The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Early odds:

PFA Player of the Year odds: Van Persie 1/4, Silva 6-1, Rooney 6-1, Aguero 9/1, Parker 25/1 & Hart 33/1

PFA Young Player of the Year odds: Aguero 5/4, Welbeck 5/2, Bale 5/2, Walker 8/1, Oxlade-Chamberlain 12/1, Sturridge 16/1

Van Persie is overwhelming favourite, be shocking if he didn't win it.

I think Welbeck has had an excellent season, he's a player who rarely has a bad game and his work off the ball goes uncredited. I think he deserves his nomination.

He's played alright in a (potentially) title winning United side.

That's about it.

He's good, and getting better. But to be 2nd fav to win it?

You've got a point about being second fav, Aguero, Bale and Walker would be ahead of him in my opinion. But he definitely deserves his nomination.

Only thing I can say about Valencia is he didn't really come into form until December/January and then was injured for 6 weeks in February/March too. Probably didn't do enough in the season as a whole.

I'd probably say Valencia not being on there is a bit shocking.

Problem I have with say Silva and Aguero being nominated is they had a bit of a period where they faded during the season compared to players like Valencia who has been consistently good throughout the season.

Van Persie has to win the Player of the Year and either Aguero/Walker for me in the Young Player of the Year. Also dunno why but it kinda annoys me when someone is nominated for both awards.

I'm not saying he's not but it just seemed over the top the way they did it and what they showed from the game today. It just seemed a bit too much, anyone would think it was his birthday or he was retiring (again) or something.

Tired of the "Paul Scholes makes 5 yard passes, it isn't that hard" crap.

What other English player can make those 5 yard passes without giving the ball away? Not one. Hence why, when we play any notable country, we're shown up for being totally unable to keep the ball. Hell, most of the so-called "lesser" nations keep the ball better than we do.

I'm not saying he's not but it just seemed over the top the way they did it and what they showed from the game today. It just seemed a bit too much, anyone would think it was his birthday or he was retiring (again) or something.

What other English player can make those 5 yard passes without giving the ball away? Not one. Hence why, when we play any notable country, we're shown up for being totally unable to keep the ball. Hell, most of the so-called "lesser" nations keep the ball better than we do.

Scotty Parker. (Y) He also tackles better, but Scholes has a better long pass and shot.

Michael Carrick :shifty:

Off the top of my head:

James-Milner-001.jpg

Scott%20Parker_633573286844843750.jpg

Jack-Wilshere-001.jpg

_58699839_tom-cleverley_getty.jpg

• Like 1