Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

On 28/07/2024 at 12:27, METALMAN said:

I love tribute bands and I think they're massively underrated. The majority of tribute bands I've seen did a better job than the band they're paying tribute to (who are often old/lazy) for a fraction of the price and you don't have to wait in queues in a stadium for ages.

We have an entire tribute festival in Nottingham and one year I really need to go because the lineups always look so fun.

• Like 1

Reading Friday was ace. Got in late (got to love British Rail) but managed to catch latter half of Neck Deep (generally like them, they were solid), Spiritbox (knew a couple of tracks, technically great, but completely down the river in terms of crowd, should have been on a smaller stage, or main stage at a more rock/metal festival, lead singer tried her best but was a bit out of her element, which was a shame because with the right crowd they could have been a real highlight), Two Door Cinema Club (again knew a couple of tracks, but they absolutely made a new fan of me because they killed it), Gerry Cinnamon (even better live than my high expectations, if the headliner hadn't been my all-time favourite band, he would have been worth it alone), and blink-182 who - being my favourite band along with Feeder - was a lifetime goal fulfilled and were every bit as entertaining, crass, crowd engaging and musically solid as I'd ever hoped.

Managed to meet up with @Stevie B whilst there for the blink set and we made some temporary fest friends who made it even more fun. Met a LOT of randoms and had a lot of fun. If you'd have told me 10 years ago I'd be going to festivals -let alone by myself - I'd have said you'd got the wrong person.

• Like 1

All this Oasis talk has reminded me I finally saw Suede for the first a few weeks back (bizarrely having seen the Anderson/Butler reformation The Tears at a festival yonks ago), in a field outside a stately home near Cambridge. I got cheap NHS tickets, and it was weirdly quiet (there were probably a few thousand there but the site was huge) to the point you could walk to within a few rows of the front without any effort mainly because half the crowd were in deckchairs further back.

They were good, but it enforced the fact that I want to somehow see Suede in 1993 not 2024. Johnny Marr was really good in support though, he seems really happy to have reclaimed all The Smiths stuff and sounds far better than you'd expect.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Fucked Up on Saturday. What a delight. I have listened to them a few times but they were a great live band.

Charli XCX and Troye Sivan tonight. 

• Like 1