The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

I came in here to post about Kyle Walker signing a contract extension but that news pales in significant to Toby Craddock. Horrendous news, hopefully he makes a full and speedy recovery.

What a horrendous few months - Muamba, Morosini, Petrov, Cathcart, and now Jody Craddock's lad...

Horrible news. What happened to Cathcart?

In the tests that all the players took after the Muamba incident, they discovered has a slightly enlarged heart. They don't think it's anything too serious but he's going to be monitored for a while.

I totally missed that, haven't seen a thing on Cathcart :(. At least it was found though.

Brad Jones' son died of leukaemia earlier in the season as well, and Billy Sharp's son around the same time too. Plus Liam Miller's wife has just died. This season has been littered with personal tragedies.

Aye Lee Miller the former Middlesbrough player, now of Carlise. His wife died the other week of a brain tumour, leaves behind three children too. Was mentioned in a couple of posts over in the nPower football league thread.

Relegation scrapping moves off the pitch and into the streets of brummy!

Just seen it on BBC website, but can't believe that Rooney won best premier league goal. What a farce.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

Just re-thought it. I don't give a shit. I really don't care. Not the first bunch of lads to end up in an altercation. Not the last.

Delph's trying to close the door. Herd is clearly drunk AND pissed off over something that's happened in there and Collins is meant to be a trouble maker, but it looks like he's calm and also tries to close the door. Herd's the only whose lost his head, and I imagine he had a reason to. Oh well.

• Admin

Relegation scrapping moves off the pitch and into the streets of brummy!

Just seen it on BBC website, but can't believe that Rooney won best premier league goal. What a farce.

Manchester United and England striker Wayne Rooney has won the Premier League Goal of the 20 Seasons award for his overhead kick against Manchester City.

Several hundred thousand fans from all over the world voted for the award, which was created to celebrate the 20th season of the Premier League.

Rooney's spectacular strike in February 2011 received 26% of the vote.

Dennis Bergkamp was second for his 2002 goal at Newcastle, and Thierry Henry against Manchester United was third.

Bergkamp's flick, turn and finish at St James' Park polled 19% of the vote and Henry recorded 15% for his flick and volley at Highbury in 2000, but Rooney was crowned champion for his acrobatic effort in the Manchester derby at Old Trafford.

He follows another Manchester United player, David Beckham, who won the Goal of the 10 Seasons Award in 2002 for his audacious strike from the halfway line against Wimbledon.

"I grew up watching the Premier League so to be voted the best goal in the history of the Premier League is a great feeling," Rooney said.

"There's so many good goals in that shortlist, goals that I watched in my living room as a kid: Alan Shearer's goal, Paolo Di Canio's, Tony Yeboah's, David Beckham's.

"To be competing with them and winning is a great honour for me and something I'm very proud of. I'd like to say a big thank you to all the fans that voted for me."

lol, what guff.

My ballot was top-to-bottom Matt Le Tissier.

Mine too.

Rooney's is probably the least deserving on the entire list. Goes to show what a public vote can do.

Also, because I'm still up and trawling the 'net:

Swansea City's bid for Gylfi Sigurdsson bid rejected

Swansea City have had an initial bid to sign on-loan midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson rejected by Hoffenheim, BBC Sport Wales understands.

The Iceland international joined Swansea in January on loan from the German club until the end of the season .

The 22-year-old has impressed during his spell at the Liberty Stadium and has scored seven goals in 17 games.

It is believed the German club value the ex-Reading player at around £10m.

Sigurdsson said in April he would be happy to stay at Swansea beyond the end of the current season.

But Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins admitted the club will struggle to keep hold of the midfielder.

I hope he stays in the Premier League and preferably with Swansea but if he's going to cost £10 million or even close to that amount there's surely no way he's going to be staying with the Swans.

Edited by AdamDRFC

Bergkamp's goal agaisnt Newcastle will remain one of the best goals ever, certainly better than Rooney's if you ask me, however my favourite goal of his was to complete his hat-trick against Leicester City when he controlled the ball that came over his head, brought it down, turned and scored in the box - and then his goal against Argentina in the World Cup from the long ball will probably remain my favourite.

This season though, Van Persie's goal against Everton was my favourite and I'd say that was probably better than Rooney's as well. I understand the love for Rooney's goal, whether or not he 'shinned' it - he got into the right position and it did look spectacular, but not the best of the Premier League.

I think my love for Van Persie's goal against Everton pretty much stems from the fact that if I had started trying to recreate it the moment after he did it - even now I doubt I'd have done it, I probably wouldn't have connected with the ball either such was the precise technique he used.

Ah well, it's almost as if there are a lot of worldwide Man Utd fans voting for Rooney's purely based on that. How odd.

Birmingham Mail have video of #AVFC players in fight with bouncers after player-of-year dinner birminghammail.net/news/top-stori… via @Fourth_Official

Nice to see Villa players actually attack for a change... :shifty:

• Like 6

I think my love for Van Persie's goal against Everton pretty much stems from the fact that if I had started trying to recreate it the moment after he did it - even now I doubt I'd have done it, I probably wouldn't have connected with the ball either such was the precise technique he used.

Don't be too harsh on yourself. I'm sure you are every bit the player Van Persie is and more.

• Like 1

Former England manager Fabio Capello wants Premier League job

Fabio Capello wants "one more challenge" before retiring and is keen to take charge of a Premier League side.

The 65-year-old stood down as England manager in February and is now looking to get back into club management.

"I want one more challenge," Capello told the Times.

"England would be very interesting for me because I know very well the teams and the players, and everything would be less difficult."

Capello has already turned down offers from abroad, with the former AC Milan manager prepared to bide his time for the opportunity to manage a top English side to arrive.

The Italian appears to have narrowed down his options by suggesting his focus is solely on a club who are capable of challenging in the Champions League, as well as for the Premier League title.

"It has to be interesting based on the value of the team, not money. I don't work for money," he added. "I want to manage a team that wants to win something, if possible.

"I want to manage a team that is able to play in the Champions League and to fight for lots of trophies."

Meanwhile, Capello has backed the Football Association's decision to appoint Roy Hodgson as his successor.

He said: "I've known Roy since he was coaching in Italy and I have met him often in these last few years.

"I believe he is a very good and experienced manager and he is a very good choice for the England national team. I wish him all the best for the future and Euro 2012."

Oh God. Sounds like he's angling for the Chelsea job. Unless, I dunno, City sack Mancini or something silly.

Maybe it's safer for everyone if we don't qualify for next season's CL. :shifty: