The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

• Admin
Former Northern Ireland boss Lawrie Sanchez says he believes there will be a female manager in the Premier League within the next decade.

Barnet manager Sanchez told the BBC: "Whatever is said at the top level, we're in an entertainment business.

"Someone, somewhere will appoint a female manager," he said in a programme to be broadcast on Wednesday.

West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady said: "[sexism] is one of the hardest things to change in any organisation."

Sanchez was speaking in a documentary entitled 'Sexism in Football?', which will be broadcast on Wednesday at 2245 BST on BBC One.

"I have a bet going with a mate that there will be a female Premier League manager within 10 years because whatever is said at the top level, we're in an entertainment business," he said.

"Whether [she is appointed] because she's the best person out there or because of the commercial aspect that comes with it, the reason will be that it is the best situation for the club."

Brady, who became the first female managing director of a Football League club aged just 23 when she took charge at Birmingham in 1993, added: "It really comes down to culture.

"It only comes from change right at the very top where people really fundamentally, honestly and passionately believe that things need to be changed - not just what do we look like."

Football's male-orientated environment has arguably shown some signs of change in recent times.

Uefa appointed Karen Espelund to its committee and the Norwegian is now considered one of the most powerful women in world football.

There are also a growing number of female assistant referees, including Sian Massey, while the Football Association appointed Heather Rabbatts, formerly executive deputy chair at Millwall, as its director last year.

Rabbatts said: "It is a man's game, but in terms of what goes on around the support of those players can it be more diverse and inclusive? Yes it can.

"We've moved a long way from those few lone black players in terms of the diversity of race we see on the pitch which I think is absolutely brilliant.

"Now can we get some diversity around what happens in football, which particularly includes and represents women?"

'Sexism in Football?' is on BBC 1 on Wednesday, 4 April at 2245 BST

Given the choice, I'd take survival over the Carling Cup.

I always just assume we will always be safe just because we are Aston Villa. But I bet Newcastle and Leeds thought the same thing. I'm getting really worried now Wigan and the like are picking up wins.

• Admin
An infuriated Sir Alex Ferguson has lost the second of Manchester United's two supreme teenage talents in midfielder Paul Pogba, who has been lured to Juventus by the promise of £830,000 a season.

Ferguson had made public pleas to both Pogba and Ravel Morrison – another member of last season's Youth Cup-winning side described by Paul Scholes as United's best since the fabled side of 1992 – to put their careers before money but the 18-year-old French player has been undeterred and his departure this summer now means United will secure only around £300,000 "training compensation". The deal will also secure £1.6m commission for Pogba's agent, Mino Raiola. The agent's demands are understood to have been a particular sticking point in negotiations.

Manchester City, Milan and Arsenal had all been made aware of Pogba's possible availability and he is now unlikely to be involved in first-team training again at United, following his decision to disregard Ferguson's entreaties and leave. The relationship between manager and player had deteriorated badly in the past few weeks, with suggestions that a row with Ferguson had led to him being dropped from the squad to face Ajax at Old Trafford two weeks ago and forced to train with the reserves.

Raiola told The Independent last week that it was "a precarious situation" and "difficult at the moment. Manchester United want him. It is up to the boy to make some decisions." Asked if there were uncertainties about whether his future lay at United, Raiola said: "Not from our side but that is a question to ask Mr Ferguson."

Pogba's arrival at United was as contentious as his departure has proved to be. The club were cleared by Fifa to sign the then 16-year-old from Le Havre in October 2009, following accusations of poaching by the French club. Ferguson publicly warned Pogba before Christmas not to wreck his United chances, after Raiola was engaged to work on the contract discussions.

The Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli claims his club do not fear United in the battle for the Premier League title. The enigmatic 21-year-old, who also admitted that a visit to a strip club last week had been a "mistake", is confident City will finish above Ferguson's team.

"We are a great group," Balotelli told Gazzetta dello Sport. "We have quality. If we remain together until the end, United will finish behind us and they are not to be feared."

-The Independent.

Is that true?

Nowhere else reporting it so far and haven't seen it on any of the main United forums. I cant even find it on their own website for that matter, so it sounds like a load of bollocks regarding Pogba?

Edit: Also says two weeks ago when playing Ajax, so likely just an old article around the time the Juve rumors were floating about.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

• Admin

Thought it was highly likely bollocks but probably worth posting anyway :lol:

What is the latest on him then?

Anderlecht starlet Mathias Bossaerts has confirmed that he has agreed a move to Manchester City.

The 15-year-old Belgian has long been linked with a switch to City, who have been following him for a number of years.

