The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Not sure what you mean by "prospect" there, but agree with your analysis.

Sebastien Piche from Grand Rapids came along with the 1st rounder to Tampa. I'm guessing that's who tgwl is referring to.

Looking more closely at it, Quincey is RFA after this season and so I imagine it's possible that Detroit is contingency planning in the event that Lidstrom retires, Stuart leaves, or both. For now, they've 8 steady defensemen on a team that's had no trouble keeping pucks out of their net.

By prospect I meant "Sebastien Piche" who Detroit gave up with the 1st. And I call him a prospect at age 24 because he hasn't played an NHL game.

EDIT: C-heat beat me to it.

Edited by thisgamewelose

Guest mr. potato head

Ah. Apparently he was such an unimportant part of the deal that I wasn't even aware he was in it. :shifty:

Doesn't really change my opinion of the deal though.

It is interesting for Tampa. Either they've given up on the season or they just really wanted to get rid of Downie.

Guest mr. potato head

There's talk that Colorado wanted Quincey out as well.

That would make this a bit more palatable, but still, you don't trade (arguably) your best defenseman for a goon who can pick up a few points in a straight hockey trade, so you shouldn't do it in a "our problem player for your problem player" deal. I get that Colorado probably won't sneak into the playoffs, but they need to address defense in the off-season, even if it costs them a Stastny or O'Reilly.

Richards and Carter are reunited in LA as the Kings send Jack Johnson and a conditional 1st (2012 or '13, depending on how the Kings finish this season) to Columbus. Carter has to pass physical but otherwise it's done.

After Philly had to ship both those guys out because they were a cancer, it's crazy to think that someone decided to get them together again. Turning them loose on the strip is like the cherry on a stupid sundae.

There's talk that Colorado wanted Quincey out as well.

That would make this a bit more palatable, but still, you don't trade (arguably) your best defenseman for a goon who can pick up a few points in a straight hockey trade, so you shouldn't do it in a "our problem player for your problem player" deal. I get that Colorado probably won't sneak into the playoffs, but they need to address defense in the off-season, even if it costs them a Stastny or O'Reilly.

For reals? Barrie, Elliott, Siemens, the OBs, Wilson, EJ? That seems solid, and hopefully the OBs and Wilson become d-men 5 through 7 in that group.

Also LA is dumb for taking Carter. Howson is dumb for getting only JJ and a First in return. Everyone is dumb.

LA definitely gets something out of the deal since they need goals. Carter brings that and has proven chemistry with Richards, but they also get a potential two-headed dressing room monster and lose a big piece of their blueline, which looks suddenly thin compared to other would-be contenders. It's a toss up for now but I say advantage Columbus on paper. Carter didn't want to be there and wasn't going to pan out, hopefully Johnson comes with a good attitude.

Ugh, Burrows.

Guest mr. potato head

I wonder if this scuttles the Nash-for-Schenn (and presumably a lot more) rumour PPP was curious about.

Good hockey trade for both teams really. Carter's a proven difference-maker on the ice, but Columbus' system clearly wasn't set up for him to make that difference. Maybe Johnson will help them more. Definite worries about the LA dressing room though.

Also, Plubby, that defence corps you rhymed off sucks. :P

Wojtek Wolski to Florida Panthers, 2013 3rd Round Pick & Mike Vernace (minor leaguer) to New York Rangers

Wolski should be able to help Florida a bit, especially in the shootouts. Pretty even trade, but depending who the Rangers end up with from that 3rd round pick, it could go either way.