The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Can't remember where I read it but when he came in AVB apparently made major changes to the training ground and took away lots of the privileges the players got there, perhaps that's gone down badly with the Boys club :P

I've not seen that anywhere, but then I don't read the gutter press who presumably produced it.

I think it was either BBC or the Guardian. But it was way back in the summer.

The guardians usually quite spot on with it's reporting. Especially when it comes to investigative journalism. They don't usually engage in speculation. At the end of the day if Roman wanted him and was willing to pay that amount For him he should stand by him.

Edited by jocky

I think it was either BBC or the Guardian. But it was way back in the summer.

The guardians usually quite spot on with it's reporting. Especially when it comes to investigative journalism. They don't usually engage in speculation. At the end of the day if Roman wanted him and was willing to pay that amount For him he should stand by him.

Given that The Guardian, as with most newspapers, claimed that Hiddink was to be Chelsea's new manager right up until the day AVB signed, they don't really deserve to be set apart from the rest of the media when they all follow the same false leads as each other.

They were always mentioning villa boas in the sports section long before it was officially announced.

In the guardian anyway. I rate it higher than most for news

Anyway.

Edited by jocky

He was mentioned - as was Harry Redknapp! - purely because they were following what the bookmakers' odds were doing. Extrapolating meaning from betting odds is a favourite pastime of the sporting media, and demonstrates no real journalistic merit.

For me part of the drama of the game is a dodgy decision. And if the premier league get it, what about the lower leagues or is it only for teams that can afford it?

I completely agree with this, would be really disappointed if goal-line technology came in.

I've always felt this.

I'd hate to see football go down the route of "challenges" and all that hawk-eye bollocks. I don't care how much money is involved these days, we haven't had goal-line technology for the last 100 years so we don't need it now.

For me part of the drama of the game is a dodgy decision. And if the premier league get it, what about the lower leagues or is it only for teams that can afford it?

I completely agree with this, would be really disappointed if goal-line technology came in.

I don't care how much money is involved these days, we haven't had goal-line technology for the last 100 years so we don't need it now.

What an idiotic stance on this. It's the same thing as saying we didn't have mobile phones/electricity/internet for the last 100 years so we don't need it now. We didn't have it for the past 100 years because it wasn't viable and FIFA were stubborn cunts.

• Like 4