The Budweiser FA Cup

They've done their level best to fuck over just about everyone involved here haven't they?

Why the hell is Everton vs Liverpool, in London, a lunchtime kick-off? I can't watch it anyway as I don't have ESPN which pisses me off enough but now it also clashes with my travelling to the Rovers - Portsmouth match. Plus making all the fans travel down at stupid o clock seems a bit daft when, as has already been mentioned, the other match involves two London clubs.

And when has an F.A. Cup semi-final ever kicked off at 6pm!? I didn't really feel any sympathy for Chelsea moaninbg about having to play twice in three days (these are professional footballers after all it shouldn't be too difficult) but it seems extremely daft to have them play as late as possible on the Sunday with a potentially massive game two days later.

A combination of selfish authorities and television monopoly has lead to things like this. Chelsea wouldn't even be forced to play on the Sunday if the cost of Wembley meant the F.A. find it necessary to play the semi-finals there. They could have played both matches at neutral venues on the Saturday. But no, that's far too simple and fair isn't it.

• Admin

Well the FA have now said that the scheduling of the Liverpool and Everton semi-final on the Saturday was necessary anyway because of railway engineering works between the north west and London. They also said the clubs have requested not to play on the Sunday, an anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Yeah I read that just after I wrote that post, I suppose that's fair enough but the timing really sucks. And it doesn't stop my aggrievance about Wembley semi-finals being stupid :P. If they'd played the Mersey semi-final at Eastlands instead then railway engineering works wouldn't have an impact for instance.

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess he's fit. I had heard otherwise. Hopefully we won't have to bring him on... But it's hard to tell these days and it is a derby. :shifty:

Aside from flapping at a cross and getting sent off Doni (which wasn't fully his fault, it wasn't his intention to foul anyone it just happened) hasn't done much else wrong.

Yes, the day before the Hillsborough memorial, let's recall the goalie we wanted to get rid off 'cause he was laughing and rolling his eyes during one of the memorials a couple years back. Eugh, can't believe he's still on our books. <_<

It was an empty gesture that, in my opinion anyway, only served to add to the total ignorance of Davies. Of course it is hardly a bad thing if they did accept it because it's more money to a good cause, but I can see why they rejected it.

Heysal was the Juventus fans dying whereas Hillsborough is with Liverpool fans dying.

My dad was unfortunate to have went to both Heysal and Hillsborough, saying with Heysal even before the game it was a bad choice of stadium cause it was falling apart and that people were able to get into the ground through holes in the walls. It was that bad of a ground and with Hillsborough he went the year before in the stand where it happened and said he got lifted off his feet so refused to get a ticket if it was in that stand and got one to be seated elsewhere when the disaster happened.

The thing with Alan Davies is the death threats he's getting and stuff like that is sickening there is no excuse for that whatsoever from a minority of idiots that don't help. Everyone has a right to an opinion obviously but the tone he used in giving it wasn't exactly the right way to go about things that and when he said about Dalglish going "Nah not on the 15th" I'd like to see Davies go to 96 other peoples funerals like he did. I don't think the idea of him asking why do we refuse to play on the 15th isn't a bad question considering clubs play on days of other disasters but I had to agree with Stan Collymore that if a club doesn't want to play on the day of a tragedy then so what, end of the day its only a game of football.

But lets be honest though he wouldn't have even offered to pay the money if there wasn't an uproar about what he said. The fact that justice has not really been done for the 96 people who died (And its not just a Liverpool thing essentially its a Merseyside issue considering how many families here are split Red and Blue) and its still painful for those families that 23 years on they haven't been able to sense that they have achieved justice.

The club asks not to play on the anniversary of Hillsborough because the families of the 96 who died hold a remembrance service every year, and the club gives them Anfield as a location for it and it's also attended by players and staff. It's a request that's been accommodated by UEFA and the FA for the last 20 or so years. The club doesn't refuse to play on that date because of the incident itself, but requests not to because of the remembrance service that happens every year.

Heysel also happened on the 29th of May, by which point the season is usually over so it's not something that has ever really been an issue in terms of matches being organised for that date.

• Like 2

To be fair I've no issue with it, I've just always thought they'd be best playing a game sometimes just as a truly public way to commemorate it, similar to that Man Utd v City game a few years back, and a Merseyside derby would surely be a good time to do it? Even if it is in London. Their choice though, I'd hate to be the man at the FA who chooses to tell them otherwise...

The death threats are silly, but there's always nutters on Twitter, I just pretend they aren't there. Same as the Liverpool 'fans' who called Collymore a black cunt for not supporting Suarez.

I'd actually be inclined to agree that refusing to play on the anniversary is a bit pointless, and inconsistent with the manner in which other clubs who have suffered similar tragedies have reacted in such situations. But on the other hand, I'm not going to agree with Alan bloody Davies.

To be fair I've no issue with it, I've just always thought they'd be best playing a game sometimes just as a truly public way to commemorate it, similar to that Man Utd v City game a few years back, and a Merseyside derby would surely be a good time to do it? Even if it is in London. Their choice though, I'd hate to be the man at the FA who chooses to tell them otherwise...

I think if there wasn't the same level of anger over the perceived cover-up, and therefore the Justice campaign wasn't needed, there'd be far more openness to playing on that date if the situation called for it. As it is the remembrance service also doubles up as a public reminder of that as well as a simple service to commemorate the dead. But regardless, if people have chosen to grieve and remember their dead in a certain way, what business is it of anyone elses to tell them otherwise? It's a personal choice, Rangers agreeing to play on the anniversary of one disaster doesn't make Liverpool wrong for not wanting to play on April 15th, and Liverpool not wanting to play on that date doesn't make Rangers wrong either.

The really disappointing thing is that this shouldn't be an issue. If the FA weren't tied down to playing both semi-finals at Wembley to pay for the shambles of a stadium then both clubs could play on the Saturday, at sensible kick-off times and there'd be no need for Chelsea to be forced to play as close to a Champions League quarter-final.

There will be something before the game on Saturday no doubt.

I saw Davies retweeting every bit of hate he got over it. He always retweets insults he gets and comes off as a bit of a twat in general on Twitter. Davies was troll baiting, that doesn't justify death threats by any means but he's far too happy to feed the trolls by retweeting any negativity he gets.