The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Elsewhere, Grant Holt strengthens his claim for an England call-up with another goal, levelling against Everton, while Mahamadou Diarra grabs Fulham's third at Bolton.

Also Eric Cantona joins Manchester United. :shifty:

• Like 1

Villa defended well and Given made some great saves. But that game is the story of our season in terms of hitting the post multiple times and having a ridiculous amount of shots although there wasn't that many on target compared to the attempts and only getting a point out of it when we should have took all 3. One up front doesn't work for us and it showed in the second half when Carroll and Bellamy came on we looked a lot better.

Nice to see Agger back though.

• Admin
Stoke: Begovic, Shotton, Shawcross, Huth, Wilson, Pennant, Whelan, Whitehead, Etherington, Crouch, Walters.

Subs: Sorensen, Jones, Fuller, Upson, Delap, Jerome, Palacios.

Wolverhampton: Hennessey, Stearman, Zubar, Bassong, Ward, Kightly, Henry, Edwards, Jarvis, Ebanks-Blake, Fletcher.

Subs: de Vries, Johnson, Berra, Milijas, Davis, Doyle, Forde.

Referee: Mark Halsey (Lancashire)

Daglish made one mistake that perhaps cost him the game.. taking Downing off. Don't get me wrong. Downing is a cock and a wuss, but he was putting in good crosses.. they were begging for Carroll to get on the end.

I was a bit baffled by that change, I thought Henderson should have went off instead.

Also sorry for being a bit of a bellend before to you Summers btw, just really frustrated atm with us and just got a bit snappy.

I was a bit baffled by that change, I thought Henderson should have went off instead.

Also sorry for being a bit of a bellend before to you Summers btw, just really frustrated atm with us and just got a bit snappy.

Henderson off would have made more sense, he was a passenger anyway. Just seemed a good day for Carroll to be getting crosses. We're shit at defending corners, free kicks and balls high into the box in general. Downing was playing some good balls in that Carroll coulda worked with.

& don't worry. It's football. For 90 minutes we were enemies. S'all there is to it.

Daglish made one mistake that perhaps cost him the game.. taking Downing off. Don't get me wrong. Downing is a cock and a wuss, but he was putting in good crosses.. they were begging for Carroll to get on the end.

Downing's crosses look good when Carroll's not on the pitch because they're generally aimless, he just puts his foot through them and hopes for the best. When Carroll comes on he tries to place them, which is a problem because he's useless. I'm surprised the Villa fans spent the game booing him - £20m for a £5m player was a stunning bit of business, they should have been applauding every time he touched the ball.

Downing's crosses look good when Carroll's not on the pitch because they're generally aimless, he just puts his foot through them and hopes for the best. When Carroll comes on he tries to place them, which is a problem because he's useless. I'm surprised the Villa fans spent the game booing him - £20m for a £5m player was a stunning bit of business, they should have been applauding every time he touched the ball.

We used to chant "Thank you for McGrath" to United - and a lot of Villa fans on the forum were saying we shoulda sang "Thank you for the cash". We all know you massively overpaid, and he's booed for being a spineless liar, not for leaving.

But that's just part of football. If you know that it's going to get under their skin and make them play worse then fair play (because seriously, he's not going to get mad, hulk up and score five goals). Look at the abuse Carroll got, it pretty much made him try to get Krul sent off and ended up backfiring spectacularly, he then spent the next 60 minutes looking like a lost sheep on the verge of tears.