The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

For me part of the drama of the game is a dodgy decision. And if the premier league get it, what about the lower leagues or is it only for teams that can afford it?

I completely agree with this, would be really disappointed if goal-line technology came in.

I don't care how much money is involved these days, we haven't had goal-line technology for the last 100 years so we don't need it now.

What an idiotic stance on this. It's the same thing as saying we didn't have mobile phones/electricity/internet for the last 100 years so we don't need it now. We didn't have it for the past 100 years because it wasn't viable and FIFA were stubborn cunts.

But mobile phones, electricity and the internet have made life easier to live.

It's not so much goal-line technology that is my problem, my problem is where does it stop? Allowing this technology opens the gateway for video replays on other decisions such as off-sides and fouls.

For me part of the drama of the game is a dodgy decision. And if the premier league get it, what about the lower leagues or is it only for teams that can afford it?

I completely agree with this, would be really disappointed if goal-line technology came in.

I don't care how much money is involved these days, we haven't had goal-line technology for the last 100 years so we don't need it now.

What an idiotic stance on this. It's the same thing as saying we didn't have mobile phones/electricity/internet for the last 100 years so we don't need it now. We didn't have it for the past 100 years because it wasn't viable and FIFA were stubborn cunts.

It's not so much goal-line technology that is my problem, my problem is where does it stop? Allowing this technology opens the gateway for video replays on other decisions such as off-sides and fouls.

Goal-line technology will make it easier for refs to ref. This is where it stops, FIFA have made that clear with their criteria on this. There's not going to be video replays or any other stoppages, it's going to be a vibration on the ref's wrist that takes less than a second when the ball crosses the line, that's it. Goal given, move on.

So what? In what other walk of life is human error considered not only ok, but somehow a good thing?

• Like 3

Technology in football has been a long time coming. Its ridiculous that other sports are willing to use technology to advance their sport and cut down on human errors while football stands idly by and does nothing as errors punish teams by costing them goals, points and qualification in tournaments.

• Like 1

Im for it. In certain situations its clearly waranted like when France got through to the world cup last year instead of Ireland. In the long run certain decisions costs points, Points win title and european places which mean money. The stakes are too high nowadays to leave it to chance.

Anyways in other news im going to be in newcastle at the weekend and I am very much looking forward to Newcastle VS Man Utd. Should be a good match and seems like a big fixture again because of newcastles standing in the league.

People shouldn't get bent out of shape about it, not least because this is only going to come into play when we get 'was it a goal or wasn't it?' moments. How many of those do we get in a season? It isn't like offsides and fouls where there are up to a dozen a game. And we will never have video replays for fouls, that's just silly.

I would love to see them implement technology to determine offsides though. Right pain in the arse when they get those wrong.

The argument that it adds to the 'drama' is rubbish IMO, there is plenty of drama in football that has nothing to do with one individual getting something wrong. I don't watch a goalline decision given wrong and go "oh, what great drama!". I watch it and go "ffs, that should be a goal! Unfair and all because of the incompetence of a linesman!"

The "we didn't need it for the last 100 years" argument is even worse, people have complained about it for years. And that "hawkeye bollocks?" Universal approval from all in tennis, it is an excellent facet of the game, and indeed it does add drama and excitement when you get to see if it was in the line or not, and even adds another tactical aspect because players can use it only a certain number of times in a match.

• Like 1

• Admin

More humans to make errors for me. In various games that they have been implemented in they've still managed to miss clear penalty shouts - and also if they're stannding behind the goal then surely their view is not accurate enough; and may be partially obstructed by the post/net/players.

I liked the extra officials by each goal personally.

The mere fact that when these officials have been implemented they have STILL got penalty decisions wrong makes me hate that idea. I was furious when they added them to more competitions after a 'successful' trial in the Europa League, despite every manager in the competition criticising them and calling them unnecessary all season.

More humans to make errors for me. In various games that they have been implemented in they've still managed to miss clear penalty shouts - and also if they're stannding behind the goal then surely their view is not accurate enough; and may be partially obstructed by the post/net/players.

The mere fact that when these officials have been implemented they have STILL got penalty decisions wrong makes me hate that idea. I was furious when they added them to more competitions after a 'successful' trial in the Europa League, despite every manager in the competition criticising them and calling them unnecessary all season.

I'm only suggesting because I still don't think we'll see a working goal line technology found for a while.

I hadn't seen the criticizing you guys mention. I just assumed it'd worked quite well, because it should be easy for them to be spot on about goal mouth incidents from there.

Im for it. In certain situations its clearly waranted like when France got through to the world cup last year instead of Ireland. In the long run certain decisions costs points, Points win title and european places which mean money. The stakes are too high nowadays to leave it to chance.

Anyways in other news im going to be in newcastle at the weekend and I am very much looking forward to Newcastle VS Man Utd. Should be a good match and seems like a big fixture again because of newcastles standing in the league.

Goal line technology wouldn't have helped in that situation, and we're away to Man U.

Edited by Colly

The funny thing is that the "100 years" could be used to disprove practically every rule in Football. Offsides? Less than 100 years. Penalties? Less than 100 years. Substitutions? Less than 100 years. Sendings off? I think it's JUST around 100 years.

Point is, the game has been evolving ever since it started. Just because you haven't seen a big change in your lifetime doesn't mean that it shouldn't happen.

Actually, even if you have been watching football for the past five years then you'll have noticed that several types of tackles have been banned because they have been considered highly dangerous. Sliding tackles from behind have almost completely been removed from the game, scissor tackles have been banned due to a series of high profile injuries. And to think when the game was first invented it was possible to snap the legs of the opposition player and get away with it without so much as a foul.

• Like 1

The offside rules changed completely in recent years and I can just about remember backpass coming in. Football changes, and top flight will always be different to park football. They have nets for a start...

I'm only suggesting because I still don't think we'll see a working goal line technology found for a while.

I hadn't seen the criticizing you guys mention. I just assumed it'd worked quite well, because it should be easy for them to be spot on about goal mouth incidents from there.

Well that's exactly it...they SHOULD be spot on, yet somehow they still aren't.

I know for a fact Moyes was against them after some crucial decisions passed them by last time Everton were in Europe, and I may be imagining it but I seem to recall Martin O'Neill and Mark Hughes speaking out against it as well.

Looks like Tevez might be getting his wish to move closer to Argentina.

With AC Milan. :shifty:

As an aside, it might be my FM based knowledge of how football transfers work, but how can his agent be in Milan discussing personal terms when Milan haven't even made a transfer offer?