The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Guest mr. potato head

Yakupov, Forsburg, Grigs, Gally, or Murray

And if Burke decides to get cute and takes Faksa or somebody not on this list, I'm burning the Hall of Fame to the ground.

Hey, Faksa's good. Not fifth-overall-in-this-draft-class good, but it's amazing how quickly he improved during his first year in OHL. I thought Robert Reichel was the best-case-scenario at the start of the year, now it's the low end of his projections.

I've heard good things about Faksa (similar to David Backes)...and I'd like someone like that on the team (although, having a Darcy Tucker-lite in Ross might work too).

And if Burke trades up into the top ten or down into the top ten, sure. But when he has a choice between whoever's left of Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Murray and Forsberg - five players who have been considered contenders for going first overall - and decides he's going to pick somebody else, then we've got a problem.

Guest mr. potato head

I'm really concerned about Galchenyuk being overrated. Playing on a line with Yakupov will make anyone look good. If the Leafs can somehow get Forsberg, they should be really happy. Grigorenko doesn't look half-bad either, and Murray's quite good but I'm not sure defence is the most pressing need.

The Leafs need a steady veteran to play on the second pairing with Liles or Gardiner. If Barrett Jackman can play the right side, he would be perfect.

Nothing is settled of course, but going in on Brad Stuart might have been a good option before SJ snagged his rights. I'd be surprised if Jackman can be wrangled out of St Louis.

All I've done today is read these. Offseason, yeah!

I love hearing Burke speak.

I could listen to Burke talk for four hours about the health benefits of bathing in orange juice and still be entertained.

I know, right? I prefer these one-on-one talks a lot more than press conferences though.

Burke's routine is starting to wear thin on me.

Which routine is that?

Also, your opinion is wrong :shifty:

I still believe in Burke.

Guest mr. potato head

I love hearing Burke speak.

I could listen to Burke talk for four hours about the health benefits of bathing in orange juice and still be entertained.

I know, right? I prefer these one-on-one talks a lot more than press conferences though.

As you should. Press conferences are full of questions for day-to-day "OMG WUTZ WRONG WITH OUR LEAFS BOYS?!?" stories. A one-on-one like this (and as c-heat said, Paikin's great at it) should be more interesting just by its very nature, because it has that undercurrent of "let's talk to an expert about the thing he's an expert about" rather than an undercurrent of "let's make this guy defend his job and his employees".

Guest mr. potato head

That's Hockey did a quick thing where they looked at the post-lockout drafts of each team and which picks have panned out and which haven't (based on what's actually been accomplished so picks from the last couple years were mostly ignored). For the Leafs, the best they could come up with were Kulemin and Rask. :lol:

I guess Burke deserves a bit longer of a leash given how little he had to work with when he came in.

And Grigorenko has dropped out of the top 10 in Bob McKenzie's rankings!