The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

• Admin

:lol: - who knows, McLeish could be building a dynasty!!

Tweets by Katie Price and Rio Ferdinand will be investigated by a watchdog amid claims they broke advertising rules.

The Twitter messages by glamour model Price and footballer Ferdinand were promoting Snickers chocolate bars.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has launched a formal inquiry into whether the tweets made it clear they were marketing communications.

The ASA acted following two complaints and said it would publish its findings in due course.

It said in a statement: "The ASA has launched a formal investigation into tweets by Katie Price and Rio Ferdinand to establish whether Mars' @SnickersUK#hungry#spon campaign is in breach of the Advertising Codes.

"We are investigating two points: (a) whether it should have been stated in the 'teaser' tweets that they were marketing communications and (b) whether the hashtag "#spon" in the final 'reveal' tweet made it clear enough that that tweet was a marketing communication."

Price sent spoof tweets on subjects such as the Eurozone debt crisis, China's GDP figures and the economic concept of quantitative easing.

Ferdinand wrote on 24 January: "Can't wait 2 get home from training and finish that cardigan", followed by "Cardy finished. Now 4 the matching mittens!!!"

They both tweeted the final pay-off line: "You're not you when you're hungry."

Price has 1.5 million followers on Twitter and Ferdinand has 1.9 million.

Boxer Amir Khan, cricketer Sir Ian Botham and singer Cher Lloyd have also been involved in the campaign.

Wait, so is the issue them being paid for promoting it, or just promoting it?

But fuck me, why the hell do people care? Go give a shit about something worthwhile, like your husband/wife playing away because you're a dull bastard :shifty:.

• Like 1

It's promoting it via a method in breach of the advertising code. Effectively they've gained a load of followers through their inane ramblings and are suddenly a big unregulated advertising medium. I'm not on Twitter, but even though I wouldn't complain I'd be a tad annoyed to be advertised at by twats, who admittedly I wouldn't be following anyway...

• Admin
Former Wales striker Nathan Blake has revealed he was once the victim of a racist death threat.

Blake says he received the threat in a package while playing for Premier League side Blackburn Rovers.

The 39-year-old received the package after withdrawing from a Wales squad, alleging racism.

"Inside were some nuts and also some abusive writing," Blake, who also played for Cardiff and Bolton, told BBC Wales' Sport Wales programme.

"But inside also was a picture of Jill Dando [murdered BBC presenter] with a picture of a gun with a bullet going towards her head. Underneath was written, 'you're next'.

"The club captain wanted me to take it to the police. But you tend to chuck these things away and move on. That was just one of numerous [racist] things that happened to me in my career."

Blake, who played 29 times for Wales, spoke of his experience after the issue of racial abuse has crept into football in recent months.

Liverpool's Luis Suarez is serving a ban for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra and the allegation that Oldham's Tom Adeyemi had to endure racist abusefrom a section of the Liverpool crowd during an FA Cup match at Anfield.

"The racial element - I don't think people quite understand the nerve that touches because of the history involved," insisted Blake.

"I had made various complaints and pulled out of squads. It had been well publicised and that's when I received the parcel."

England captain John Terry is due to appear before magistrates on Wednesday, 1 February on a racially aggravated public order offence - something he strenuously denies.

Both Blake and current Cardiff City and Wales striker Robert Earnshaw say that if Terry is found guilty then it would be difficult for him to carry on as England captain.

"Could John Terry carry on as England skipper? That would be hard because this goes beyond football," said Earnshaw.

"Things obviously have to be proven first, but if he was found guilty then a line would have been crossed."

Sport Wales, BBC Two Wales, Friday, 27 January 2200 GMT

It's promoting it via a method in breach of the advertising code. Effectively they've gained a load of followers through their inane ramblings and are suddenly a big unregulated advertising medium. I'm not on Twitter, but even though I wouldn't complain I'd be a tad annoyed to be advertised at by twats, who admittedly I wouldn't be following anyway...

This didn't directly answer my question, but I'm gonna assume only people who are registered advertisers have to follow the advertising code? Because if I got bollocked for telling everyone how awesome Kinder Bueno's are, I'd have a body count in the billions.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

I believe that article as much as I believe that pigs can fly in the sky and poo out lumps of gold. Sounds a bit bitter from a paper based in Birmingham about a former player who played for a Birmingham based team.

I do believe however Downing is pretty crap.

No chance that's true. You're not telling me that Liverpool bought a player because of a Youtube video, for £20 million no less.

Yeah, right. I'm sure Werner & Henry said "You know what, I think this 73 second Youtube clip is proof enough that we should spend £20 million."

Nonsense.

• Like 2

I believe that article as much as I believe that pigs can fly in the sky and poo out lumps of gold. Sounds a bit bitter from a paper based in Birmingham about a former player who played for a Birmingham based team.

While the concept of pigs that fly in the sky is indeed absurd, the idea that pigs are capable of pooing out lumps of gold is not. Consider that fossil fuels are some of the most valuable liquid deposits around, and then that the carbon is generally what burns and releases the energy that we need. As such, there are several studies that demonstrate that carbon in poo is an important part of the greater overall ecosystem. Consider, as well, that methane, also a flammable compound, is found in feces, and you are talking about some very valuable pig shit there. So while it may not be lumps of gold, I'm sure if you had enough of it you could trade it for gold, given the current price as listed by the following graphs:

gold_1d_k_GBP.png ~ 1q_small.gif

Obviously, this doesn't prove or disprove the article, but it is something to think about.

Also, I want bacon.

• Like 3

While the concept of pigs that fly in the sky is indeed absurd, the idea that pigs are capable of pooing out lumps of gold is not. Consider that fossil fuels are some of the most valuable liquid deposits around, and then that the carbon is generally what burns and releases the energy that we need. As such, there are several studies that demonstrate that carbon in poo is an important part of the greater overall ecosystem. Consider, as well, that methane, also a flammable compound, is found in feces, and you are talking about some very valuable pig shit there. So while it may not be lumps of gold, I'm sure if you had enough of it you could trade it for gold, given the current price as listed by the following graphs:

gold_1d_k_GBP.png ~ 1q_small.gif

Obviously, this doesn't prove or disprove the article, but it is something to think about.

Also, I want bacon.

How long did it take you think about all that to write :P Also....i'll give you bacon if you get me some pig shit :pervert:

You idiot, you think I'd give up valuable bacon just for pig shit? Bacon is priceless!