The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

My votes for the 20 seasons thing;

Game: Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle

Goal: Rooney overhead kick vs Man City (Closely followed by Di Canio's volley and Yeboah's against Liverpool)

Celebration: Always liked Robbie Keane's cartwheel, roll and guns but suppose I'll go for Ketsbaia.

Save: Schmeichel vs Newcastle

Team: Peter Schmeichel, Gary Neville, Sol Campbell, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Steven Gerrard, Cristiano Ronaldo, Eric Cantona, Alan Shearer

Edited by Starvinho

Four-year old Sam Livingstone got the surprise of his life on Saturday afternoon when Papiss Cisse arrived at his house in Bedlington to see the football-mad youngster.

Back in January, shortly after Papiss had signed for United from SC Freiburg, Sam decided to send Papiss a 'Welcome to Newcastle' card, rather than the traditional Valentines Day card he was busy preparing for his mother at school - although he later admits she did get one too!

And Papiss was so taken by the gesture from Sam, when the card duly arrived at Newcastle's Benton Training Centre, that he arranged a secret visit to the home of the young United fan to say a personal thank you'

After opening the door to United's new number nine, and having to pinch himself before realising who it was, Sam, still in a daze, said: "I couldn't believe my eyes when Dad told me and my brother Jack to go and see who was at the door.

"To then see Papiss Cisse standing there, well that was amazing, that just doesn't happen! He came inside, brought us some really great gifts and then showed us his car which was amazing. It was brilliant!"

Brother Jack, whose seventh birthday just happened to be on Saturday too, added: "We didn't know anything about the visit and it was just a great day for us."

Papiss said: "The welcome I have received in Newcastle has been incredible and I thank everyone who has helped me settle in. From those at the club to the thousands of supporters who I think are simply fantastic, I am deeply touched.

"Going to see Sam and his family was just my way of saying a special thank you to a young fan who showed genuine kindness in welcoming me to a new country and new club. I must thank them also for the Easter bunny they gave me, it was very nice."

Dad John, who somehow kept the secret of Papiss' visit to himself, added: "This has really made Sam's year and I cannot put into words how grateful I am that Papiss gave up his time to come and see Sam, we are all ever so grateful.

"Footballers don't always get the credit they deserve for things away from the football field, this gesture from Papiss just shows what a genuine, down to earth and tremendous person he is."

0,,10278~10741824,00.jpg

:wub:

He's like Balotelli without the evil!

• Like 7

My top three goals are probably all Le Tissier. :w00t:

Or Tony Yeboah.

The best match was when Southampton put 5 past Man Utd (unlisted).....Or the Tottenham come-back against Arsenal - I've never gone quite so crazy.

You're being kind. I believe it was 6. (6-3, the game with the grey/white and blue stripes kits)

Yes that's the one. The grey kits were never worn again.

Great move by Cisse. Wonderful.

Also Rooney's overhead shin is shit. Roo's best ever goal was his rage shot against the Barcodes.

How dare you say that about the greatest goal of all time ever? A player of Rooney's talent meant to connect with his shin and put the ball in the opposite corner to where his foot was aiming, who are you to doubt him? <_<

We didn't lose 6-3 in the grey kit.

The grey kit was 95-96 and we lost 3-1 or 3-0 I think.

The 6-3 was in 96-97 just a week after the 5-0 vs Newcastle and we wore the blue and white stripes. Keane was sent off, Le Tissier chipped Schmeichel and their Norwegian striker got a hat trick.

Also the 'rage shot' was assisted by awful defending from Peter Ramage, which takes away from it for me. I'm still saying Di Canio or Bergkamp, even if Bergkamp doesn't even rate it that highly.

Edit: According to Le Tiss he didn't even look for that lob, just remembered Albert had done it the week before and thought Schmeichel would be in the same place. Genius.

Edited by Colly

Also the 'rage shot' was assisted by awful defending from Peter Ramage, which takes away from it for me. I'm still saying Di Canio or Bergkamp, even if Bergkamp doesn't even rate it that highly.

Edit: According to Le Tiss he didn't even look for that lob, just remembered Albert had done it the week before and thought Schmeichel would be in the same place. Genius.

I voted Bergkamp's. It was fantastic.

Great move by Cisse. Wonderful.

Also Rooney's overhead shin is shit. Roo's best ever goal was his rage shot against the Barcodes.

Can't believe people are still calling Rooney's overhead shit. If Messi or some other football bum-boy had scored it then it would've been called the best goal ever. It was a stunning goal, even if it did come off his shin. Try it the next time you play and I guarantee you'll fall on your arse. Even if you make contact you'll probably scuff it or balloon it a mile over/wide. I know this because I sepnt many a training session trying to perfect it and I probably scored only a handful throughout my life, never in a match though and nothing as spectacular as Rooney's. In my opinion it's the hardest skill in the game and that's why I rate the goal so much.

And this isn't just United bias, I've loved overhead kicks all my life and before Rooney's effort, this was my favourite;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q0ANjqm0YY

• Like 1