The Budweiser FA Cup

• Admin
Non-league Bashley Town have written to the Football Association requesting their FA Cup first-round qualifying match against Gosport Borough is replayed after a clear goal was missed by referee Ian Bull.

With the teams level at 2-2, Bashley 'scored' late on after James Stokoe struck from close range, but in frustration the Gosport keeper kicked the ball through the side netting.

And, having missed the ball going in, referee Bull then awarded a corner.

"We feel cheated," Bashley vice-chairman Tim Titheridge told BBC Sport.

The incident was also missed by the assistant referee and Bashley went on to lose 3-2 after extra time. It is a mistake Titheridge believes has cost them up to £10,000.

"We don't blame the referee for not seeing it, but we do blame the Gosport players for not owning up," he said.

Bashley have now written to the FA's competitions department requesting a replay of their replay.

"We have also written to Gosport asking them to write to the FA, but we do not expect anything to happen," he added.

Bull was being assessed during the game and was told of his error after the final whistle.

"He was horrified when the assessor told him he got it wrong," said Titheridge.

Titheridge added the assistant referee had been told of a hole in the side netting at half time but did nothing about it.

He added: "A number of Gosport players, management staff, supporters and officials admitted that a goal should have been given, expressed sympathy and some even apologised to members of our club."

Gosport manager Alex Pike told the Daily Echo: "I spoke to my players afterwards, of the 11 on the pitch, two thought it wasn't a goal, two didn't see anything and seven said it was a goal.

"The biggest clue for the referee was that all 11 Bashley players were celebrating a winning goal and only two of mine said the ball hadn't gone in. I have got a lot of sympathy for Bashley and thought they took it exceedingly well. I wouldn't have taken it as well as they did.

"If the boot had been on the other foot, I would have seriously considered whether I wanted to stay in football. It was a good reason to give up."

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
Southern League side Arlesey Town have been drawn away to 1987 winners Coventry in the FA Cup first round.

Portsmouth, victors four years ago, are at home to 1894 winners Notts County, while cash-strapped Hereford host ex-boss Graham Turner's Shrewsbury.

Isthmian League side Metropolitan Police are at home to Crawley Town, Hendon are at Aldershot and Hastings are away to Bishop's Stortford.

Cambridge City are at home to MK Dons with all ties on 3 and 4 November.

Yate Town of the Southern League Division One South & West would face a trip to Gloucestershire neighbours Cheltenham Town if they beat Newport County in their replay. They led 3-1 with two minutes to go in Saturday's fourth qualifying round tie.

An Essex derby is guaranteed with Colchester to visit the winners of the Chelmsford City-East Thurrock replay.

The draw in full:

FA Cup First Round

Kidderminster Harriers v Oldham Athletic
Hayes & Yeading or Boreham Wood v Brentford
Chelmsford City or East Thurrock v Colchester United
Metropolitan Police v Crawley Town
Luton Town v AFC Telford U or Nuneaton Town
Portsmouth v Notts County
Bishops Stortford v Hastings United
Fleetwood Town v Bromley
Forest Green Rovers or Dartford v Port Vale
Torquay United v Hyde or Harrogate T
AFC Bournemouth v Dagenham & Redbridge
Morecambe v Rochdale
Swindon Town v Macclesfield Town
Cambridge City v Milton Keynes Dons
Cheltenham Town v Yate Town or Newport County
Dorchester Town v Plymouth Argyle
Coventry City v Arlesey Town
York City v AFC Wimbledon
Bury v Exeter City
Chesterfield v Hartlepool United
Doncaster Rovers v Bradford Park Avenue
Gillingham v Scunthorpe United
Aldershot Town v Hendon
Lincoln City or FC Halifax Town v Walsall
Wrexham v Alfreton Town
Southend United v Stockport County
Crewe Alexandra v Wycombe Wanderers
Bristol Rovers v Sheffield United
Hereford United v Shrewsbury Town
Mansfield Town v Slough Town or Gosport Borough
Barnet v Oxford United
Rotherham United v Stevenage
AFC Fylde or Ilkeston Town v Accrington Stanley
Gloucester City v Leyton Orient
Burton Albion v Altrincham
Guiseley v Barrow
Northampton Town v Bradford City
Preston North End v Yeovil Town
Braintree Town v Tranmere Rovers
Carlisle United v Ebbsfleet United[/code]

Ties to be played over the weekend of 3rd November

• 2 weeks later...

