The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Great move by Cisse. Wonderful.

Also Rooney's overhead shin is shit. Roo's best ever goal was his rage shot against the Barcodes.

Can't believe people are still calling Rooney's overhead shit. If Messi or some other football bum-boy had scored it then it would've been called the best goal ever. It was a stunning goal, even if it did come off his shin. Try it the next time you play and I guarantee you'll fall on your arse. Even if you make contact you'll probably scuff it or balloon it a mile over/wide. I know this because I sepnt many a training session trying to perfect it and I probably scored only a handful throughout my life, never in a match though and nothing as spectacular as Rooney's. In my opinion it's the hardest skill in the game and that's why I rate the goal so much.

And this isn't just United bias, I've loved overhead kicks all my life and before Rooney's effort, this was my favourite;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q0ANjqm0YY

Or not. I think Rooney's a great player, but he didn't mean it. That's why I don't rate it super highly. It hit his shin and he got lucky. I have tried over head kicks, and I have scored with over head kicks. What is your point?

Sinclair's is miles better.

One of the best players I ever saw live (though I don't remember much about the games, I only saw him play once or twice when I was really young).

Edit: And whoever said Rooney's goal was shit? He got lucky but yes, it still takes a lot of skill to even get close to making the correct contact with the ball. It was not the greatest goal ever though, like Sky pundits were pretending it was.

We didn't lose 6-3 in the grey kit.

The grey kit was 95-96 and we lost 3-1 or 3-0 I think.

The 6-3 was in 96-97 just a week after the 5-0 vs Newcastle and we wore the blue and white stripes. Keane was sent off, Le Tissier chipped Schmeichel and their Norwegian striker got a hat trick.

I'd always thought it was 6-3 and in the grey kits, this video shows otherwise, weird.

From the FA Cup, but this is the best save ever.

Schmeichel's against Rapid Vienna is better

Aside from him getting it away so forcefully, the header was straight at him.

Seaman had to reach back, get it away from the line and the player in one go.

Seriously, no fucking argument.

Straight at him? Oh dear.

Getting it away from the goal is the save. It's not that he reached it, it's the fact that he managed to get it away from danger.

Maybe not straight at him, but he didn't dive across the goal like he had to in some of the ones listed on the Prems choices. He didn't have to move across the goal at all, really. He had to get down, which is a slightly different skill......and direction.

You are a Man United fan, aren't you? Just worth checking.

If anything, the header was close to him. This means that he had to get his feet out from underneath him to make the save.

Yes, I'm a United fan, Schmeichel's my hero and is the reason I'm a keeper myself but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it's the best save I've ever seen.

I love the logic that since my own overhead kicks are shit I have to accept Rooneys is the best goal ever. It's clearly not shit, but there's no way a shinner should be in there.

Best overhead is Pele in Escape to Victory. While injured!

I can't find the Nigel Martyn save I'm thinking of (tbh I think it was a UEFA cup game and thus not really relevant to the discussion) but he gets caught wrong footed, still manages to get down, make the save and flick the ball over the bar from inches above the goal line. It was phenomenal. A real shame that him and Seaman were around at the same time.

I was considering putting up a thread for people to vote, but I think it would be embarassingly one sided.

To put it into further perspective, I remember that Schemeichel save, so clearly people thought it was good, but I couldn't have told you against who, what teams, anything really more than that... even though I saw it. The Seaman one, I knew straight away what I was looking for. I even remember it was a Paul Peschisolido header, and I believe Arsenal were 1-0 up at the time.

EDIT: Is the Bergkamp goal the one where he flicks it past the defender? If so, I hate that goal.