The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Wasn't Lauren their first choice right back during that season?

Anyway, anyone using the argument that 'well, it was George Graham's side anyway...' to try and explain his earlier success is full of shit. Did they ever look like having that kind of success under Graham? No, so it wasn't his side, it was just a collection of players he couldn't get the best out of that Wenger could.

I'm not calling him a bad manager - he's a great manager. But for that club to progress they need fresh impetus at the very top.

There's also the argument which I've heard that part of Wenger's success was achieved using George Graham's backline.

Did someone watch Football Focus yesterday? :P

Yeh Wenger is a great manager, one of the best the country has seen but Arsenal really need a new face to mix things up. It's not that the fans hate him but I get the feeling when talking to my mate and from reading about that its time for a change. It always comes at some bit I mean not many managers can stay at one club for ages except for like Fergie and Wenger but Man.Utd haven't not done anything for the past few seasons whereas Arsenal have and have declined along with us and to some extent Chelsea who are in a transition period while teams like Man.City and Tottenham have vastly improved.

A new manager could spark some life into Arsenal because at times this season they have been really really poor. If they don't get top 4 this season I really wouldn't be shocked to see RVP fuck off abroad because lets be honest that is the only reason he has stayed at Arsenal is because they keep getting Champions League football.

Arsenal would've had far more success if Arsene hadn't sold Christopher Wreh.

He was the key to total footballing domination.

Pascal Cygan was a bit of a running joke/legend with me and my brother around the time, with randomly swapped footie stickers appearing in hiding places on cars etc, culminating in every player in Arsenals team on Pro Evo having his face and lack of hair. King of the bics!

Just finished watching the 2004/2005 season review from when we last won something. Seems like forever ago, especially that game against Boro when we were 3-1 down and won 5-3. Magic.

That team, Lehmann, Lauren, Campbell, Toure, Cole, Ljungberg, Gilberto, Vieira, Pires, Henry, Bergkamp. Not to mention Edu, Reyes and van Persie. That was a fucking squad of players right there.

It's nice to remember the good old days.

• Admin

Alan Curbishley has pulled out of the running to succeed Mick McCarthy as Wolves manager, BBC Sport understands. The former Charlton and West Ham boss is believed to have dropped out because he and chairman Steve Morgan did not share the same vision for the club.

Niall Quinn has stepped down from his role as director of international development at Sunderland after six years with the club. The club's former striker took over as chairman in 2006 before moving into his new role in October. Quinn is now set return to Ireland to concentrate on his family and business interests outside football.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed his regret at passing up the chance to sign Joe Hart for £100,000 earlier in his career.

Hart, 24, joined Manchester City from Shrewsbury in 2006 and has become England's first-choice goalkeeper.

But Ferguson told BBC Radio 5 live: "I could have bought Joe Hart for £100,000 so we all make mistakes."

The Scot also said he would like an ambassadorial role at United after another "two or three years" as boss.

In a wide-ranging interview, the United manager claims Hart will be an England regular for at least another decade and is the best goalkeeper the country has produced for the last 20 years.

After struggling to replace Peter Schmeichel, who left Old Trafford in 1999, Ferguson eventually signed Edwin van der Sar from Fulham in 2005.

Van der Sar retired last summer and although Ferguson has defended the purchase of David de Gea , many United fans will be frustrated to hear that Hart could have been their player.

The United manager claims he could have picked the youngster up from Shrewsbury before he eventually moved to rivals City for an initial £600,000 in 2006.

Ferguson said: "I've no doubt [that Hart will be England goalkeeper for the next 10 years].

"If you look at the England goalkeeper situation for the last 20 years, I would think he's easily the best."

Under Ferguson's guidance, Manchester United have grown to become one of the most decorated club sides in the world, winning 12 domestic league titles and triumphing twice in the Champions League.

Ferguson was due to retire at the end of the 2001-02 campaign but had a change of heart.

And he seems to have been inspired to build the next great United side by the rise to prominence of Manchester City, whom he memorably described as "noisy neighbours."

"I think you always want to go out on a winning note," said Ferguson.

"Hopefully we can do that. I don't know how long I can last now but if my health stays up I don't think another two or three years would harm me."

He also says his wife is keen for him to remain active and has even suggested he becomes a milkman when he steps down as manager.

There has been constant speculation about who will succeed Ferguson, with a string of former players linked with the job at various times.

Ferguson himself is a long-time admirer of Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho and believes the Portuguese would get more 'freedom' to do the job in England than he gets in Spain.

Mourinho was hugely successful at Chelsea and in December spoke of his desire to return to management in the Premier League.

Listen to the full 'Spoony meets Sir Alex Ferguson' interview at 1900 GMT on BBC Radio 5 live

Many thanks to Niall for saving the club I love. I dread to think what stage we would be in without his intervention, I highly doubt we'd be in the Premier League if he hadn't rescued us. He's just a great man and there aren't enough people like him in the game anymore. Had the pleasure of meeting him once and he was just the nicest bloke you could wish for.

Now there's a thought, haven't heard of any of his commitments to that. I'm sure he'll continue to give money and he's a famous face to help so I assume he will stay connected in some ways.

Let's face it, he's going to Ireland to play with his horses. He'll probably still have plenty of time to give and I know he's a huge fan of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation so I'd be surprised if he doesn't remain connected - no idea whether he'll keep his patronage though.