General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Being frank, the only movie I liked more than The Irishman that I saw last year was Parasite, which should win Best Picture (but probably won't and will just get something major like Best Director instead). I watched it with my dad and barring one or two times we paused to go to the kitchen or bathroom, we had no problem getting through it in one sitting. There's just this dread to that movie that I love, this crushing inevitability not just of what's going to happen -- what has to happen -- but the absolute lack of romance or empathy towards the idea of being a gangster. Given how many movies Scorsese has made that at least for a portion of the movie glamorize the idea of being a criminal and living in the lap of luxury (as recently as Wolf of Wall Street), it was refreshing seeing what might (and should) be his final gangster movie be as utterly unromantic as possible. The acting is excellent, too, the best performance any of those leads have given in ages (though for Pesci, that's the only performance he's given in ages).

It was unbelievably, deliberately long (all those road trip scenes are pretty much just there to show how unremarkable these people are outside of what they're on their way to do) and that's not going to be for everyone. But it was extremely for me.

• Like 4

I don't think there's any way the director award does not go to either Marty or Tarantino. Both their films and the media follow-up to them are the exact kind of shit other directors love. Wouldn't be surprised if most of them think that Tarantino should get one because all the big American directors should. 

I keep forgetting Tarantino hasn't won Director yet and if he actually sticks to his word they're running out of shots to give it to him. That definitely has an air of Cumulative Work Oscar to it.

Watched "My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?" on Saturday. A 2009 Werner Herzog film that was Executive Produced by David Lynch. It was great! It was surreal and darkly funny. It reminder me a little of Herzog's Stroszek.

It has Michael Shannon, Willem Defoe, Grace Zabriskie, Udo Keir and also Batista in a very small role!

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 22:59, Jericode said:

1917 was bloody excellent. 

I'm banking on this. I did the usual thing of booking a cinema ticket on a day where I was feeling great, and now on the day itself I feel like I just want to go home and cocoon myself in a duvet.

Obviously WW1 drama isn't exactly the best prescription for such a mood, but we'll see how it goes. :shifty: 

11 hours ago, stokeriño said:

So, yes. 1917 is a fucking masterpiece.

To expand on this: setting aside the actual content of the film, the way it was shot left me absolutely dumbfounded.

Like, 2 minutes in I thought "this is quite a long continuous shot"...and then it got ridiculous. I know that computer editing will have been used to transition between takes (playing 'spot the cut' is fun in a nerdy way), but so far as it is presented, there is ONE cut in the whole film (and that's when a guy blacks out). ONE. :o

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

To expand on this: setting aside the actual content of the film, the way it was shot left me absolutely dumbfounded.

Like, 2 minutes in I thought "this is quite a long continuous shot"...and then it got ridiculous. I know that computer editing will have been used to transition between takes (playing 'spot the cut' is fun in a nerdy way), but so far as it is presented, there is ONE cut in the whole film (and that's when a guy blacks out). ONE. :o

They did it all in one take