The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

I don't think Smalling is completely to blame for that goal. Sure he lost his man, but at the same time, if De Gea hadn't decided to move off his line and behind a city player, he'd have been in the right place to save that header. Blame goes on both players for my liking, and Hansen was right about De Gea now being obsessed with coming out to collect the ball. Shame he never seems to reach it.

Yaya and Zabaleta had a storming game, but I've worried about Yaya's attitude in recent weeks. He seems to get riled up too easily and get himself close to getting carded for no reason. Asking for the card against Scholes was annoying, but it looked to me like he got his yellow for throwing the ball at the ground and not for the tackle.

De Jong's tackle wasn't THAT bad, he just did it poorly and deserved the card for it. If he'd got his legs out in front of him, he'd have won the ball and put it out for a throwing. Instead his leg never made it past Welbeck's and he kicked him. Twice >_>. Still, Nige is destined to get a yellow card in every match he plays so it's no wonder he comes on late to allow Yaya to storm forward.

His starting position was just back of centre, as it's supposed to be. As the ball came in, he took a couple of steps to his left and when Kompany headed the ball, he was half a yard off his line in the middle of the goal.

His starting position was just back of centre, as it's supposed to be. As the ball came in, he took a couple of steps to his left and when Kompany headed the ball, he was half a yard off his line in the middle of the goal.

He was stood off his line, behind a city player. MOTD did a great job of showing where he should be and that isn't stood off his line when a corner is being taken.

I'll admit that I haven't seen MOTD. But I did see several replays of the goal at the time and I've just checked it again on YouTube.

De Gea did come for a couple of corners in the match and got nowhere near them, however I haven't seen anything on the goal to convince me that it was his fault. As far as I'm concerned, Smalling could have done a bit better but even so, it was a great ball in and a fantastic header.

After all Neville said about Ferguson fearing losing the league on goal difference. It would be fun that was what ended up separating them.

Looks like we'll be playing 4-5-1/4-3-3

Doni, Kelly, Coates, Skrtel, Aurelio, Henderson, Spearing, Shelvey, Kuyt, Maxi, Carroll.

Bench= Sterling, Downing, Robinson, Enrique, Flanagan, Carragher, Jones

This is a big opportunity to grab places for the cup final on Saturday especially in regards as to whether Carroll/Suarez will start up front together, who will be playing on the wing in terms of Kuyt/Maxi/Downing/Henderson/Bellamy etc.

So I can see this team being rather motivated to try and force themselves into contention. Hopefully Sterling will get a run out at some point but I think while its not our strongest line up, I can see Maxi getting a goal tonight.

Weird, I hadn't copped that Doni was starting. Also a rare Aurelio sighting!

I appear to have only half read the squad. I can only see potential goals in Maxi an Kuyt. I would think Sterling will get about ten minutes. As long as that team is up for with the cup final coming up I would hope for a good result.

• Admin
Liverpool: Doni, Kelly, Coates, Skrtel, Aurelio, Henderson, Shelvey, Spearing, Maxi, Carroll, Kuyt.

Subs: Jones, Jose Enrique, Downing, Carragher, Sterling, Flanagan, Robinson.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, John Arne Riise, Duff, Murphy, Dembele, Kacaniklic, Dempsey, Pogrebnyak.

Subs: Stockdale, Baird, Orlando Sa, Kasami, Etuhu, Frei, Briggs.

Referee: Lee Probert (Wiltshire)

Liverpool clearly have the FA Cup in mind as only Jordan Henderson and Jonjo Shelvy remain from the Norwich win on Saturday. Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez are among those with a night off, while Andy Carroll, Maxi and Dirk Kuyt come into the side. Fulham make three changes from the defeat at Everton with former Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy returning alongside Stephen Kelly and Alex Kacaniklic.

Stoke: Begovic, Huth, Upson, Shawcross, Wilson, Walters, Whitehead, Delap, Etherington, Jones, Crouch.

Subs: Sorensen, Whelan, Fuller, Shotton, Jerome, Woodgate, Palacios.

Everton: Howard, Hibbert, Heitinga, Jagielka, Distin, Anichebe, Osman, Fellaini, Pienaar, Cahill, Jelavic.

Subs: Mucha, Stracqualursi, McFadden, Gueye, Barkley, Coleman, Duffy.

Referee: Anthony Taylor (Cheshire)

Matthew Upson, Rory Delap and Kenwyne Jones all come into the Stoke team following the 1-1 draw with Arsenal at the weekend. Neither Phil Neville and Darron Gibson are involved in Everton's squad after starting the 4-0 win over Fulham, with Tim Cahill and Victor Anichebe coming into the starting line-up.

Nice to see Riise back at Anfield. Great player for us, also interesting to note that Kacaniklic returns as well considering he was sent to Fulham as part of the Konchesky deal.