The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

But there's no rule that says thats a yellow card, in fact the rules on bookings are so subjective that only the likes of the G Neville incident last year tend to get pulled up by the media for scrutiny. Referees discretion can be applied far more than with a red (goal-scoring opportunity, violent conduct etc are pretty clear cut) and when the 'contact' was as dubious as that was the referee is well within his rights to not give Ferdinand an undeserved second yellow card.

I'm not a fan of either team, but I'm certainly not a fan of players being dismissed by the actions of tumbling Scotsmen.

I'm still just stunned by Giggs in the wall, totally cost his team that goal in a rubbish, 'unveteranlike' (TM Jim Ross) display.

Edited by Colly

It was a hard decision I think, in real time it looked as if Adam dived but in slow motion there was definite contact, but I suppose if the ref gave the freekick then I agree in the laws of the game it should of been a booking. But if Ferdinand had been sent off what guarantee would there have been for Gerrard scoring the freekick? We could have put a different wall up with Rio off the pitch and then Gerrard's shot would've just hit the wall. See what I mean about those decisions though, you can argue them until you're blue in the face saying the game would've change etc but you can't predict how it would've changed the game.

Of course there's no guarantee that Gerrard scores the freekick if you sent off Ferdinand, but that again isn't the point I'm making. My point here was never "Liverpool got screwed" - I said originally that I didn't think it was a foul - my point has always been "the referee bottled it".

Also.

I see Evra's up to his old "He said racist remarks to me" tricks after todays match. Has accussed Suarez of saying racist remarks to him during the game.

Must be the 5th or 6th time he's used the race card. Said it about Finnan who got cleared, said it about the Chelsea groundstaff they got cleared. He's said the ref was aware of it if that was the case then why didn't anything happen? <_<

So, Collymore is blowing up his Twitter feed with a lot of talk about the European Club Association and the fact that a number of English and Scottish teams (Arsenal, Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Newcastle, Spurs, Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic and Hearts are the ones he mentioned) could ceed from their leagues and join a European Super League. I imagine it is all hyperbole but does anyone know of any other articles on this subject?

So, Collymore is blowing up his Twitter feed with a lot of talk about the European Club Association and the fact that a number of English and Scottish teams (Arsenal, Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Newcastle, Spurs, Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic and Hearts are the ones he mentioned) could ceed from their leagues and join a European Super League. I imagine it is all hyperbole but does anyone know of any other articles on this subject?

World Soccer League proposal

Presume this was Stans level of 'research'.

• Like 1

Sunderland seem to have quite a bad habbit of letting in early goals i've noticied.

And just like that though they are back in it.

Fuck this season. Seriously.

We go from looking like a top 4 side to looking like relegation material in a matter of seconds. Just no confidence at all when we don't have the ball. The home crowd certainly doesn't help at the best of times I'm sure.

And I think I can count a world class save Sczcesny has made in every home game this season.

I'd hate to think where we would be right now without van Persie's goals.

Edited by Gooner27
  • Like 1