The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

• Admin
Liverpool's Jose Reina has been caught up in a race row after complaints that a television commercial he appears in is racist and homophobic.

Campaign group Operation Black Vote has complained to Spanish insurance firm Groupama Seguros about an advert in Spain featuring the goalkeeper.

They claim it "depicts black people in a jungle scenario as stupid, backward, animalistic homosexuals."

OBV say the advert has been pulled from Spanish TV since their complaint.

The advert played on Reina's surname, which means "queen" and shows the Spain international being introduced to a tribal chief who chooses him as his partner.

Campaigners claim that Groupama said it does not "contain either offensive or any discriminatory content".

OBV director Simon Woolley said: "I'm shocked on so many levels.

"Firstly, how would the Spanish feel if the English stereotyped Spanish people as backward, stupid, and animalistic homosexuals?

"Secondly, what does this say about Pepe Reina?

"The Liverpool goalkeeper has lived and worked in the UK for nearly a decade, does he think it's okay characterise black people this way?

"Does he think his black team-mates will laugh at his joke?"

Reina, 29, joined Liverpool from Liverpool in 2005 and helped them to win the Carling Cup against on Sunday.

Liverpool have already been involved in one race storm this season after striker Luis Suarez was banned for eight matches for abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.

The advert played on Reina's surname, which means "queen" and shows the Spain international being introduced to a tribal chief who chooses him as his partner.

I'm assuming that part.

I'm with NBT on this one. It's grasping at straws to try and keep this Liverpool and racism story going using what appears to be Spain's answer to the 'Go Compare' adverts.

Going to be supporting United this weekend.

May have to irradiate my soul afterwards.

But before that, Stokerino and Stokerina take a husband/wife trip to The Hawthorns. We can only hope it's less disastrous than her last away match was at Loftus Road...

I love how Pepe is always wearing his kit laugh.gif

Anyway, why are we focusing on the black people? They are stereotyping old women as dangerous drivers, this is an outrage.

Spanish adverts are horrible, they only ever seem to have 10 on a permenant loop, I seen the same ones so many bloody times, on a plus side one of their songs is stuck in my head, so I guess they work... really must buy some medical insurance...

I think its deflecting attention from the real issue, how awful is that Figo Just for Men advert?

And yep, I will be watching Clarke Carlisle on Question Time, because I love him.

Talking about footballers in awful adverts made me remember the old Ian Wright in the Chicken Tonight adverts. That and the Wii adverts with Jamie and Harry Redknapp playing Super Smash Bros.

I think its deflecting attention from the real issue, how awful is that Figo Just for Men advert?

And yep, I will be watching Clarke Carlisle on Question Time, because I love him.

The best part about that advert is that it sounds like it was badly translated into English.