Football Manager 2012

Lineker

I feel the need to share the tale of my FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round tie against Hayes & Yeading...

BASINGSTOKE vs HAYES & YEADING

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

10 mins - HAYES GOAL: A corner kick is juggled by three men around the box, with Samba Kanouté finally tipping it over the goal line. 0-1

42 mins - BASINGSTOKE GOAL: Delano Sam-Yorke levels things up just before half-time with a well-taken (?!) 20 yarder to pick out the bottom corner. 1-1

53 mins - HAYES GOAL: Hayes restore their lead with Nathan Elder from 15 yards. 1-2

56 mins - Basingstoke captain Stuart Lake goes in two-footed to earn himself a straight red and reduce the home side to 10 men.

81 mins - BASINGSTOKE GOAL: Rice sends a ball down the right for Platt to run onto, and he whips the ball across from the byline for Sam-Yorke to stab home from close range. 2-2

Amazingstoke02.jpg

So Sam-Yorke converts Basingstoke's only two shots on target to win the 10 man team another chance. They have but three days to prepare themselves before they must travel up the M3 to Woking (*spits*), where H&Y are based.

HAYES & YEADING vs BASINGSTOKE

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round Replay

26 mins - BASINGSTOKE GOAL: Gasson heads a corner in at the near post to claim only his second goal for the club. 0-1

37 mins - BASINGSTOKE GOAL: Sam-Yorke takes the ball round Kanouté and holds off Nicholas to dribble into the area and double his team's lead from 12 yards. That's his 10th goal of the season, and 5th in the FA Cup. The fuck? 0-2

63 mins - HAYES GOAL: Pacquette plays the ball through to Elder behind the Basingstoke defence and he makes no mistake from the edge of the box. 1-2

71 mins - HAYES GOAL: Soares shows great composure to chest down Bayley's cross and slice the ball home. Basingstoke's lead has crumbled to nothing. 2-2

80 mins - HAYES GOAL: Complete reversal. Substitute Pierre Joseph-Dubois steps up to a free kick from inside the 'D' and picks out the top-right corner. 3-2

85 mins - BASINGSTOKE GOAL: Much like in the first match, they have another saving equaliser in the dying minutes. This time Ross Adams converts Warner's corner kick with his head. That's his first goal for the club, too. 3-3

EXTRA TIME

99 mins - HAYES GOAL: Joseph-Dubois gets ahead of Gasson at the near post to head in the corner kick and put the home side back in front. 4-3

117 mins - PENALTY TO BASINGSTOKE

118 mins - BASINGSTOKE GOAL: Unbelievable Jeff. Andre Blackman hauls down David Pratt just inside the area. It's only a yellow card, but Robbie Rice blasts the penalty kick in off the crossbar. Another great escape! 4-4

PENALTY SHOOTOUT

- Kanouté's shot is saved by Ashley Bayes! 0-0

- Rice, who scored from the spot moments earlier, hits the post! 0-0

- Joseph-Pierre scores for Hayes. 1-0

- Little scores for Basingstoke. 1-1

- Pacquette scores for Hayes. 2-1

- Warner scores for Basingstoke. 2-2

- Blackman's shot bounces down off the crossbar and stays out! 2-2

- Sam-Yorke scores for Basingstoke. 2-3

- Osei-Tutu scores for Hayes. 3-3

- Pratt can win the game for Basingstoke...and does so! They win the shootout 4-3!

Amazingstoke03.jpg

(H)

• Like 1

I've decided to play real football as B'stoke manager. 4-2-3-1 with short passing and Lake as a ball playing defender. My first game with this new system reaped a 5-1 away victory against Dartford.

Pfft real football is hoofing it in the area and kicking the other team of the pitch

• Like 1

After posting earlier about how his career had taken a funny turn. I have signed Darron Gibson on a free transfer after he reduced his wage demands.

I think I'm going to get involved with these lower league teams, there's something unrewarding about that moment when your team starts winning a lot of games. I spent a season turning around Villa, invested 40 million in the summer and now seem to have turned the corner but now I'm losing interest as a consequence of my improving success.

Guest mr. potato head

Weird glitch: Opposing player makes an ugly challenge and injures himself on the play. Ref calls him over, but medic comes out walks him over to the other end of the field, treats him, finally makes his way to the ref after more than two minutes of nothing happening because the ref's waiting for him to come over for his booking.

Guest mr. potato head

Also, there's something tremendously squeal-worthy about finding your rivals about to snap up a player who did well for you in a previous game and snatching him from under their noses. You're mine, Will Hatfield!

I just had a player I signed ask to leave because he hadn't been getting any first team opportunities, in pre-season! I got rid of him pretty quickly.

I think I've bolstered the team. The midfield now looks particularly strong and the defense is stronger than it had been. Knowing my luck it'll be awful though. :shifty: