Liam

What should I watch?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What should I watch tomorrow?

• Submarine
    • The A-Team
    • Akira
    • Ed Wood

Of that list, these are the movies you absolutely need to find time to check out:

American Gangster

Dr Strangelove

Let The Right One In

Evil Dead 1 and 2

Paris Je T'aime

Citizen Kane

The Watchmen

A Serious Man

The Girl Who Played With Fire (I'm guessing you already saw Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?)

Gone Baby Gone

District 9

Inception

The Hurt Locker

Blade Runner

Inglourious Basterds

RocknRolla

Full Metal Jacket

Pineapple Express

American History X

If I was going to pick 5 movies you need to watch immediately? That's tough. How bout these five in no particular order?

1. Let The Right One In

2. Blade Runner

3. Citizen Kane

4. District 9

5. Gone By Gone

Those are 5 distinct, fantastic movies. But do check out the other ones soon after.

Yeah, I've seen The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

No love for 2001?

And is Pineapple Express that good/funny? Was going to be one I might watch early on, primarily to get it out of the way, but have heard some good things about it.

Out of some of the more 'classic' ones on there, think I'll end up tackling Blade Runner first, probably.

2001 is an experience. Personally, I think it's awesome but I can totally understand any hatred it gets.

But I also think any Kubrick film is a masterpiece.

I would recommend 2001, but I'm completely ashamed at the fact that if I was going to make a list of movies that I have bought and haven't watched like you did, it would be on my list.

And just for the record, True Romance over any film Tarantino has ever had any involvement in.

If you include True Romance with the rest of Tarantino's films, I'd rank it third after Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Fucking love that film. Though I probably wouldn't include it.

I dislike: Blade Runner, Full Metal Jacket, The Watchmen (except for penis on blue dude), Inception

Meh: Blues Brothers, Deja vu, Pineapple Express, American History X, Inception (if you like one of male bespoke clothing or architecture)

Liked: District 9, RocknRolla, Inception (if you like both male bespoke clothing and architecture)

Haven't seen the rest.

District 9 would be my pick though.

DVD

2001: A Space Odyssey

Dr Strangelove

Evil Dead

Evil Dead 2

Citizen kane

The Watchmen

Ed Wood

Predators

District 9

Inception

Blu-Rays

The Hurt Locker

Blade Runner

Inglorius Basterds

RocknRolla

Full Metal Jacket

Pineapple Express

American History X

Watch those. Watch all the Blu-Rays. Just for the experience. Basterds is heavily overrated. Hurt Locket and FMJ are AMAZING.

From the DVD's.. District 9, the Evil Dead's, Predators (just a good fun scifi/action film), Ed Wood and 2001 all need to be watched ASAP.

DVD

American Gangster

Into The Wild

Michael Clayton

Gone Baby Gone

District 9

Inception

Blu-Rays

The Hurt Locker

Inglorius Basterds

Full Metal Jacket

American History X

I'd especially look at Into the Wild, Gone Baby Gone and District 9. Big fan of all three of those.

• 5 months later...

So, instead of starting another thread, I thought I'd just re-use this. I'm going to post about my movie viewings, in a hope that this might inspire me to watch all the films I've got sitting there collecting dust.

So, for tonight, what do I watch? Three choices, all different, just give me something to comment on later.

11157065_det.jpg

Attack the Block: 6.5/10

Considering this film had came a little out of nowhere to get some pretty good reviews and was written by Joe Cornish, who I was a big fan of during his Adam and Joe phase, I expected a decent film. And that was what I got, but little else really. Firstly, I found it a little hard to get over how much the kids speak like the kids I currently teach in a South London school :shifty: At times they get the ludicrous nature of kids today spot on (one of my favourite bits being when the boys have no credit to phone for help), and also it works well as a view of how kids today probably would deal with an alien invasion ('aliens, yeah, lets go fuck them up, fam"), but I'm never 100% sure whether you are supposed to be rooting for the group by the end, or thinking that they are the knobs who had mugged a woman at the start of the film. At least in Four Lions, Chris Morris was able to get you feeling legitimately sorry for his terrorists, yet it doesn't really work as well in this film. Adding the fact that it rushes through a concept (OMG aliens attack, wait here's the solution, done, everything sorted), it just didn't hold my attention as much as it should have done. I feel that I would have enjoyed it more knowing little about it, but being as aware of it as I was, I was a little underwhelmed. Still, a decent film, and worth a watch.

As people already have done, you can vote for the next film I watch in the poll I've put up. As was pointed out to me last time, the films are vastly different.....but frankly, I don't often fancy anything in particular, so just vote for what you think is the most worthwhile film to watch.