Now the highly-rated central defender has agreed a four-year deal with City and will move to England this summer.

Manchester United and Liverpool were also understood to be keen, but he has now pledged his future to City.

"Manchester City has been following me for almost three years," he told Het Nieuwsblad.

"I always shunned them, but their scouts kept watching me and continued to follow me.

"Eventually I agreed a deal with them after extensive consultation between my agents and my parents.

"In July I move to Manchester, where I have already found a house for my family to live with me. It is important for my development that my mum and dad stay close to me."

• Admin

Other football lines this morning:

QPR have handed a trial to Jacob Mellis, 21, who recently left Chelsea after a smoke grenade was set off at their training ground. The midfielder played and scored in Rangers' 2-1 reserve defeat against West Ham on Tuesday.

Newcastle United scout Graham Carr said he wanted to sign Senegal striker Papiss Cisse for Manchester City when he was part of their scouting setup. "I saw Papiss Cisse play for Metz when he first came over from Senegal [in 2005]. He didn't have a passport to come into the UK, so that ruled him out," he told talkSPORT.

• Admin

He's on Twitter now, too. He want's to 'learn Geordie'!

Sunderland have been charged with failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during Saturday's Premier League match at Manchester City, according to the Football Association.

Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers says he's spoken to Tottenham about bringing central defender Steven Caulker back to the Liberty Stadium next season. "He has made a massive jump in his career through playing games here," said Rodgers. "It's down to where they see him fitting in there next season."

Bolton boss Owen Coyle has been given the Premier League Manager of the Month Award, having guided the Trotters to 16th in the league and three wins in March. His achievements are given extra poignancy in light of Fabrice Muamba's health scare. Swansea's on-loan midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson has been named the Premier League Player of the Month for March. The Iceland international has been in great form for the Swans since joining on loan in January, though the Welsh club are yet to contact parent outfit Hoffenheim to enquire about a permanent deal.

Definitely not obsessed though. Not at all. Nope, natural rivals are Man Utd and Barcelona etc.

EDIT: In all seriousness, as I am a little bit scared, Cisse.. signed to go with Ba or signed to be Ba's replacement for next season do you think?

Edited by IAceI

Absolutely no idea, if you believe the papers all of our players are for sale and they all want to leave, despite recent evidence to the contrary. Our league position cheers me up in that respect, and Carroll must go down as a cautionary tale to anyone wanting out of a very strong side.

As far as Ba goes our current formation doesn't suit him at all, playing on the left of a front three. He's looked okay but not half the player he was before the ACON (I blame a fictional second Ramadan), and that position would suit Marveaux or even Jonas far better. No idea, but I'd prefer him to stay. If not we get a fee and reinvest.

Well I'm under the impression that while success would obviously be welcome on Tyneside, and expected by some, there remains the fact that players need to be moved on to keep turnover going. If Newcastle can bring in players for relatively cheap, sell them for big money and then spend relatively cheap again on players and continue the cycle - all while maintaining success - then good on them. There's plenty of teams out there that are forced to act like this, most teams in Belgium, France and Portugal seem to have their best players picked off time and again and just replace them continuously.

If Ba went for however much I think Newcastle would be fine, I partly do believe that Cisse was brought in with the idea of him taking over from Ba - he's settled so quickly though that it's probably all just gone a bit quicker than neccessary. The difference is players who are happy to play for the club but are told they need to move on so the club can take the money and the players who engineer moves away from their clubs, to a degree, but your cautionary tale could be easily extended from Carroll to include Henderson, Barton, Nolan, perhaps Bent as well - the grass isn't always greener away from the north east. Although it nearly all their cases the money is much greater I suppose.

Explains why he tailed off halfway through calling Anton Ferdinand a 'black country dwelling lovely man who I respect greatly'.

Back to Newcastle selling players isn't a requirement to break even, we achieved a tiny operating loss based on the last figures released, and with the likes of Smith and Xisco finally set to drop off we should be about there. Question as always is the motivation of Skinny Mike, who of course still has a massive loan to pay off, really just depends how quick he wants it.

Explains why he tailed off halfway through calling Anton Ferdinand a 'black country dwelling lovely man who I respect greatly'.

Back to Newcastle selling players isn't a requirement to break even, we achieved a tiny operating loss based on the last figures released, and with the likes of Smith and Xisco finally set to drop off we should be about there. Question as always is the motivation of Skinny Mike, who of course still has a massive loan to pay off, really just depends how quick he wants it.

I'm sure I read that you made a slight loss including the £35m sale of Carroll? :-\