Tranmere are top of League One so technically the best side currently in the tournament, so yeah. Plus they're away, and the TV always like to go to a match played at the ground of the minnows, which is probably why Coventry vs Arlesey isn't on. The only other 'big' side in the draw is Sheffield United and they're away at Bristol Rovers.

Anyway, I can't wait for this. Been years since I saw a non-league side play and we're at home to Bradford Park Avenue tomorrow :w00t:

FA CUP SECOND-ROUND DRAW

Harrogate Town v Hastings United

Coventry City v Morecambe/Rochdale

Cambridge City/MK Dons v York/AFC Wimbledon

Crawley Town v Chelmsford City

Fleetwood Town v Aldershot Town

Rotherham v Notts County

Cheltenham Town v Hereford

Guiseley/Barrow v Macclesfield

Accrington Stanley v Oxford United

Lincoln City/Walsall v Mansfield Town/Slough

Northampton/Bradford v Brentford

Luton/Nuneaton v Dorchester/Plymouth

Alfreton Town v Gloucester City/Leyton Orient

Oldham Athletic v Doncaster Rovers

Braintree Town/Tranmere v Chesterfield

Preston North End v Gillingham

Bury v Southend United

Sheffield United v Port Vale

Carlisle United v Bournemouth

Crewe v Burton/Altrincham

Ties to be played on the weekend of the 1/2 December.

It's the same as a couple years back, the second round draw brought up a potential MK vs Wimbledon tie but I think they both lost their replays. Hopefully we get to see it this time, and they have the sense to put it on TV.

AFC Wimbledon make a statement about the possible MK Dons game:

The club's stance on FA Cup draw

Following this afternoon’s FA Cup draw, AFC Wimbledon will visit either Cambridge City or Milton Keynes in the second round of the competition if we beat York City in a replay.

We wish to release the following statement about a potential second round tie at Milton Keynes, which would be played on the weekend of 1/2 December.

“AFC Wimbledon is a fan-owned club. We are proud of that fact and also that we returned to the Football League the proper way, rising through the football pyramid. While we would rather not have been drawn in this tie, like everything we do, we will approach this game in a professional manner if it happens. Therefore, we are committed to fulfilling this potential fixture on 1/2 December, in accordance with the rules of the competition.”

AFC Wimbledon make a statement about the possible MK Dons game:

The club's stance on FA Cup draw

Following this afternoon’s FA Cup draw, AFC Wimbledon will visit either Cambridge City or Milton Keynes in the second round of the competition if we beat York City in a replay.

We wish to release the following statement about a potential second round tie at Milton Keynes, which would be played on the weekend of 1/2 December.

“AFC Wimbledon is a fan-owned club. We are proud of that fact and also that we returned to the Football League the proper way, rising through the football pyramid. While we would rather not have been drawn in this tie, like everything we do, we will approach this game in a professional manner if it happens. Therefore, we are committed to fulfilling this potential fixture on 1/2 December, in accordance with the rules of the competition.”

They said the exact same thing last time this happened. If I remember rightly the draw was MK Dons vs Wimbledon/Wycombe and AFC lost their replay, but the game was televised anyway.

Wimbledon's attitude is odd. I know they have always gone about it in the fashion of acting like MK Dons don't exist, but it's just weird. I for one cannot wait for the day these sides finally meet because it is a fascinating story.

Also Kats, Harrogate vs Hastings and Luton/Nuneaton vs Dorchester added to Guiseley/Barrow vs Macclesfield means there will be at least three non-league sides in Round 3 (Y) . And I feel sorry for Hastings, looking for a plum tie in the 2nd Round and they instead have to go all the way north to Harrogate to play a side in the same league. All works out of course if they beat Harrogate then draw Man Utd in Round 3 of course :P