Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

On 24/05/2024 at 12:51, K said:

shit i bet that was awesome.

It was, wasn't a huge gig, maybe because it was a Thursday. Great energy though, and they played a great set. 

Coming up we have tickets for Sloppy Seconds/The Queers, Fear/D.O.A. (!!!), William Elliot Whitmore (taking the kids, playing at a venue I've played so thats exciting), and Sisters of Mercy. 

Billy Bragg and KMFDM are coming in October and I'd like to see both but probably wont. I've seen Billy Bragg, he's a lot of fun live. If my wife is very interested in KMFDM I'd like to go, especially since I'm on a roll of seeing electronic/industrial acts this year.

On 25/05/2024 at 19:33, GoGo Yubari said:

Neil Young & Crazy Horse in late July (at the big outdoor venue in central WA that I've never gone to)

Cancelled! Fuck! Apparently they're ending the whole tour early due to some illnesses within the band and boy I hope it's not too serious and they can reschedule for next year. The fact that it's the whole thing and not just whatever's in the upcoming couple weeks is really concerning.

Meanwhile, I did a Google search on Heavenly and found out they're playing Seattle in October and I managed to grab a ticket for that. Could have never guessed I was going to be able to see both Camera Obscura and Heavenly live this year.

Oh that's so sad! I saw them in 2013 (which is crazy because my mindset at the time was very much "I need to see these people before they die" yet they're still going) and it was a great show.

I'm going to see Janelle Monae tonight which will hopefully be nice. I imagine it will be heavy on the last album which on the one hand is a shame because it's my least favourite of hers but also fine because I do still like it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, METALMAN said:

I'm going to see Janelle Monae tonight which will hopefully be nice. I imagine it will be heavy on the last album which on the one hand is a shame because it's my least favourite of hers but also fine because I do still like it.

Her last album was quite short, so I imagine she'll have to fill it out with stuff from her other albums. I'm extremely jealous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, METALMAN said:

Oh that's so sad! I saw them in 2013 (which is crazy because my mindset at the time was very much "I need to see these people before they die" yet they're still going) and it was a great show.

Yeah, I saw Neil by himself on what seemed like a pretty last-second "I'm just going to go up and down the west coast and play some deep cuts by myself" tour last summer and it was probably the most special-feeling concert I've been to in the last couple years. I was really excited to see him with the band, but alas.

IIRC I think Janelle will probably play the whole last album and then the big songs from the first three. That's what she did for Dirty Computer when I saw her on that tour. Both times I saw her live she was great, I think she's kept the same touring band the whole time and they're all really good.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/05/2024 at 19:33, GoGo Yubari said:

Blondie in late August

also cancelled!!! What a bummer!

Picked up tickets to see Alvvays and The Beths instead, which I thought were really overpriced on face value but now a resale has them down to just slightly overpriced and I know I'd kick myself if I didn't go see The Beths while they're still touring Expert in a Dying Field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoGo Yubari said:

also cancelled!!! What a bummer!

Picked up tickets to see Alvvays and The Beths instead, which I thought were really overpriced on face value but now a resale has them down to just slightly overpriced and I know I'd kick myself if I didn't go see The Beths while they're still touring Expert in a Dying Field.

I saw alvvays a few days ago. I liked it. It's 100% not my style but it was nice.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've seen them once before and they were pretty good! It was a weird one though, as they were opening for The Strokes and it was basically three days before the pandemic fully shut down everything. Haven't seen them since they released Blue Rev so that should be fun.

The Beths are the big one for me, though. Basically every time they've played Seattle in the last two years it's either been sold out or prohibitively expensive to go just to see them.

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Haven't seen them since they released Blue Rev so that should be fun.

It hits harder live. That breakdown on After the Earthquake is mind blowing. 

• Like 1

Had my last one of unmarried life last night, Frank Turner for the 8th time. Might be the best show I've seen him do yet. Three month break now after a busy July before a November run of Sum 41, Yellowcard, and Sleep Token.

Oh, and The Meffs were ace as support too, check em out.

• Like 3

I saw them very recently (as in earlier this month) and it was disappointing. Much less energy than back in 2019 the last time I saw them. 

Ultimately if you don't care for them you'd probably not care much about them either way but anyway, yeah, disappointed.

3 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Enter Shikari are playing in my town and someone got me a ticket. I don't really like them, but the novelty of seeing a reasonably large act in my neck of the woods is somewhat appealing.

On 23/07/2024 at 17:50, Bobfoc said:

Enter Shikari are playing in my town and someone got me a ticket. I don't really like them, but the novelty of seeing a reasonably large act in my neck of the woods is somewhat appealing.

It's certainly one of the stranger stops on the list, although I'm not as familiar with a couple of the other contenders as places.

On 23/07/2024 at 17:40, Roster Depth Sicko No. 2 said:

Had my last one of unmarried life last night, Frank Turner for the 8th time. Might be the best show I've seen him do yet. Three month break now after a busy July before a November run of Sum 41, Yellowcard, and Sleep Token.

Oh, and The Meffs were ace as support too, check em out.

Rather disappointed that the Norwich stop sold out before I got my hands on a ticket. I don't think I even realised that The Meffs were supporting as a result, which is a shame because I enjoyed seeing them on the NOFX show after Slam Dunk South last year.

That November run looks awesome!

• Like 1

There was a tribute band festival in Stockholm this weekend. I saw tribute acts for The Doors, Queen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses and Metallica. It was actually banging. The festival was free entry, I snuck a whisky bottle in with me. Just vibed out. Such a good time. 

I love tribute bands and I think they're massively underrated. The majority of tribute bands I've seen did a better job than the band they're paying tribute to (who are often old/lazy) for a fraction of the price and you don't have to wait in queues in a stadium for ages.

41 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

I love tribute bands and I think they're massively underrated. The majority of tribute bands I've seen did a better job than the band they're paying tribute to (who are often old/lazy) for a fraction of the price and you don't have to wait in queues in a stadium for ages.

yeah i was saying this last night. I've seen Guns N Roses twice, and I was miles away, and the band was minimum two hours late, and I'm pretty sure I remember Axl having a hissy fit at one of them, and the sound was awful. I also remember that it was the first gig I'd ever paid over £50 for. (It was a long time ago). Being burned twice, I won't ever pay to see Guns N Roses again, but last night I was front row for Destructed Appetite, it was free to get in, and all people really wanna do is sing along to Mr Brownstone, it was class. 

On 23/07/2024 at 17:40, Roster Depth Sicko No. 2 said:

November run of Sum 41, Yellowcard, and Sleep Token.

I've now added The Vaccines the day after Sum 41 because I apparently need to make up for those three quiet months. I've seen them do a couple of festivals but never their own show so looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...