Hamster's top 15 PS3 games

No, Cloudys right, Raiden kicked ass in MGS4. I don't care how much of a whiney shit he was, dude became a Cyborg Ninja. That's +70 awesome right there. The fact his lines were reduced and that he wasn't the attempted replacement for Snake any more was just the icing on the cake.

Saying that, I'm going to be sad when the new MGS doesn't feature Snake in any capacity and probably has a lot less sneaking with Raiden as the new lead. But on the plus side, the sword chopping stuff looks freakin' awesome. Hopefully it's for more than just the final part of the game this time. >_>

• Like 1

Considering the amount of crap I forgot between 1 and 4, I'd say so. Honestly though, if you want to play 4 then I'd say don't screw yourself our of an awesome game and a fairly good game in MGS3 and MGS2. Especially not when they're coming out as part of the HD Release series in November and considering how freaking great 3 is. At least play 3 before 4, not only will you get a great time out of it, but it'll be a good way to reintroduce yourself to the general control scheme. Like, I'd say it's the best in the series.

Funnily enough, I think you'd be more lost having not played 3, which is a prequel to... uh, most of the MGS series, I think. As opposed to 2, which is really the one before 4 in terms of canon. This is most likely due to only about 14 people understanding what the fuck happened at the end of MGS2.

The only thing that would have made MGS2's ending more random and convoluted was if Snake took off his body armor to reveal an nWo shirt underneath.

Heavy Rain

Heavy_Rain_Cover_Art.jpg

I'll admit that this probably wasn't as good as the marketing team were making it out to be....But if it was as good as they were making it out to be then it wouldn't just be the best game in history, it would also be the best THING in history.

Heavy Rain tells a fantastic story and it tells it really well. In fact I remember that I was spoilering it on EWB as I played through and could list 20 or 30 moments in the game that made me stressed, emotional or mark out at something. Very few games squeeze that amount of emotion in.

I'm not going in to the plot too much in case there's anyone who hasn't played it, but Heavy Rain starts slowly before cunningly dragging you deeper into the story as you invest more and more emotion into it. The stories of the characters converge well, swerves hold actual weight and Heavy Rain manages to be a thriller, horror and redemption tale all in one.

It's the best experience game there is, tells a legitimately excellent story and captures your emotions. I was dragged into feeling like Ethan from the first scenes onward (Shaun staying over at your apartment was just heart-wrecking) and it just built from there.

heavy-rain-ethan-and-madison2.jpg

heavy-rain-screenshot.jpg

JAYYYYYYYYYYYY-SUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• Like 2

Heavy Rain was a true masterpiece and one of the most gripping experiences in gaming. The fight scenes were so perfectly scripted and visceral that if they were done in any other way except QTE format it would have taken away from the game.

Mass Effect 2

MassEffect2_cover.PNG

Except for taking a much-required week off from playing it (grrrrr, annoying hovercar mission) I could NOT put Mass Effect 2 down until I'd finished it. I started playing it at just the right time after a rediscovery of decent sci-fi writings (Peter F. Hamilton) and TV (Farscape). The overarching story is fantastic, the characters as fleshed out and 3D as you could want and the missions and gameplay is excellent. From that opening prologue (in all the epicness that it exuded) it just gets better and better. Shepard is a perfect protagonist and the game should be praised for allowing you to shape him as you see fit (at least to a point). The settings of the missions are great and the universe is huuuuuge.

It's funny when you think that there are only 4 or 5 missions that you'd NEED to do to complete the game but it's all about the crew, building relationships, getting their loyalty and doing all the extra bits and pieces. It's a testament to the game that everyone has a favourite crew member (mine's either Jack, Thane or Garrus) and they are all different in combat as well as pulling at a different part of your emotions.

Put bluntly, the game is just so well crafted (despite a few side missions that are easily skipped) and just so.....well EPIC. Roll on Mass Effect 3 'cos if it's only on a par with Mass Effect 2 then it's gonna be one of the best games of the generation. If it's better then well........Bloody hell.

arrival.jpg

mass-effect-2-release-date-ps3.jpg

I picked up Mirror's Edge and Uncharted today for cheap because of this thread. They better not suck, Hammy, or I'm coming for you. <_<

Also, I've yet to try Mass Effect 2 because I was so bored with the original. How much better is it?

Got sucked in heavy by ME1 and loved it to death, but ME2 blew it so far out of the water it looks abysmal in comparison. Like, I still love it but my God did 2 step things up.

Kinda like Assassin's Creed 2 did after AC1.

• Like 1

I love Wet myself. I didn't notice any glitches (certainly no gamebreaking ones) and the car riding scenes- while visually awesome- were annoyingly hard, and I would have liked a little more variety especially in animations (How may whiskey bottles does she consume and break in the EXACT SAME WAY?), the presentation and atmosphere of the game as well as the storyline made it a blast to play. The Blood Rage scenes, and the battle in the Opera House against the crazy Riot Girl triad were excessively fun, and the game's use of visual effects, old-school theatre placards and adverts, and a totally bitchin punk soundtrack ("She's Lost Control" and "As We Ride" being my personal favorites) make it something I'll still play now and then.