The Carling Cup 2011/12 Thread

Starvinho

It's the same as the one Torres did earlier this season, only difference being actual contact with the ball. The problem is its near impossible for a referee to make that call on the pitch as it happens so quick, and if the review panel is getting it so wrong on 400 slow motion replays what chance does a ref have. Milijas and Kompany should've had their's overturned instantly, Johnson and Cabaye (from his 'tackle' on Spearing last week) should get bans.

I know its subjective, but Kompanys was a sliding challenge, from the side, where he hooked the ball away with the top of his foot. Only way Nani gets injured is if he's really unlucky enough to plant his foot exactly where Kompany eventually slides through too, but he had time to avoid that as Kompany was clearly going to be first to the ball. Milijas was fine, no argument required there.

Johnsons was a two footed lunge where he actually gets the ball with his studs, and Cabayes was a rather cowardly studs up block (I still love you, but don't do it again!). Reckless, and with intent to injure. If whoever reviews that can't tell the difference then the rule is a waste of time.

They really need to stop working off the blind logic that if both feet aren't on the ground you're out of control though, lest they outlaw overhead kicks, jumping for headers, and erm, running.

They really need to stop working off the blind logic that if both feet aren't on the ground you're out of control though, lest they outlaw overhead kicks, jumping for headers, and erm, running.

I've often wondered how players are allowed to do them, if you can get penalised for having your foot at roughly waist height as a player stoops to head the ball how on earth are you not done for swinging your foot around 6 feet in the air, often within quite close proximity to at least one opposing player. Damn lack of consistency...

It's definitely a red card. I'm not against clamping down on tackles like these and Kompany's. Two-footed challenges are always going to be dangerous and I'm all for protecting players on the pitch. Johnson's was twice as bad as Kompany's. If he cathces Lescott, then he'll probably break his ankle. Winning the ball isn't the issue, really.

It's a red card and I can't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Because some of us champion the way the match was played back in the olden days. I don't think it should be 'anything goes' but you can't base red cards what if's. It spoils the integrity of a game completely. I have to agree with most of the MOTD pundits on this and say I don't like red cards being handed out for things like that because if you are looking to play the ball and you are in control of the tackle, then it isn't always going to be reckless.

At the end of the day though, the most important thing is consistency so that the players know what to do. Very few people (not fans, pundits and the like) seem to think it was a red card for Kompany, so if people involved with the sport don't think it is, I think it's hard for fans to disagree. But the referee clearly thought otherwise so we need to hear an official sanction of what is a red card and what isn't.

For example, Nigel De Jong kicking (Iniesta was it?) in the chest was a red card all day for me, but Webb only gave a yellow. You could argue World Cup final all day, but does the importance of the match change the letter of the law?

I think there'll always be inconsistencies on the field though simply through human error (plus bottling decisions early doors, mentioning no blatant red not given to Luiz at SJP...), the problem is despite seemingly every man and his dog agreeing that Kompany shouldn't have gone the decision wasn't overturned by whatever panel reviews them.

It's a red card and I can't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Because some of us champion the way the match was played back in the olden days. I don't think it should be 'anything goes' but you can't base red cards what if's. It spoils the integrity of a game completely. I have to agree with most of the MOTD pundits on this and say I don't like red cards being handed out for things like that because if you are looking to play the ball and you are in control of the tackle, then it isn't always going to be reckless.

At the end of the day though, the most important thing is consistency so that the players know what to do. Very few people (not fans, pundits and the like) seem to think it was a red card for Kompany, so if people involved with the sport don't think it is, I think it's hard for fans to disagree. But the referee clearly thought otherwise so we need to hear an official sanction of what is a red card and what isn't.

For example, Nigel De Jong kicking (Iniesta was it?) in the chest was a red card all day for me, but Webb only gave a yellow. You could argue World Cup final all day, but does the importance of the match change the letter of the law?

Okay, it's a red card in today's day and age.

I don't know, that definitely looks to me like Rooney is trying a diving dropkick to the defenders knee. I don't think the fact that he made contact with the ball first should negate an obvious booking. Definitely a red in my opinion.