The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

I reckon it'll be third for Spurs by the end of today, but really looking forward to last home game of the season today. Win or lose its been an amazing season, and even if its a long shot a win actually wouldn't surprise me off the back of the last 8. Admittedly neither would a tonking, but should be fun anyway.

Don't want to go all Sky, and of course I'm swayed by Newcastles position, but I genuinely think this is one of the better ends to a Premiership. No winner yet, only one team relegated, the sheer mess of four still possible for the remaining two CL places, plus the Liverpool story in midtable with Everton and West Brom both having decent reasons to fight to finish above them. It's gonna be a nice Sunday!

• Admin

Both Newcastle and Manchester City are unchanged from their respective wins over Chelsea and Manchester United.

Newcastle: Krul, Perch, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez, Cisse, Ba.

Subs: Elliot, Gosling, Ryan Taylor, Marveaux, Shola Ameobi, Obertan, Ferguson.

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Lescott, Kompany, Clichy, Nasri, Toure Yaya, Barry, Silva, Aguero, Tevez.

Subs: Pantilimon, Richards, Milner, Dzeko, Johnson, Kolarov, de Jong.

Referee: Howard Webb (S Yorkshire)

If Chelsea do end up winning the CL then I really do want Arsenal to finish 4th. JUST for Wenger's reaction.

Of course you want Arsenal to finish 4th so its not you lot getting fucked off out the Champions League :P

Got a question regarding the if Chelsea win and don't finish 4th. What round do they enter in? Will they just go straight to the group stage, enter at the Best placed playoff qualifying round or at the very start of qualifying ala us in the 2005/2006 season playing T.N.S etc

I'd assume it's the best placed qualifying round.

Liverpool only started in round 1 cos the Welsh FA offered L'pool their spot iirc, and they've changed the rules since.

Edit: Oh, seems they enter at the Group Stage.

I just think it seems a bit weird that there is a possibility of all 4 English teams could enter straightaway at the group stage. I thought it would have meant 3rd would have had to go in the best placed playoff.

It is funny how confusing it all is now, it was so much simpler twenty year ago.

There was no rule in place at that time for what would happen in the Champions League winners didn't qualify for the year after, hence the issue with Liverpool winning. UEFA just naturally assumed to win the CL you'd have to be able to be in the top four or whatever in your country.

TNS probably recognised there was much more potential in getting the gate and TV revenue from the Liverpool matches and getting knocked out in all likelihood than playing some random Belgian/Danish club, not getting the TV or gate and getting knocked out anyway.

• Admin
Aston Villa welcome back Stephen Ireland following injury but are without Gabby Agbonlahor. Spurs retain the team that won 4-1 at Bolton in midweek, although Scott Parker is fit enough to return to the bench.

Bolton boss Owen Coyle sticks with the same team that lost 4-1 to Tottenham on Wednesday for the visit of West Bromwich Albion. The Baggies make two changes, with Marc-Antoine Fortune replacing hamstring injury victim Peter Odemwingie alongside Shane Long up front and Keith Andrews coming in for Jerome Thomas in a reshuffled midfield. James Morrison returns to the bench after six weeks out with a knee injury.

So there's one change for QPR in a game labelled by boss Mark Hughes as a "must-win". Moroccan midfielder Adel Taarabt replaces Djibril Cisse, who drops to the bench. Stoke make four switches from their 1-1 home draw against Everton, with Tuesday's goalscoring substitute Cameron Jerome promoted to the starting XI. Thomas Sorensen lines up in goal as Potters boss Tony Pulis looks to give the Danish international some match practice ahead of Euro 2012. Ricardo Fuller and Glenn Whelan also start in an attacking away line-up, which includes former Hoops striker Peter Crouch.

Fulham make one change from the team that beat Liverpool. Midfielder Mahamadou Diarra comes in for Alex Kacaniklic. Martin Jol returns to the dugout for the game against Sunderland after missing the trips to Everton and Liverpool with a chest infection. Sunderland make three changes after a 2-2 draw against Bolton. Keeper Simon Mignolet, midfielder Craig Gardner and striker Ji Dong-Won replace Craig Gordon, Fraizer Campbell and Nicklas Bendtner.

Terry Connor makes two alterations to the Wolves side that drew 4-4 at Swansea last time out, with Ronald Zubar and Stephen Hunt coming in for Kevin Foley and Matt Jarvis. Everton manager David Moyes makes one change to the team that drew 1-1 at Stoke in midweek, with James McFadden replacing the injured Victor Anichebe for just his second Premier League start of the campaign.

No full teams atm, sorry

Dempsey's been incredible this season. I really want to see him get a move to a Champions League team. While he's not the same exact type of player as him, I could see him as a great replacement for Dirk Kuyt since he seems to be leaving.