Sports: Childhood versus now

Guest Mr. Potato Head

When I was younger I was all about V8 Supercars followed by Rugby League, Cricket, Hockey, Rugby Union and then every other sport with the American Sports starting to become blips on my radar.

Then all my favourite drivers retired or in the case of Ambrose got fucked over at every turn by league management so I haven't watched a full race of that since 2005, Some real life problems while playing Rugby League caused me to turn sour on it possibly forever, Played cricket for real and couldn't watch it on TV after that and fell out of love with rugby union even if I loved playing it.

Now it's American Football by quite a large margin, Followed by NASCAR, Hockey, MMA, Most other American Sports and then AFL that I was only dragged along to recently and I've gotten fairly into it as much as I used to hate it.

I haven't changed much. I was always into football but I'm much more into it now, and I follow tennis a fair bit more than I used to. I really like MMA but never watch it because I can't be fucked to stay up until like 5am and it's just not the same live. Cricket is the kind of thing I could potentially see myself getting into a bit more, but I don't have the motivation to watch it now and never have. I quite like darts. I'd watch NFL but again, there's the time difference. Basketball, baseball and ice hockey are all still shit. It's fair to say I'm a lot more interested in athletics and I'll watch it when it's on. Rugby has always been boring, golf even moreso. I used to watch F1 and MotoGP a fair bit because my dad was obsessed but I hardly see him these days so I don't really watch either - though there was a season about three or four years back I was quite into F1.

I used to be into football (soccer) in a major way. If I wasn't playing it then I was watching it or reading about it.

Now it bores the bejesus out of me.

In general I'm a lot less interested in sports that I used to be. I think part of the appeal when I was younger was "someday this could be me" but now I'm 24 I know that's not the case.

I still follow sports (mainly NFL, cricket and Formula 1) but NFL is the only sport I would consider myself to be "passionate" about. On that note...

BEAR DOWN!

Growing up, I never watched any sport except for the occasional hockey game. Once I hit 19, I just suddenly enjoyed watching hockey. Now I also watch baseball and MMA with the occasional football game thrown in.