The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Having had a look back through the thread to figure out who the Blackburn fans I was trying to think of are (cmb[numbers] is one, I think Vamp is and maybe someone else), I found the league standing predictions that were put together toward the start of the thread. I'll bring them forward next weekend, try and put something together to see who got the closest.

I'm a terrible person. I like both West Ham and Liverpool. Being from America made it easy to like more than one side in the Prem. Always have been a West Ham fan, but really started to like Liverpool after watching the Semifinals of the Champions League when John Arne Riise's own goal doomed Lolerpool at the end of the first leg. That was heartbreaking.

It's hard to be all that doomed from a 1-1 draw in a first leg.

Though that own goal was pretty funny.

It was a crushing blow. Gave Chelsea a late away goal, and so late in the match, that's a pretty big hit to your morale. The second leg ended up going to extra time on away goals too. So it definitely had a huge impact.

...it also allows me to say they would've went to the Finals if not for that own goal :P

It's hard to be all that doomed from a 1-1 draw in a first leg.

Though that own goal was pretty funny.

It was a crushing blow. Gave Chelsea a late away goal, and so late in the match, that's a pretty big hit to your morale. The second leg ended up going to extra time on away goals too. So it definitely had a huge impact.

...it also allows me to say they would've went to the Finals if not for that own goal :P

Yeah, but...there's a difference between being doomed by a blow from which there is no way back (e.g. Barcelona seeking winning goal but get hit by 91st minute Torres goal in 2nd leg), and just failing because you spend the next 90+ minutes of a tie not being good enough.

If we're to say that an interlude of 2 weeks (or whatever it was) and 90 more minutes of game time wasn't long enough for Liverpool to overcome the disappointment and score one more goal than their opposition, then...such pansies as those wouldn't deserve to win anything anyway.

Trying to work out if everyones just going along with Gazz's obvious omission or whether they genuinely haven't noticed...

I see no obvious omission, every Prem club you'd want to support are there shifty.gif

Bahaha fair in, stoke. I still feel the own goal changed the tie a fair amount, but yeah, Liverpool still could've won it. I would love to go back and watch those two legs again, especially that second one. I remember the extra time being really wild. Was great to watch as a neutral, at the time.

Plus, I think Peter Crouch got sold that summer then too, which only furthered my ability to like Liverpool. I always have hated Crouch, despite the man being absolutely hilarious.

It's cos Spurs play attractive football.

If only we had a really prolific goalscorer we'd be dangerous. :(

This basically is it. They played the most exciting football so I found myself watching them more and more until it got to the point where I really cared if they won matches and where they finished.

Arsenal - Httk

Aston Villa - Summ, Steeb, Berober

Blackburn - RW, 9 to 5, Thrilla

Bolton -

Chelsea - Stoker

Everton - Thomas?

Fulham - Liam

Liverpool - DMarrio, Hbob, Nerf, rockbox, Pesci

Man City - Ryan, Clawson, Blaze

Man Utd - Baddar, Starvinho, Johnnyperfect

Newcastle - Gazz, Colly, Pepsi, General

Norwich - Delia Smith

QPR -

Stoke -

Swansea -

Spurs - Hammy, Lineker, Plubby, GoGo

WBA -

Wigan -

Wolves -

AnyoneButManchesterUnited - Matt

TheFuture and Mad Jack are also Utd I think.

Me to.

I was scared off posting regularly when I got verbally attacked for getting into an argument with johnny perfect. Granted I deserved it, because I was being a pissy negative little shit but when you make a first impression that horrible, it's hard to find the testicular fortitude to stick around and make a name for yourself. :blush:

I occasionally pop up in here though.

Sorry to double post but what is the general opinion on Chelsea fans?

Haven't come across a lot of them but those that I do, tend to strike me as some of the more knowledgeable, fair-minded & likeable fans on the internets.

Granted that's an opinion formed entirely by Sheepster on lordsofpain forums and stoke on here. :P

Add me to Liverpool fans, and as Adam said a casual part-time Donny Rovers fan, also a Bolton fan, as I used to live there. :shifty: