling all around us! Japan really working hard in all seriousness, slightly stereotypical but they're just pressing high and working hard, let's see if they can keep it up for the duration of the match. Thought Isco would be more influential for Spain than he has been, hasn't really seemed to be able to stamp any authority on the game yet.

Letter of the law says the red card was deserved too, last man and he fouled him so he had to go. I think it's Danny Mills on commentary, and if so it was Mills who was saying it should have only been a yellow card. Perhaps not a terrible foul of any sort but a red none the less. Although whether Japan would have traded that for a quick free kick and goal who knows.

Letter of the law also says that the red card needed to be dealt with, therefore no chance for the quick free-kick. Couldn't have had both, unfortunately for Japan.

No I know but that's what I mean. Even if it was a yellow it would have had to be dealt with, and had it been waved as play on then there's no guaranteeing they could have done what they did, just see it as an interesting proposition that a team seemed to prefer a goal with the team keeping 11 men on the pitch as opposed to having their opponents reduced to 10 and having a good, albeit not as good, goalscoring chance.

No I know but that's what I mean. Even if it was a yellow it would have had to be dealt with, and had it been waved as play on then there's no guaranteeing they could have done what they did, just see it as an interesting proposition that a team seemed to prefer a goal with the team keeping 11 men on the pitch as opposed to having their opponents reduced to 10 and having a good, albeit not as good, goalscoring chance.

That wasn't really aimed at you. It was just a rule I remembered, just like the one where you can't allow play-on when a red-card offence takes place, like you can do with a yellow card offence.

That wasn't really aimed at you. It was just a rule I remembered, just like the one where you can't allow play-on when a red-card offence takes place, like you can do with a yellow card offence.

Sure you can, otherwise you could just punch an opposition player as another player was about to score <_<

Sure you can, otherwise you could just punch an opposition player as another player was about to score <_<

It was answered in one of those newspaper 'You Are The Ref' things I read a short while ago. Play has to be stopped straight away for a red card offence.

It was answered in one of those newspaper 'You Are The Ref' things I read a short while ago. Play has to be stopped straight away for a red card offence.

So what happens in that situation then? Does the referee stop a goal scoring opportunity by stopping play to send the player off, or allow the player to get away with punching someone in the face?

So what happens in that situation then? Does the referee stop a goal scoring opportunity by stopping play to send the player off, or allow the player to get away with punching someone in the face?

Stop play to send the player off I guess.

If the incident wasn't spotted by the ref, but the linesman caught it, then the goal could be given, then a red card. That's the only way that would work, I think.

You can't let a player who just punched someone stay on the field. It'd be a foul wherever the guy got punched.

I suppose it depends whether or not you think a punch, fine and ridiculous ban is worth one goal or not. And as Liam says, if it wasn't seen, odds are the goal will probably end up standing and you'll get a red card if the linesman saw it, and if he didn't you'll get a retrospective red, a ban and a fine and will have done absolutely no good.

Anyways this has all got a bit off topic given it was about Danny Mills saying it should have only been a yellow. :shifty:

Fully deserved win for Japan these, can't believe they didn't add more towards the end of the second half. I don't want to take anything away from them but them being a good percentage through their season already will no doubt have helped them to a degree, especially towards the end when Nagai was still running and running and running whereas the Spanish players looked totally out of sync with each other, tired and out of practice - or some of them did. Like I say though I loathe to take anything away from Japan as they played brilliantly and deserved the win, some great performances from the likes of Sakai, Utso and the aforementioned Nagai. Hope they do well.